Thankful for a second chance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankful for a second chance!

I shot this buck about two weeks ago and hit him a bit high and too far forward, basically in the shoulder blade. The arrow only penetrated a couple inches and flew right back out on his second jump.

I didn’t realize how far forward I had hit him so I was surprised there was almost no blood, maybe a couple of tablespoons over 150 yds. Just a drop here and another 50 feet later. We couldn’t find an available tracking dog and just had to hope he was still alive.

I was just sick about making a bad shot and injuring him. Thankfully he was back on camera looking healthy last weekend almost a mile south of where I shot him the first time.

The wind was all wrong Wednesday night. The forecast said it wasn’t going to get any better this trip so it seemed worth it to do my best with scent control and give it a try. I thought all hope was lost when the first critters to show up were hogs, exactly 4 min before the feeder went off. They circled the feed pen and lined up directly downwind of me but did not seem to smell me. Then they regrouped, got into some kind of skirmish and took off squealing. I thought for sure the noise and their smell would be the end of my chances.

About 5 min after the corn flew I saw tines to the north, over some brush. He came straight in, downwind and hopped right into the pen like nothing was out of place. It seemed like an eternity before I finally had him broadside without another deer in front of or behind him. This shot was PERFECT. He went about 70 yds and piled up. I’m so thankful I got a second chance take him. He’s my biggest buck so far with a bow.

You can see where I hit him the first time and the exit wound from a much better second shot. He was quartered towards me just a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, nice buck

Comment

Heck of a buck. Congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations on making the most of your 2nd chance. I think that first shot should have got the job done. Deer are tough animals. Cool pic of him with blood on his leg on the trail cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He's a dandy. Congrats!

What are the odds you took a picture of the shoulder blade while skinning him? That would be pretty neat to see.

Comment

Way to go. Glad you were able to make the most of your second chance. Beautiful, mature buck. Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Dang nice buck! congrats to ya and glad it worked out in your favor. it didint look like misplaced shot made him miss any meals!

Comment

What a great buck!
                  Congratulations!

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Story with a happy ending!
                          Great buck. Big congrats!

Comment

That first shot looked pretty good. Was the first shot a broadside shot? If anything it was just an inch or so high.

Comment

Heck yeah! Waydago

Comment

Working...
                              X