Mr. or Ms. Screech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. or Ms. Screech

Been trying to get a decent pic of our owl(s), just can't get it done with a phone. This is in our front yard in a homemade house. We've had the screech owls for a few weeks in the fall in past years, first year for a spring-time owl.

If they were in that oak tree, you'd never see it.
    Attached Files

Is that an owl box or a bluebird house? Looks like the hole has been knawed on by a squirrel

Comment

Made special for an owl. I've had to clean out squirrel nests in the past. The owl will run them out, or have supper.

I do need to rebuild it better. I put it up on a whim thinking that we would never have an owl nesting.

Comment

I wonder if owls will kill squirrels? I may need to build an owl box for the back yard.

Comment

Neat pic! Thanks for sharing!

Yes owls will kill squirrels. Saw an owl snatch one off the side of a tree late one evening.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            Neat pic! Thanks for sharing!

Yes owls will kill squirrels. Saw an owl snatch one off the side of a tree late one evening.
            Good to know. Might take the squirrel battle to a more natural level.

Nice pic too...

Comment

That's cool! I would love to have Screech Owls, but I think we have too many Barred Owls for their liking.

Comment

I might need to try that in my backyard. What are the specs?

Comment

Best to follow something like this- http://www.tcwild.org/new%20document...OwlNestBox.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Best to follow something like this- http://www.tcwild.org/new%20document...OwlNestBox.pdf
                    Can't get the link on my phone for some reason. Don't recall what area of town you live in, but I hear owls all of the time where I am. I think I'll build one of these. How high is it from the ground?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Update- One of the adult owls has been spending a lot of time sitting in the entrance hole, we found out why. There are at least two young owls in the box, not sure how far they are from flight. They look furry and they can both peek out of the hole at the same time.

Our box is @12' up, facing east so it doesn't get a lot of sun.

Try this link- http://wildlifecenter.org/sites/defa...ox%20Plans.pdf

Comment

That's cool!

Comment

I put one up 5 years ago. The first year it sat vacant. The next spring a screech owl nested in it. Now the nesting pair returns every February-June. They raise 2-3 owls and leave the box by June. They remain in the backyard all summer. Pretty cool listening to them call in the summer evenings.

I always clean out the box at the beginning of February and fill with 5" of cedar shavings ( from pet store). They should return every year.
                          Attached Files

Comment

We've had a screech owl box at each of our homes. We've had a nesting pair in each, but not year in and year out. Here are some pics from our family a couple years ago. We really enjoyed watching them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	24493980

Name:	IMG_0037_800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	24493981

Name:	IMG_0046_800.jpg
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	24493982

Name:	IMG_0054_800.jpg
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	24493983

Name:	IMG_0056_800.jpg
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	24493984

Comment

Very nice pics Casey.

DeerGeek, that is a nice box with the side opening. After the owls leave I'm going to replace my box with one similar to yours. Mine is a top hinge and very difficult to clean out.

Comment

Working...
                              X