Mesquite Country Sausage Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neuse View Post
    I want to make pork, venison, cheese, jalapeno summer sausage.
    Can I use your sausage recipe for this?
    I hope that makes sense.

Yes sir. That's the Jal/cheese recipe listed.

Comment

Thank you very much for answering my question and for posting your recipe's.

Comment

Awesome recipes!

I made 30 pounds of regular, 30 pounds of jap and cheese, and 30 pounds of italian sausage. All really excellent. Thank you so much! I do have one question. Everything I've read calls for 1 ounce of cure #1 to 25 pounds, where your recipe calls for 0.60 ounces for 25 pounds, is that enough cure? Seriously though, thank you so much for the spreadsheet, best sausage I've ever ate. Beats the heck out of the processing place we use to take it to in Llano, no names of course, but it sounds like Miller.

Comment

Cure is measured off finished weight not green weight, so I compensated for shrink when you smoke it.

Comment

Awesome, the less cure, the better. Thanks again for the recipes. Since finding your spreadsheet I've gone full in. Got a grinder, sausage stuffer, and all. Hell I don't think I'll ever buy sausage again.

Comment

Awesome info. Thx a lot!

Comment

Once again, thank you so much for the spread sheet, and all of the information. I smoked my first batch in a cardboard box with a dryer vent pipe attached to my horizontal smoker. It worked, but I couldn't control temp well, and had to finish in the oven. Well, I bought a masterbuilt electronic smoker, and a cold smoking kit. I'm enjoying the hell out of sausage making and it tastes **** good, thanks to you.

Could you give me the run down on what temps, how long? Like start at 120 for 1 hour, then bump to 150, so on...

How long do you add wood and smoke, and do you use a water pan to add moisture?

Also do you smoke the salami any differently than regular sausage.

Comment

Nevermind, found the directions tab on the spreadsheet. Thanks again!

Comment

Water ??

I'm going to give at least one or two of these a try on a larger scale. I did about 10 pounds of the pan sausage a while back and it turned out great, but I kind of "eyeballed" the quantities.

Here's the question... when water is shown in the recipe is the quantity also by weight or is it volume? Is 16 ozs a pound of water or is it 2 cups?

Comment

Always by weight.

Comment

Any idea on a conversion, i.e. how much water is in a pound or how much does a cup of water weigh?

Comment

Okay. I think I've got it. A gallon of water is 8.34 lbs and 16 cups. 8.34 / 16 = .52125, so a cup of water is about a half pound. Is that right? That puts volume and mass nearly equal, so 8 oz of water weighs about 8 oz.

Comment

You nailed it. Or the old saying. A pints a pound the world around.

Comment

looks good

Comment

I have all my meat mixed the way I want it. I stuffed some regular, seasoned sausage just fine but my grinder is gunking up with the jalepeno cheese. I have hi-temp cheese. But I am stuffing it just refrigerated cold. Should I be stuffing my sausage slightly frozen?

Comment

Working...
                                X