Caddo Natl. Grasslands 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caddo Natl. Grasslands 2015-2016

I plan to hunt CNG for the first time this year. When I searched the forums not a lot came up, so I thought I'd start a thread.

If anyone has been out there recently, I'd be interested in hearing what the water level is like in the creeks and lakes,and how heavily hunted it typically is there. I plan to make a trip there Saturday to put foot to ground.

Good luck and happy hunting.

This will be my first too. Maybe I'll run into you. Been really interested in finding some gobblers up there. Deer to if they are there.

Comment

they have deer and turkey both in fair numbers but the spring rains put a damper on the turkey hunting....area south of Coffee Mill Lake would be a good starting point....Lake Fannin unit in your looking to bow hunt

Comment

I'm taking the kayak out this weekend. I plan to scout Coffee Mill Lake and the creek system. Depending on how long that takes, I may walk in to a few other areas. I've been staring at topo maps and google earth for two weeks, trying to ID the areas I want to scout.

Comment

I camped at Davy Crockett fourth of July weekend. The rain kept us pretty hunkered down most of the weekend. But from what I was able to scout out, the lakes were up. Both Davy Crockett and Coffee Mill. I saw signs of active beavers, coyotes and rabbits.

Across the street from the camp area is the "primitive" wildlife area. I walked a little bit of the trails. Looks like a fire lane was cut for the power lines that were run through the area.

I walked that fire lane for about 300 yards in either direction of the main gate. Didn't see much. No tracks, no droppings, no rubs.

Not sure what that means ... maybe it just means they don't hang out by the gate lol

Comment

I had planned to scout last Saturday, but my entire family fell victim to intestinal jihad. Hoping to get out there this Saturday.

Comment

I made a trip out there today. Found some areas that should draw deer when the acorns drop. Didn't see any deer, but it was impossible to be stealthy in that brush. It's pretty thick in there. Lots of greenery. Also found a deer stand. I'll be sending photos and gps coordinates to TPWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                I made a trip out there today. Found some areas that should draw deer when the acorns drop. Didn't see any deer, but it was impossible to be stealthy in that brush. It's pretty thick in there. Lots of greenery. Also found a deer stand. I'll be sending photos and gps coordinates to TPWD.
                Send the information to the caddo office. They are run by the Feds, and TPWD can't do anything to take care of the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                  Send the information to the caddo office. They are run by the Feds, and TPWD can't do anything to take care of the stand.
                  Thanks! Will do.

Comment

Anybody camping on the grasslands for the opener? I'm thinking about staying in the maintained area north of Coffee Mill Lake. If you're around, stop in and say hi! I'll be in a red Toyota Tacoma 4 Door.

Comment

Went out and scouted north of 409 LOTS of rooting from hogs around the creek. FYI, If you go out that way some of the fences are down. Stumbled onto private prop. Found a feeder and a blind.

Comment

I'll be heading out tomorrow. I plan to camp at the site on the north side of Coffee Mill lake if there is space. Again, red 4-door Tacoma. Stop by if you pass through. I may just have a home brewed beer for you.

Comment

It was a good opening weekend. Did anyone harvest? My report is in the link below.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=553960

Comment

Hunted the unit just south of 273 Monday. Didn't venture that deep, just far enough to set up on a large pound with lots of deer/pig signs. As luck would have it I saw nothing.
                            Snuck out around midday to go scout some of the areas off 409 and to the west of coffee mill. Looks promising for future hunts.
                            Headed back out tomorrow to try another area.

Comment

How crowded does Caddo get? I just saw a post of LBJ with three guys in with 30 yards of each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X