• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade skull cleaning / bleaching

Anyone got a proven concoction?
    Got to skulls I need to do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Simmer in water and dawn soap and pressure wash clean.
    Simmer in volume 40 liquid developer and water for 10 minutes, rinse and seal with mop and glow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
      Anyone got a proven concoction?
      Got to skulls I need to do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
      Go to White Bone Creations on YouTube. He has tons of videos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

40% peroxide , NO BLEACH!!

Comment

Works on all bone!
          Attached Files

Comment

I've done 30+ deer and have had pretty good results using this method.

1. Pick the skull clean and scramble the brain
            2. Put tape over the bases on antlers to keep them from getting bleached.
            3. Simmer head in a solution of water and dawn dish soap until meat on skull starts to turn brown. Make sure to keep antlers above the water line!
            4. Pressure wash the skull. Blast out brain cavity.
            5. Pick tissue off of the head. Pull membrane lining the skull cavity.
            6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5
            7. By now the skull should be pretty clean.
            8. Once you feel like the skull is clean, coat skull in hair bleach solution. You can use napkins soaked in the liquid peroxide, but I've been using the Salon Care 40 volume creme from Sally's. (God I can't believe I just posted that) it works well.

9. Wrap the skull in saranwrap and let set for 5-7 days.
            10. If after 7 days this skull is not as white as you like, repeat step 9.
            Last edited by saintsfan; 05-12-2018, 11:04 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

In for future reference

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan View Post
                I've done 30+ deer and have had pretty good results using this method.

1. Pick the skull clean and scramble the brain
                2. Put tape over the bases on antlers to keep them from getting bleached.
                3. Simmer head in a solution of water and dawn dish soap until meat on skull starts to turn brown. Make sure to keep antlers above the water line!
                4. Pressure wash the skull. Blast out brain cavity.
                5. Pick tissue off of the head. Pull membrane lining the skull cavity.
                6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5
                7. By now the skull should be pretty clean.
                8. Once you feel like the skull is clean, coat skull in hair bleach solution. You can use napkins soaked in the liquid peroxide, but I've been using the Salon Care 40 volume creme from Sally's. (God I can't believe I just posted that) it works well.

9. Wrap the skull in saranwrap and let set for 5-7 days.
                10. If after 7 days this skull is not as white as you like, repeat step 9.
                I used to do the same exact thing but have switched to cooking the volume 40 in.
                Get it pretty clean, doesn’t have to be perfect, the simmer in volume 40 liquid and water. Use a whole big bottle of volume 40.
                10 minutes and it’s pure white and the peroxide eats any left over tissue away. Way faster and easier. Make sure and wrap the bases up good and any touch up can be done with Wood stain.

Here’s a video on it.

Comment

Tagged, I have an old boar skull I need to clean up and get done.

Comment

Been cooking a boar skull this week, and just got back from Sally's to get a new bottle of the 40 Volumes creme.

When you boil it in the 40%, do you dilute it with water to have enough liquid to cover it completely?

Comment

Homemade skull cleaning / bleaching

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Been cooking a boar skull this week, and just got back from Sally's to get a new bottle of the 40 Volumes creme.

When you boil it in the 40%, do you dilute it with water to have enough liquid to cover it completely?

Dilute 3:1 with water, the liquid works better but the cream will work. It’ll just foam up.
                      Also get a bucks with a lid and strain the mix into the bucket after it cools and save it. You can reuse it next time!

Comment

I shot this hog 2 weeks ago and brought it to a guy by the house who charges $50 for deer and $100 for hogs. His deer looked really good so I let him do the hog. The hog still has some yellow spots that I would like to get rid of so what are my options?

My taxi in vidor wanted $300 to do the same thing and maybe it would have turned out better but I thought $300 was high for a skull mount on a hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

I shot this hog 2 weeks ago and brought it to a guy by the house who charges $50 for deer and $100 for hogs. His deer looked really good so I let him do the hog. The hog still has some yellow spots that I would like to get rid of so what are my options?

My taxi in vidor wanted $300 to do the same thing and maybe it would have turned out better but I thought $300 was high for a skull mount on a hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cook it for 15 min in 3:1 water and volume 40 then dry it in the sun.

Comment

simmer for 4 hours.
                            Clean it up nice.
                            Put on roof for 30 days lol
                            Now it should be ready.
                            If you want to further clean I use baking soda and water.

Comment

Hog skull method.

Comment

Working...
                              X