Dispatching of a deer with a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispatching of a deer with a knife

*disclaimer* First and foremost. I'm in no way trying to call anyone out with this thread. I merely have a question on the legality of a situation.

With that out of the way. Here is my question. Ive seen a couple of posts here and on other sites as well as having friends tell me that after they had shot a deer with a bow. That they would then dispatch of said deer with their knife. Now I am not someone who wants to watch and animal suffer. But is this a legal way to kill a deer? I thought I had been told in the past that even if you saw a deer hit by a car and it was still alive. If you killed it with a knife that you could be cited for an unlawful method of dispatching a deer. So what say the law gurus? Is it legal?

I'm assuming your talking as in a spine hit or some other less than perfect hit that would render the deer imoble??

Comment

I just Judi Chop them once to the neck and its all over

Im not sure on the legality of my method either?

Comment

I have done many over the years it is alot safer to dispatch another arrow or bullet. I spined a nice mule deer one year and about bit off more than I could chew with a knife.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
          I'm assuming your talking as in a spine hit or some other less than perfect hit that would render the deer imoble??
          Yes

Comment

Originally posted by WildMatt84 View Post
            I thought I had been told in the past that even if you saw a deer hit by a car and it was still alive. If you killed it with a knife that you could be cited for an unlawful method of dispatching a deer. So what say the law gurus? Is it legal?

I was under the impression this is the case because of it being hit by a car on the side of the road. I don't believe you are allowed to touch a deer on the side of the road without game warden permission.

Comment

..and how do I make my knife a spear ??

Comment

I would hope that a GW would not issue a citation for a hunter that is attempting to stop the animal from suffering. Fine or no fine I would probably use a knife to insure that the animal is not suffering. I could see the GW fine a hunter that might finish a deer with a firearm do to the fact of the possibility that it was killed with a bullet then finished with an arrow after the fact.
                Last edited by joebriles; 11-06-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

"I didn't know it wasn't dead officer, I was just starting to field dress."

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post

No niji stars?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post

Just make sure don't Judi Chop and Kung Fu kick at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There was a record buck caught in a fence couple years back, man walks up and kills him with a knife. That was deemed illegal and the monster deer was confiscated, and it's rack is on display in Rick Perry's office. Illegal because it was the only method used, and knife hunting for deer is not legal.

A deer struck and wounded by a car, can be dispatched (killed) with a knife but too must be left behind or taken by the state, because that too is not a legal method of hunting. Thats why sawing antlers off road kill is illegal.

A deer wounded in the commission of lawful, archery, rifle... hunting can also be dispatched (killed) with a knife, but only because lawful means (bow, rifle) were used to wound the animal in the first place.

Hope that cleared it up.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletpusher View Post
                          There was a record buck caught in a fence couple years back, man walks up and kills him with a knife. That was deemed illegal and the monster deer was confiscated, and it's rack is on display in Rick Perry's office. Illegal because it was the only method used, and knife hunting for deer is not legal.

A deer struck and wounded by a car, can be dispatched (killed) with a knife but too must be left behind or taken by the state, because that too is not a legal method of hunting. Thats why sawing antlers off road kill is illegal.

A deer wounded in the commission of lawful, archery, rifle... hunting can also be dispatched (killed) with a knife, but only because lawful means (bow, rifle) were used to wound the animal in the first place.

Hope that cleared it up.

Very much so. Thank you

Comment

Hope that cleared it up.
                            Are you a TPWD GW or just taking a stab at this (pun intended.....)

ac

Comment

Hope that cleared it up.
                              Same thing I've always heard.

The knife isn't what's really into question, it's the hunting method itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X