No announcement yet.

Fall Away Arrow Rests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a CMAX rest, I think it's a G5 product, I never could get it to work correctly on a Elite Judge I think because of the short brace height.

Anyway, I'll look this afternoon and see if it will work for a lefty, if so I'll send it to you. I'm using a Limbdriver on my E35.

Comment

Wow! You guys are too kind. Being lefty is a blessing and a curse. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Only fall away rest I have experience with is the ripcord. I love it and have zero complaints about it except for the little bit of wiggle room for your arrow while in the locked position, but hunting in a stand your bow is hung or sitting in the corner before we go to shoot so there is no issue there for me to switch. For years I shot whisker biscuits and still they are my favorite all purpose rest, i just switched to a drop away after shooting longer distances they are definitely more accurate as there is no contact with the arrow during flight even though I have more Robin hoods with the biscuits than I do with the ripcord. Honestly I think when it comes to rests, they are all sufficient minus a few, it’s more just preference and intended use.

Comment

Sorry AA, the CMAX I have is a right-hand only unit.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Well, you probably already know this but...

A fall away rest just masks some of the more harsh reaction that comes with not following through when you release the string.. or torque... or any number of things that inconsistent form will bring out.

A fall away rest comes with the risk of adding yet another mechanical, moving part, that requires special timing to your setup. A point of failure as it were (rest doesn't drop, or drops at the wrong time, etc.)

Fixed rests do wear, but for the most part, they are very consistent.

So, it is a tradeoff. Forgiveness vs risk of failure. Honestly, I don't see fixed vs fall-away having much to do with "sporting level" of the setup. If you got a compound bow with mechanical release... a fall-away rest isn't going to really deflect much on the "sporting" needle. Not that anybody, but you, should give a darn about the "sportiness" of a setup.

So, if you don't like to tinker, or you don't like to visit the bow shop regularly to have somebody take a look at your rig... I'd shy away from it. If you want to buy some forgiveness at the risk of having yet another thing to think about or deal with... then get one.
            There are some tuning and mechanical considerations with a cable driven rest like the QAD. There are no tuning issues with a limb driven rest like a hamskea and the mechanical issues to be concerned about are close to nothing. The cable getting cut is about the only thing that can happen that can’t happen to a stationary rest, and you are using a bow which runs on strings and cables so a cable in the system isn’t a new risk. You can use steel cable if it bothers you.

I’ve found the limb driven rests (I prefer the hamskeas) to be bullet proof. The setup is as easy as any rest. When you draw the bow, the tension comes off of the rest cable as the limb bends and the rest rises When you release, the limb pulls the rest out of the way.

They aren’t fickle and you won’t need to be going to the bow shop repeatedly. You don’t need to tinker with them either, set them up and just get to shooting.

Some people report that they shoot higher scores when switching to a fall away rest. Many tournament archers have tried both and stayed with a blade rest. I think accuracy differences are probably different respective to the shooter. I like how they allow me to run any fletching configuration I want without worrying about rest clearance. I’ve not noticed a difference in accuracy that can be directly attributed to the rest type for me and my shooting.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              Sorry AA, the CMAX I have is a right-hand only unit.
              No worries, Brother, I appreciate the thought!

Comment

NEVER, knock on wood, and I mean NEVER had a fall away fail on me. I started with the Barner Inertia rest, first fall away on the market and have shot the Ripcord and QAD with no problems Also shot a Limbdriver with no problems and I have hunted a lot of places without any failures. Honestly, I would not use a WB unless I was paid a lot of $ to do so! Just my opinion. Sorry WB users!

Comment

I'd like to put a WB in my bag for emergencies but even the small version looks like it would be too big for the micro diameter VAP TKO's I shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    I'd like to put a WB in my bag for emergencies but even the small version looks like it would be too big for the micro diameter VAP TKO's I shoot.
                    the hole does not hurt in the least if it is larger than the arrow,,, name one arrow rest that holds the top of the shaft? no fall away contacts the top, the old plunger and spoon rests did not contact the top of the shaft, no "lizard tongue or spring steel rests does either, a larger hole than the shaft is a must,,,, not a problem,,,, gravity always pulls the arrow to the bottom anyway,,,,,, you simply need to set the rest up properly so that the arrow is not pointing down hill because of the larger hole

Comment

can't go wrong with QAD

Comment

QAD Pro.

Comment

Got my QAD back from repair. Just cost me shipping.

Comment

Never had to pay shipping on my LimbDriver, never had a reason to get it fixed.

Comment

Another vote for QAD

Comment

Ripcord failed on me last season. Tring a limbdriver pro purchased here used this year. Still tring to get all dialed in again, but the rest seems fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X