Rocky Mountain National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky Mountain National Park

Anyone been to the park? I'm heading there in early July with my girlfriend and a few other non camping type friends. If you've been please post pics or recommendations on things to do in the area. Lots of hiking and fishing I'm sure, so I'm open to all info. We have a house rented in Grand Lake for 4 nights.

Most trails are very nice with great views. Most trails have a pond or small stream you can fish. Fishing is good on Thompson river.
    Overall the place is crowded, even the long trails, especially the town.
    Went to the big hotel for tour(wife's choice) and I think a whiskey drink. The tour was not so exciting, but drink was good.
    We went in mid September and trailhead parking filled up quick.

Took pictures of elk at very close distances in the middle of town. The were in rut at that time.

Comment

Ah heck ya!
      If you're going in early July try to hit the Roof Top Rodeo. Best rodeo I've ever been to. There's also a haunted tour of the Stanley Hotel that's fun ( fun to watch the people ). You have shopping in town ( we've gotten to where we only spend one afternoon in town, too many people ). There's a trout farm in town where you can go catch dinner. It's always great to just a pick a restaurant and go sit by the Big Thompson and have a drink. Horseback rides are cool too. Grand Lake side you're liable to see moose as well. We love going up there. Enjoy!

Comment

Wife and I went last September. Was a good trip. Loved that time of year up there with the elk rut, yellow aspens, and less people. We booked a private cabin through VRBO just outside of town. Will try to post some pics if I remember tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We go up to Granby almost every summer and usually spend at least 1-2 days in the park and Grand Lake. Smart move staying on the west side of the park-crowds on Estes Park side are brutal. Take Trail Ridge Road up to the Alpine Visitors Center. Scenery is amazing and lots of pull offs to take in the scenery and explore. Be sure to go early because the masses from the Estes Park side will close the parking lot at the visitors center before lunch. Grand Lake Lodge is a nice place to eat lunch. Has a nice porch that overlooks the town and the Lake.

We mainly hike,eat and drink. We also go into Winter Park usually for at least one day and ride bikes and do the Alpine Slide at the base.

Do you guys have kids and if so what are their ages? I️ will See if i️ can Get some pics downloaded. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Franch View Post
            We go up to Granby almost every summer and usually spend at least 1-2 days in the park and Grand Lake. Smart move staying on the west side of the park-crowds on Estes Park side are brutal. Take Trail Ridge Road up to the Alpine Visitors Center. Scenery is amazing and lots of pull offs to take in the scenery and explore. Be sure to go early because the masses from the Estes Park side will close the parking lot at the visitors center before lunch. Grand Lake Lodge is a nice place to eat lunch. Has a nice porch that overlooks the town and the Lake.

We mainly hike,eat and drink. We also go into Winter Park usually for at least one day and ride bikes and do the Alpine Slide at the base.

Do you guys have kids and if so what are their ages? I️ will See if i️ can Get some pics downloaded. Let me know if you have specific questions.

No kids at all, everyone is 24-29.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get onX maps if you are going to be hiking. You can get it on your phone, save the maps, and know where you are, and where you are going, and how to get there. It also points out water (If you want to fish) and other useful things. It has a lay for trail difficulty as well if you are looking to get away from people.

Comment

For majority of the wild life (elk mostly) go to the estes side.

Make sure to do some of the hikes up in the tundra

Comment

Green Mountain Trail is nice. It will take you up to Big Meadows about 2mi up the trail. When we hiked it we saw several bull moose. You can keep going and there is a small creek you can fish in Big Meadows. We did not make it that far!

It is a few miles north of the SW entrance into the Park past Grand Lakes on the east side of Hwy 34. Colorado River valley will be to your left. There are signs at the trail head.

Comment

Near the top of the list of parks to visit

Comment

beautiful place, wildlife everywhere! If you have a Jeep, take it up the 4x4 trail-only through the middle of the park ... if they still allow it.

Comment

It’s been 24 years sense I was there. I’m no help.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

Working...
                          X