Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmon View Post
    The examples I gave above are for bolt actions

With the rifles the same weight a Grendel recoils about 30% less than a Creedmoor
    With the Grendel rifle weighing a pound less than the creedmoor the Grendel is has about 25% less recoil. That is more of a real world scenario since the factory Grendel bolt actions will finish off about a pound less than a Creedmoor.

In an AR the Grendel is not that much more than a 223 in recoil
    Can you run that with a 6mm creed vs 6.5 creed?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
      Almost identical to a 243

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
        Almost identical to a 243
        It IS a .243/6mm Rem!!!!!

6mm based on a .308 win necked down.

Same cartridge different name and slightly different shape.

Comment

i would have to say its 223 vs a 308

Comment

The examples I gave above are for bolt actions

With the rifles the same weight a Grendel recoils about 30% less than a Creedmoor
            With the Grendel rifle weighing a pound less than the creedmoor the Grendel is has about 25% less recoil. That is more of a real world scenario since the factory Grendel bolt actions will finish off about a pound less than a Creedmoor.

In an AR the Grendel is not that much more than a 223 in recoil
            My AR Grendel kicks substantially more than a 223 AR.

Comment

I know I am partial to the Grendel, what's not to like, accurate, low recoil, efficient, easy to shoot with enough energy for anything in Texas except a few big exotics. I have killed deer with 35 different cartridges and none really killed them any better than the Grendel.

After getting a :custom: bolt action built a few years ago (before there were any factory options), that is all I have hunted with. Thinking about making a lot of room in the safe selling off some other than a couple big guns incase of doing another elk hunt and the family guns that are in there and a few small caliber guns.
              I am having a hard time getting my Grendel to produce an exit wounds. I am shooting Hornady SST 123's. Shot three deer now with no exit wound. I will say that the bullet mushrooms up VERY well and does a ton of damage so the deer do not go far. What are you having the most luck with?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                I am having a hard time getting my Grendel to produce an exit wounds. I am shooting Hornady SST 123's. Shot three deer now with no exit wound. I will say that the bullet mushrooms up VERY well and does a ton of damage so the deer do not go far. What are you having the most luck with?
                Shot 3 big does last weekend. First one low behind the shoulder, she jumped and just stood there. I put another one thru the same spot. She walked 15yds and fell over dead. Two exits not much bigger than caliber. Next day I shot one high shoulder. No exit. Shot another one high shoulder and got a large exit wound. Bot shoulder shots caused massive tissue damage, ruined both shoulders. I found two pieces of the bullet that didnt exit.
                Last edited by Walker; 12-14-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

What ammo were you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                    this is the calculator I used for those. Would have to lookup the entries for the 6mm Creedmoor. Easy to use though just need bullet weight, powder weight and velocity.
                    An online calculator that calculates the recoil energy, impulse, and velocity of a firearm according to the firearm's weight, powder charge, bullet weight, and bullet muzzle velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      Use the Barnes TTSX. They blow straight through.......and Inhave yet to have one expand significantly.

120gr NBT and have had 2/3 passed through.

Comment

The calculator is great Kevin thanks

Comment

I haven't tried the cavity back bullets but they make 2 fro the Grendel. It is an all copper bullet that expands well with 3 petals and has a hollow base to hold more powder in the little Grendel. Being a monometal bullet you get plenty of penetration but nor as much massive damage. Did read that someone recovered on but it was under the skin at the ham on an almost frontal shot.

I use the 129gr Long range Accubond from Nosler @ 2500fps, with it expect about a quarter size entrance and half dollar exit. With massive damage in the first 6 inches or more of entry, it sheds most of the weight it sheds in that area as secondary projectiles.

The 123gr SST is the most popular bullet for the Grendel and sometimes it exits sometimes it doesn't but does kill deer and hogs quite well. There have been deer, hogs, black bear and elk killed cleanly with that bullet. I have only killed deer and hogs with it. Have killed a few hogs and coyotes with the 123gr A-Max as well, but only one exit on a broadside coyote.

The Berger 130gr VLD hunting for Brian when he was testing it exited every time with a quarter to half dollar exit. Grendel velocities are low enough it doesn't come totally apart.

Federal loads a 120gr Fusion bullet for it that at least on ribs in and ribs out has been producing good exits from what I have read.

There is another company working on a copper bullet for the Grendel that I know of don't expect to see them before next Summer unless I get some to test on hogs.

A lot of the time I think those small exit holes from the Hornady bullets is a piece of the core that was big enough to hold together and exit after separating from the jacket.

The 130gr accubond and Sirocco have been good for some but with those I want a little more velocity than the Grendel can muster unless the shots are within 200 yards

Comment

Good info. Thank you

Comment

Think... 7.62x39 (AK-47) vs .308win (AR-10)

Those are the parent cases, both necked down to 6.5

Comment

forgot to mention on the cavity back bullets one member at the 65grendel forum was ask to test accuracy and BC on them, they adjusted the BC to his findings from drop at 1000 yards where he shot groups of .7 MOA so it is definitely accurate enough for hunting. He was not pushing it that fast either around 100fps below max with the 118 gr bullet. Brian that has the Carpe Sus

Here is Brian's review of Berger bullet on killing hogs

Results are presented on the performance of Berger VLD-Hunting on 18 hogs shot in Texas during Spring 2016. For Berger's description of their bullets and per...

Comment

Working...
                                X