• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow
    That's a great set of sheds
    Impressive

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      WOW Was he on the hitlist and gave you the slip or were you letting him go intentionally?
      We let him go intentionally.Well known buck we've been watching a couple of years. We asked one of our elderly hunters if he wanted to chase him but he passed.At 8 next year he will attract more attention.Generally we like to save our better bucks for 8-10.

Comment

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck of a set of horns Rusty. He should be a dandy next year.

Comment

2 1/4" last night. Legume mix up looking good.
            Attached Files

Comment

rain

Glad you got the rain, it has been missing us. Plots are looking good!

Comment

Sorry I'm behind, on post #446 and trying to catch up. Which publication from QDMA did you go by when establishing your planting program? There are several in their online store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stephenska View Post
                  Sorry I'm behind, on post #446 and trying to catch up. Which publication from QDMA did you go by when establishing your planting program? There are several in their online store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Gracious! I hope its worth it to read this whole thread.

My planting program is an amalgamation of years of reading , experimenting, failures and success. Yes I do get some information from QDMA which is very valuable. But I also look at lots of other publications as diverse as 'The No-Till Farmer' to 'Acres' magazine. Plus go on line all the time exploring different options.

There is a good thread on the 'deer hunter ' website by a guy named Paul Knox called the LC thread...I think. He posted a book basically outlining cover crop cultivars and values. I use a lot of that info along with my own experimentation.

happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Comment

Wow that is a massive set of sheds!!!

Comment

It has been the best spring early summer here in La. in 3 years. We only had one brief flood that lasted less about a week and while it covered several hundred acres it was off quickly. We have had regular rains with relatively mild temps and all the plots are doing very well . For the first time in 3 years all the plots are growing instead of being flooded.Here is a 5 acre clover field with understory of Durana, red clover a bit over the knees and you can see the blue chicory blooms in the foreground. These are scattered all over the property.The peas and bean fields are doing super as well and I will post pics of them as they reach full stride.

A terrific start to the year. Cant wait to see what becomes of it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Set of sheds from the ranch. 190 3/8. I think 7 yr old.I thought him to be 178-180 in the field. His mass is over 41" and I tend to underscore heavy mass deer every time .
                        Good gosh man! Just seeing this guy and the incredible mass. Impressive what y'all have done.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          It has been the best spring early summer here in La. in 3 years. We only had one brief flood that lasted less about a week and while it covered several hundred acres it was off quickly. We have had regular rains with relatively mild temps and all the plots are doing very well . For the first time in 3 years all the plots are growing instead of being flooded.Here is a 5 acre clover field with understory of Durana, red clover a bit over the knees and you can see the blue chicory blooms in the foreground. These are scattered all over the property.The peas and bean fields are doing super as well and I will post pics of them as they reach full stride.

A terrific start to the year. Cant wait to see what becomes of it.

Beautiful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking good Rusty. You are real green in Mexico also

Comment

Looks great Rusty! Question for you. I've got some low areas in our fields that have held water through the big rains from the last 3 weeks (post planting). When you've had that, what do you do?

Most of the field is off to a great start, but a few places the seeds got drowned. Should I overseed those spots once it dries up?

Comment

Holy cow, what a thread! Elgato you have got it going on!

Comment

Working...
                                X