No announcement yet.

Moving to Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a lot of good areas on the north side. All depends on what type of feel you like. Where I live is a little more city than I like but the wife loves being near the freeway. Lake Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, New Waverly. Spring would be the absolute southern border if looking north on 45.

99 has also opened up some areas that were a pain to get to in the past.

Always liked Pearland when I was on the south side but haven't been that way in years.

Comment

Buy a travel trailer/5th wheel and good truck.. travel and work out of it.

Comment

I currently live in Conroe and have to say it's grown on me. As others above mentioned it's close to everything without being too much of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I've been in tomball or magnolia (the real magnolia not Woodlands lite 2978 area) since 1988. Office downtown and work from one end of harris county to the other almost daily.

If I could move it would be Grimes or Walker county. Huntsville, navasota even toward Brenham.

Tomball magnolia area ain't what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          This, but been in Magnolia since I was born in 83. Did live in Walker county for a couple years while at Sam Houston. Houston is a cool city, any city has it's problems. A few more details:

1. My address says Magnolia, but you will see stagecoach on the map and I'm a mile from there. Gated neighborhood, I live in one of the cheaper homes honestly (also bought at the real estate bottom).Its a great hood, but its $450k plus to move in now. You will find this throughout the area unfortunately. I couldn't afford my house at today's prices, or at least wouldn't want to. Home values skyrocketed a few years ago all around here. Sounds like a great opportunity for you, that may not be an issue. Also, there's a crap travel trailer park across the street from the gate, and another up the road. Just what you deal with in the area but not everyone is ok with a high dollar house a block away from a field of junk RVs.

2. Walker county is great, in laws still live there. Its quiet, lake and river access is easy. Close to National forest. My wife didn't like it- you have to go down to the woodlands for major shopping. We also lived in Riverside so it was a drive just to hit 45. Area is growing, and Huntsville offers a lot more than when we lived there. Would be my second choice.

3. Brenham area up 290 would be my choice in the Houston area. Still quiet, not overgrown. If you are close to 290 you can be anywhere in the Houston area via 290 or 99 fairly easily. You can also head toward Austin via 290 easily which leads to comment below.

4. I would hub out of San Antonio and live around New Braunfels or Seguin, but that's just my personal preference. You asked for opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Warren View Post
            Stay out of Harris county. We live in Waller county. You will appreciate the difference in taxes.
            Waller is climbing though

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            This, but been in Magnolia since I was born in 83. Did live in Walker county for a couple years while at Sam Houston. Houston is a cool city, any city has it's problems. A few more details:

1. My address says Magnolia, but you will see stagecoach on the map and I'm a mile from there. Gated neighborhood, I live in one of the cheaper homes honestly (also bought at the real estate bottom).Its a great hood, but its $450k plus to move in now. You will find this throughout the area unfortunately. I couldn't afford my house at today's prices, or at least wouldn't want to. Home values skyrocketed a few years ago all around here. Sounds like a great opportunity for you, that may not be an issue. Also, there's a crap travel trailer park across the street from the gate, and another up the road. Just what you deal with in the area but not everyone is ok with a high dollar house a block away from a field of junk RVs.

2. Walker county is great, in laws still live there. Its quiet, lake and river access is easy. Close to National forest. My wife didn't like it- you have to go down to the woodlands for major shopping. We also lived in Riverside so it was a drive just to hit 45. Area is growing, and Huntsville offers a lot more than when we lived there. Would be my second choice.

3. Brenham area up 290 would be my choice in the Houston area. Still quiet, not overgrown. If you are close to 290 you can be anywhere in the Houston area via 290 or 99 fairly easily. You can also head toward Austin via 290 easily which leads to comment below.

4. I would hub out of San Antonio and live around New Braunfels or Seguin, but that's just my personal preference. You asked for opinions

Indigo ranch?

No one has mentioned the new sections of 290 have pretty much eliminated the old traffic. Sure there is rush hour delays but at 530am when I get on 290 you'll flat get RUNT OVER going 65. The left two lanes are humming at 85 all the way to the loop

Comment

League city

The South side has treated me well.
              It's not quite as congested as the North and West.
              As a bonus the gulf is in your backyard.
              I don't know what size home you're after.
              We are 4 blocks from Kemah, and we are needing a slightly larger home for my daughter moving down. If you do end up moving close to or on saltwater make sure your home is spray foamed, it's the best way to combat the humidity.

Sold: 4805 Loures Lane, League City, TX 77573 ∙ $370,001 - $420,000 ∙ 0.17 Acres Lot ∙ 2,420 Sqft, 3 beds, 2 full and 1 half baths, Single-Family ∙ View more.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Indigo ranch?

No one has mentioned the new sections of 290 have pretty much eliminated the old traffic. Sure there is rush hour delays but at 530am when I get on 290 you'll flat get RUNT OVER going 65. The left two lanes are humming at 85 all the way to the loop
                Yes Sir. Know you are out my way somewhere. Good point on 290, definitely isn't the headache it once was. I do the METRO park and ride for now, so I don't even notice.

Comment

The woodlands or north... Or Kerville... I live in Cypress, it's not bad, but still a to much city for me

Comment

If you want to be closer to hunting spots, north side. If you want to be closer to the gulf, south side in league city or such. If you want more city feeling, then Woodlands or the heights. The feel and lifestyle of the areas can be dramatically different just a block away or so.

Comment

This is my third time moving to and living in Houston. I have lived in the Memorial Area downtown, Katy, and now currently Conroe.

-Downtown is nice for access to entertainment and bustle of a big city, but not for me anymore, as we have (2) kids and like a little more room for the price.
                      -Katy is straight suburbia, to me there is no local 'feel' since it is all suburb development
                      -Conroe is by far the best! We are living in Carriage Hills off 1488, they have bigger wooded lots. We are actually Conroe ETJ and Woodlands School District. Best of both worlds. The access to activities for kids, dining, and space is great. Also a quick trip to downtown is easy. Development in the area is continuing to happen and will continue to get more crowded. I like it because the heavily wooded areas don't feel like we are in 'Houston' but have access when we want.

Also, I do 60% of my hunting in E TX so, it's quick trip to properties and in-laws. Plus, Sam Houston NF is a pretty fun place to go explore and hunt too (quick and easy access from Conroe)

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                        . I will be handling STX ... south of i10 basically.
                        59 S corridor, basically from I-10 to 288 look at the school districts and stay away from flood. Sugarland, Rosenburg, or Fulshear. But no Missouri City, Sharpstown, Alief, Kendelton or Beasley.

Map below may help
                        Attached Files

Comment

If you are going to be south of I-10 and traveling west then look deep SW side, Rosenberg, East Bernard, Needville etc. Avoid the big city and avoid the big suburbs...

Comment

With those parameters, I might live in Bellville/Blieberville/Cat Springs area. Only an hour from Houston, but small town life.

Good luck. Conroe area is nice but has exploded like everywhere else.

Comment

I just moved to Richmond (Sugar Land area) for a job opportunity and have liked it so far. However, I have a place in East Texas around Woodville area so the drive can be a pain at times. I'm also looking into moving up north if everything works out after my apartment lease is done. How bad is the drive heading North from Sugarland in the evenings? Is it best to maybe look at job opportunities closer up there? What are some of yall's opinions on this?

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                                59 S corridor, basically from I-10 to 288 look at the school districts and stay away from flood. Sugarland, Rosenburg, or Fulshear. But no Missouri City, Sharpstown, Alief, Kendelton or Beasley.

Map below may help
                                That’s hilariously accurate 😂

Comment

Working...
                                X