Crawfish Etoufee'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawfish Etoufee'

Yesterday, I was going through the Recipe Thread for an idea to feed at the office. After seeing Hillary, RaginCagin, and of course Cajun Blake's recipes for etouffee, I almost had my mind made up. At that moment our admin came in with a King Cake from Haydel's in New Orleans. (My Momma sends me one every year. She's one of those north Louisiana Mommas who takes pride in the culture throughout the state...and knows how to cook. Our baby girl is a scheduled C-section on March 4, so Momma sent them early this year)

Today it's King Cake for breakfast...

Click image for larger version

Name:	King Cake.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	25007264

and Etouffee for lunch.

I'm making a triple recipe, but the amounts listed below are for a single.

The Shivor Family Etouffee

1 lb. crawfish tails w/fat
    1 stick butter
    1 c. chopped onion & bell pepper
    3 T. flour
    1 can chicken broth
    1 pod garlic, chopped fine
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 can cream of celery soup
    2 tsp. paprika
    1/4 c. chopped green onion
    1/4 c. chopped parsley
    2 T. tomato paste
    salt, pepper, cayenne, Tony Chachere's (Cajun Blake's if you have it) to taste

Name:	1. Ingredients.JPG
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	25007249

1. Melt butter in heavy saucepan.

Name:	2. Butter.JPG
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	25007250

2. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until tender.

Name:	3. Vegetables.JPG
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	25007251

3. Add flour and tomato paste, stirring constantly until well mixed (do not brown).

Name:	4. Roux 1.JPG
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	25007252

4. The tomato paste is going to give you the "red" roux rather than brown or blond.

Name:	5. Roux 2.JPG
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	25007253

5. Add soup, broth, rotel tomato, and garlic and stir to blend.

Name:	6. Soups & Garlic.JPG
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	25007254

6. Add spices and stir.

Name:	7. Spices.JPG
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	25007255

7. Let this simmer for about 10-15min while you get the parsley and green onion chopped for later.

Name:	8. Simmer.JPG
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	25007256

8. Add the crawfish, and let simmer.

Name:	9. Crawfish.JPG
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	25007257

9. Start the water for your rice. I boil my rice just like pasta. Use an excessive amount of water and let it rolling boil until it is done, but you do it however you like. I add a cap full of vinegar to make the rice really white.

Name:	10. Vinegar.JPG
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	25007258

10. While the rice is cooking, put the parsley and green onion in the etouffee. I like using these as another ingredient rather than a garnish, so I put them in and let them simmer with everything else.

Name:	12. Green Onions & Parsley.JPG
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	25007260

Once the rice is cooked to your liking your almost ready. If you use the boil/vinegar method I used, you need to rinse the rice really well. I use hot water, so the rice doesn't get cold.

Name:	11. Rice.JPG
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	25007259

While your rice was cooking your etouffee was getting happy

Name:	13. Final Product.JPG
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	25007261

I believe you know how to do this part

Name:	14. Served.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	25007262

I hope some of you use and enjoy this. I'm also open to any critiques.

Looks delicious..............Try a little cream cheese in it and if you like it that way, add an 8 oz block to your recipe next time. Another spice that I add to any dish that I prepare with any seafoods that we boil, is 4-5 drops of liquid crab boil or just enough to give it that boiled flavor.

If you boil your rice because you can't get it to come out right when you steam it, put rice in a med sauce pan and fill water to 3/4-1" over the rice, doesn't matter how much rice you use, it comes out every time. Place on med high burner until it comes to a boil, stir and lower hear to a simmer and cover, rice is done in about 25 min. Works best in a thick aluminum pot, they distribute the heat more evenly.
    Last edited by firecapt186; 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I'm going to have to try the cream cheese and crab boil. My Step-Dad fried a turkey at Christmas using a little liquid crab boil with the injection and I loved it.

Comment

That looks great. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Man that looks great!

Comment

Not a critique but just curiosity, why make the rise "really white"?

It seems like a lot of work to add vinegar to make white rice really white but have to rinse it really well to get off the vinegar but then toss it all into a dish where the rice will mix and take on the color or be covered by the entree whether it is etouffee, gumbo, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              Not a critique but just curiosity, why make the rise "really white"?

It seems like a lot of work to add vinegar to make white rice really white but have to rinse it really well to get off the vinegar but then toss it all into a dish where the rice will mix and take on the color or be covered by the entree whether it is etouffee, gumbo, etc.
              Good question. I've never really thought about it, but that's what my Mom always does. I guess to me its like making your bed. What's the point, really?

Comment

Haydels, arguably one of the best king cakes out of NOLA or anywhere for that matter

I use parboiled rice ..... 1 1/4 cup water , 1 T butter, 1 tsp of liquid crab boil ... bring to boil then add 1 cup rice , stir and let water begin to boil, cover with lid and place burner on low or 2 ..... done in 20 minutes

your groceries look food

Comment

lotta good info here never heard of vinegar to make rice white

Comment

Originally posted by firecapt186 View Post
                    Looks delicious..............Try a little cream cheese in it and if you like it that way, add an 8 oz block to your recipe next time. Another spice that I add to any dish that I prepare with any seafoods that we boil, is 4-5 drops of liquid crab boil or just enough to give it that boiled flavor.

If you boil your rice because you can't get it to come out right when you steam it, put rice in a med sauce pan and fill water to 3/4-1" over the rice, doesn't matter how much rice you use, it comes out every time. Place on med high burner until it comes to a boil, stir and lower hear to a simmer and cover, rice is done in about 25 min. Works best in a thick aluminum pot, they distribute the heat more evenly.
                    thanks didn't eat much rice growing up / never been able to steam it

Comment

Does the T in the recipe stand for tablespoon?

Comment

Looks gooood!

Comment

That looks awesome, I could probably eat a gallon of it now.

Comment

Great job and thanks for sharing. I love that stuff.

Comment

Ron, you make this and I will supply the beverages and some sides....

Comment

Working...
                              X