Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
    It's the perception that grown men think it's ok to not wear a harness in a tree stand, and the younger or impressionable people following your misguided stance that's rubbing most of us wrong. You are possibly gambling with other people's safety, not just your own.
    I understand your point but I am not telling anyone else what to do. I am simply saying that people are free to make their own decisions. The fact that not everyone agrees is not a bad thing. It is what make this the greatest place in the world to live. If you are right and I fall from a tree and die then that should be far more useful in your efforts to get other people to share your opinion.....I could become the poster child for your movement. You should be thanking me...LOL. Like I said before I am not mad at anyone. As far as I am concerned we can all be friends. I just hate it when people push their opinions on others. It has always been a sore spot for me. You wear a harness and I do not. I support both of our decisions.

-john

Comment

I use the tree spider harness with the descent system. the free ones that come with stands aren't worth a crap-you need one that has the foot saddles so when you fall you can get the pressure off your groin area.

we are all free to make our own choices if we wear one or not,but I look at it as another thing to keep me safe while doing what I love and making it home safe to my family
      Last edited by perow; 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
        I understand your point but I am not telling anyone else what to do. I am simply saying that people are free to make their own decisions. The fact that not everyone agrees is not a bad thing. It is what make this the greatest place in the world to live. If you are right and I fall from a tree and die then that should be far more useful in your efforts to get other people to share your opinion.....I could become the poster child for your movement. You should be thanking me...LOL. Like I said before I am not mad at anyone. As far as I am concerned we can all be friends. I just hate it when people push their opinions on others. It has always been a sore spot for me. You wear a harness and I do not. I support both of our decisions.

-john
        I understand your point as well. But this is a public forum, not a real hunting campfire. There's a time and place for everything. The lack of, or outright defying hunters safety doesn't belong here. Sorry you can't recognize that.

Comment

Good grief... unfortunately the "ignore list" didn't save me from reading this thread and getting all riled up. (can't stop people from quoting nonsense)

Gary, I don't think you have much to worry about. I think at this point, nobody is going to make you wear a harness. "free" harnesses with every stand, common sense, and peer pressure has pretty much reduced the accident rates enough to make most falls not have an significant financial impact to the rest of the country with increased health care costs and life insurance rates. The only people who will care are your loved ones and friends... oh and your brothers in the hunting community who mourn the loss of their brethren from something that was easily preventable.

We live in a country where you are pretty much free to "accidentally" kill yourself. Just don't be surprised when folks bearing common sense, who see every life as sacred, step in and try and stop you from doing so. Consider it as evidence that most of us have some sense of humanity and actually give a **** about others instead of just ourselves.

Comment

I would definitely rather be tied off. You can't teach on old dog new tricks

Comment

If it was new, there should have been litigation.
              Yes. This was around 2006 or so, maybe 2008. The tether system application was new to hunters at that time, or it was new to us.

I will have to get in touch with him and find out.

Comment

Much rather die that way and there than in hospice with some disease or dimensia. The things I wouldn't want to die of are the real things that get too many folk. Wearing a harness is good insurance. I'm just not there. And for the record I have provided for my family financially. My kids are grown. I'm a big guy now.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Good grief... unfortunately the "ignore list" didn't save me from reading this thread and getting all riled up. (can't stop people from quoting nonsense)

Gary, I don't think you have much to worry about. I think at this point, nobody is going to make you wear a harness. "free" harnesses with every stand, common sense, and peer pressure has pretty much reduced the accident rates enough to make most falls not have an significant financial impact to the rest of the country with increased health care costs and life insurance rates. The only people who will care are your loved ones and friends... oh and your brothers in the hunting community who mourn the loss of their brethren from something that was easily preventable.

We live in a country where you are pretty much free to "accidentally" kill yourself. Just don't be surprised when folks bearing common sense, who see every life as sacred, step in and try and stop you from doing so. Consider it as evidence that most of us have some sense of humanity and actually give a **** about others instead of just ourselves.
                  Very well put...but I would have put love instead of ****

Comment

I understand your point as well. But this is a public forum, not a real hunting campfire. There's a time and place for everything. The lack of, or outright defying hunters safety doesn't belong here. Sorry you can't recognize that.
                    This is one where we will just have to agree to disagree. I feel that if my post causing any young person to think for themselves, to make their own decisions, to not just follow the crowd then I have done much more good than harm. You are looking at this strictly as a harness = safety deal. I am looking at it more of a larger deal of people are free to do what they want to kind of a deal. As far as I am concerned no harm, no foul.

-john

Comment

I started this thread as more of friendly reminder. But since it has turned into a bit of a sore subject, I will share my personal thoughts on the matter.

All my life i have never wore a harness. Grew up in Louisiana swamps hunting out of home built stands nailed to trees. I was young and stupid. Granted i never had an incident, but that only fueled my arrogance.
                      Fast forward to 2011 when i moved to Texas for the second time and met my wife. We hunted out of ladder stands mostly but also climbers. Still, neither of us wore a harness. I followed the many posts on here about the accidents and how it affected you and your families.
                      We then had a little boy, Eli, fixing to be 3 in March of 2018. So I broke down and bought a brand new harness this spring along with a new lockon, climbing sticks, and safety rope. The stand and safety equipment together cost about 110 bucks on sale.

I acquired a 400 acre piece of Grimes County that has not seen a hunter in nearly 11 years. Upon finding the perfect tree to hang my new set i put my harness on and linemans belt and began the process. At 11:00 it was pushing 90 degrees with no wind and lots of skeeters. The stress on this fat boys body was immense. I got the climbing sticks positioned and started to pull up the platform. Solely relying on my linemans belt around the trunk of that east texas pine, i lost all strength and started to pass out from heat exhaustion. The stand went all the way to the ground and i hung there for i don't know how long. When i felt i had the strength to climb down, i did. Hands and knees shaking every step of the way. I wasnt even sweating anymore but my clothes were already drenched. I live next door so the drive was short. My wife was frantic, put me in the shower and i just sat there and could hardly breath much less talk.

I had been climbing trees my whole life. And this was a near disaster. Had i not been tied off, that 20 foot plummet might have been the end of me and my son would not have known much of his father.
                      As a matter of fact, that incident scared me to the point that i have yet to even hunt out of that set this season. My brother did twice and saw deer both times.

If you dont wear one, i plead with you to please do it. Not for yourself, but your family.

Comment

This is one where we will just have to agree to disagree. I feel that if my post causing any young person to think for themselves, to make their own decisions, to not just follow the crowd then I have done much more good than harm. You are looking at this strictly as a harness = safety deal. I am looking at it more of a larger deal of people are free to do what they want to kind of a deal. As far as I am concerned no harm, no foul.

-john
                        Then you should reread the title of this thread, and start a thread of your own about independent thinking. This thread is about treestand safety, SPECIFICALLY!

Comment

I'm not going to force anyone to wear a harness, but if you hunt on our property you do not leave the ground unless you have a harness on.

Comment

-john
                            If you convince some young person to waver from safety and into harms way, you have done harm.

You talk like following the crowd in doing something right is actually wrong. Usually following the crowd is wrong, but not this time.

Comment

I am sure the vast majority here would agree life is full of risks. Best to eliminate or lower the ones you can. Also if you look at the risk vs. reward of not using safety harnesses and lifelines what is the payoff for not using them? Save a few bucks on rope/equipment cost? Just my opinion, but that is foolish. Plan ahead and get the things you need to keep you safe. Nobody is going to make you, but I promise if you are not taking the proper precautions you will not be allowed to hunt on my property.

Comment

Oh, one other situation I wear one is where required by the outfitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X