Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, thanks for adding and sharing

Comment

curing hog hams is the way to go. im doing a couple different kinds for thqanksgiving this year.

Comment

Sounds great gonna try it

Comment

Been wanting to cure our own hams for a little while thanks for sharing! Look forward to giving this a try!

Comment

Thanks looks great- Thanks!

Comment

txhunter33, do you think this would work in a ice chest( 5 day cold) just add a little ice as needed?

Comment

Originally posted by wld View Post
                txhunter33, do you think this would work in a ice chest( 5 day cold) just add a little ice as needed?

thats how i do mine. i used his portions as stated above and put them in a cooler and left them in my truck. so the hams rode around in my igloo cooler sloshing around with ice for about 6 days. came out great.

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

I will definitely try smoking some hams.

Do you think that adding some brown sugar glaze to it when it is almost done would effect the curing process?

Comment

WOW, thanks for the information. I will have to try this, my wife hates wild boar. If I can get her to eat it it would be great. I tell her all the time, YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY ENOUGH!

Comment

Driller I would add the glaze when it is smoking, but wait until the outside of the ham is cooked to avoid contamination of the glaze.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore2006 View Post
                          thats how i do mine. i used his portions as stated above and put them in a cooler and left them in my truck. so the hams rode around in my igloo cooler sloshing around with ice for about 6 days. came out great.
                          Thanks jmoore. I do my hogs and deer the same way,5 or 6 days in a ice chest with plenty of ice then take them to the proceser. was thinking I could do the same with the cure.

Comment

Alright I will try it thanks.

Comment

When you add more ice do you add more salt, sugar and such... or just keep adding ice diluting the mixture?

Comment

After reading up on dry and wet cures I gave it a go too. I shot a decent sized sow and kept the hind quarters and backstraps for curing. I used pickling salt, pink cure and brown sugar to make my brine. I put the hams and backstraps in a clean and sanitized 5 gallon bucket and poured the liquid cure over them until totally submerged. That went into my beer fridge with the lid on the bucket for 21 days. I kept a close eye on it for any foam, bubbles or scum on top of the brine. Never had any. After 21 days I rinsed the meat off with cold water and let stand in cold fresh water for an hour or so, drained and repeated. Then I let them rest for another day to equalize. Put that on the pit and smoked with oak and mesquite at 125 degrees for 5 hours. Then I popped it in the oven in foil pans, covered, until done. Let them rest and sliced after they cooled.

It came out very good overall. I did not inject any cure and that is the one thing I will do differently next time. Injecting the hams would have probably got me a more even cure. After cooking the hams were pink all the way through but there were some layers that were pinker than others. They were very moist.

The backstraps were the best part. They came out much like canadian bacon. Very ham-y and smokey. I will do more of those. You can cure a couple of pig backstraps in a tupperware container. It wouldn't take much cure or much room.

For my cure I used 3 gallons of water, 1# of pickling salt, 2 ozs of cure and 3/4# of brown sugar. Now don't take this as a hard and fast recipe. If you do a search on curing hams you can find as many different recipes for wet cures as there are people curing them. The quantities ranged widely for each ingredient. I am not saying the recipe I used is the best. This was my first try at it.

What I will say about my cure is that (other than no one got sick eating them) the hams were 100% cured ham. They turned pink and tasted like ham. They were salty with a little sweet. The cure worked. Now, the hams were about 3 different shades of pink which means the cure didn't penetrate evenly all the way through. I think injecting cure into the meat would have evened that out a bunch.

Next time I will inject and I will go easier on the smoke. I got them way too smokey. I think a very light amount of smoke would have been better. I'll either try some different wood or shorten the amount of time or both. It was a bit too much smoke and it took away from the ham taste some.

This was a fun experiment and it turned out really good. If you have not done this before read up on it and give it a go. It really isn't difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                X