No announcement yet.

Eco Boost V6 vs 5.0 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2013 4x4 ecoboost. Love the truck. It is very quiet. I get 18.1 miles/gallon (22,000 miles on the truck) and that is a mix of city driving (stop and go) and highway driving.

Comment

I have a 13 XLT 4x4 with Ecoboost and to be honest, being an ole die-hard V8 guy from childbirth, it was a lot to get me to go for this twin turbo 3.5L little V6. Having owned a ton of v8 4x4 trucks and suvs, both Chevy and Ford, I can tell you one thing. Nothing I have ever owned pulls like this right out of the box. I do hear a lot of Eco owners complain about mileage, but the main source of the problem lies within a little known fact. Ford has to have installed a newfangled 'foot magnet' under the gas pedal, cause as soon as you get on it a little, hear those turbos spool up and feel your backside pull into the seat, you just want to bury it. Some of the most fun I have had. Another plus side is max torque is found at 2500rpm, 20 less than the 6.2L factory output mind you, whereas the 5.0 is making max torque at 4500rpm. The turbos are the same technology they have been using forever and three days on the diesels, so it is tried and true. I have been averaging 15.5 to 16mpg in town, all stop and go, best highway was 20+. Pulled a few rv's, car trailer loaded with various vehicles, and each time, set the cruise and forget it is back there. Just my pennies worth, but I can not rave enough about this little v6. Way impressed. :-)

Comment

I sell Ford's in Georgetown. I sold about 50 trucks last year and it was half Eco half 5.0. I only had one truck come back with issues, the 5.0. It really comes down to what you want. 2013 was the last year they put the 6.2L in the half tons. They are shaving 700lbs of with a all aluminum Alloy body, which is more dent resistent.

Arron at Mac Haik

Comment

Originally posted by hubbace View Post
          I have a 13 XLT 4x4 with Ecoboost and to be honest, being an ole die-hard V8 guy from childbirth, it was a lot to get me to go for this twin turbo 3.5L little V6. Having owned a ton of v8 4x4 trucks and suvs, both Chevy and Ford, I can tell you one thing. Nothing I have ever owned pulls like this right out of the box. I do hear a lot of Eco owners complain about mileage, but the main source of the problem lies within a little known fact. Ford has to have installed a newfangled 'foot magnet' under the gas pedal, cause as soon as you get on it a little, hear those turbos spool up and feel your backside pull into the seat, you just want to bury it. Some of the most fun I have had. Another plus side is max torque is found at 2500rpm, 20 less than the 6.2L factory output mind you, whereas the 5.0 is making max torque at 4500rpm. The turbos are the same technology they have been using forever and three days on the diesels, so it is tried and true. I have been averaging 15.5 to 16mpg in town, all stop and go, best highway was 20+. Pulled a few rv's, car trailer loaded with various vehicles, and each time, set the cruise and forget it is back there. Just my pennies worth, but I can not rave enough about this little v6. Way impressed. :-)
          Good explanation, I still can't believe a little 3.5l v6 can do what it does. Also when you hook up to a trailer and going up hill the is not much shifting down with this little engine. It just keeps pulling, it doesn't hunt for gears.

As stated above, compare the torque curve between the Eco, 5.0 and 6.2 and look what kind of usable power between 1500 to 3000 rpm's. That lies the answer. So what if you only get 15 mpg's, show me an gas engine that has this much power and gets better mpg's

Comment

Originally posted by Extremehunter37 View Post
            I sell Ford's in Georgetown. I sold about 50 trucks last year and it was half Eco half 5.0. I only had one truck come back with issues, the 5.0. It really comes down to what you want. 2013 was the last year they put the 6.2L in the half tons. They are shaving 700lbs of with a all aluminum Alloy body, which is more dent resistent.

Arron at Mac Haik
            PM headed your way....

Comment

We have hooked them up to a dino. @1800 rpm's the turbo's start up. @2500 rpm's you are at 80% of your max torque. The V8 is much higher, as is for all V8's. Granted the V8 does sound tuff.

Comment

Love my '12 eco. Didnt buy it for the mileage although when Im on the highway running 65-70 I love the mileage. Around town it gets about 14.1-14.2. I bought the truck because it was the happy medium between a v8 and diesel. I can park the truck in my garage at home and at my office.

Im getting ready to put a gooseneck on it so I can haul a 20-24' bar top cattle trailer.

Comment

I have a 2011 5.0 4x4 102K on it with no problems to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Just get a 5.0 and put twin turbos on it.

Best of both worlds.
                    That would be one bad*** truck. I have 2013 with 33's and level not real happy with around town mpg but hwy is pretty good for what it is. Love the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by hubbace View Post
                      Just hope its not the Turbos they put on the 6.0s because I have personally helped rebuild 3 with unison ring, vane and coking problems.

Comment

I have the Eco Boost V6 in a 2012 King Ranch. I am about to hit the 60K mark on it and the computer reading shows 17.3 MPG. It has the power when I need it. I run a BaK Flip cover on the back as well.

Comment

Is the warranty on the Eco the same as the v8?

Comment

2012 ECO 4x4 with 64k on it. Mileage is around 17 depending. 3.73 rear end 11k towing capacity. It is a ton of fun to drive. Gets decent mileage and will tow quite a bit. I have driven 3/4 or 1 ton diesels since 1992. I am not disappointed with the ECO. With all of that said, it is a personal choice.

Oh yea and about the Nav system. I make money with mine and I have had no issues.

Comment

I have a 2013 Platinum 4x4 with the Ecoboost, when it was stock for about 5000 miles I averaged 15.8 in mostly in town driving and averaged 19 on a trip to Amarillo and back to Houston. Since I lifted it and put 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on it I average 14.8 with a 93 octane tune from 5 Star tuning for the last 30,000 miles. That tune is a must have for these trucks in my opinion, the thing is even more fun to drive now. I also tow 8-10K a couple times of month behind it without issue. The only thing I would've done differently is get the 3.73 gears instead of the 3.55's, I would think the 3.73 gears would get better mileage with a lift and heavier tires.

My last truck was a 2008 F150 with a supercharged 5.4 in it and this truck is more fun to drive and gets better gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                                I have a 2013 Platinum 4x4 with the Ecoboost, when it was stock for about 5000 miles I averaged 15.8 in mostly in town driving and averaged 19 on a trip to Amarillo and back to Houston. Since I lifted it and put 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on it I average 14.8 with a 93 octane tune from 5 Star tuning for the last 30,000 miles. That tune is a must have for these trucks in my opinion, the thing is even more fun to drive now. I also tow 8-10K a couple times of month behind it without issue. The only thing I would've done differently is get the 3.73 gears instead of the 3.55's, I would think the 3.73 gears would get better mileage with a lift and heavier tires.

My last truck was a 2008 F150 with a supercharged 5.4 in it and this truck is more fun to drive and gets better gas mileage.
                                Have a link to the chip?

Comment

Working...
                                X