No announcement yet.

Finding God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

praying for you man, thank you for stepping out on the skinny branch. God is already working through you.

Comment

More prayers for Hugh...hope you are finding some peace and answers in a tough time

Comment

Just read thru this thread again, and wanted to say something else that I think so many of us men have questions about, and that is prayer. I can only speak for myself, but I used to struggle with how to pray. I thought it had to be eloquent, articulate, whatever description you want to use, before it was "worthy" of God. But I had an old preacher man change my mind on that. He told me "talk to God just like you would talk to anyone else. Don't change a single thing about it, be as blunt as you need to be to get your feelings out to Him. He knows you better than you know yourself". Ya know, it became easier to talk with every "conversation" that we had. What started as a rant/vent session, slowly changed into a conversation where I would talk to God just the same as I talk to anyone else.

Maybe this doesn't make sense, but I hope it does. Praying for peace and strength for you and your wife

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
          Just read thru this thread again, and wanted to say something else that I think so many of us men have questions about, and that is prayer. I can only speak for myself, but I used to struggle with how to pray. I thought it had to be eloquent, articulate, whatever description you want to use, before it was "worthy" of God. But I had an old preacher man change my mind on that. He told me "talk to God just like you would talk to anyone else. Don't change a single thing about it, be as blunt as you need to be to get your feelings out to Him. He knows you better than you know yourself". Ya know, it became easier to talk with every "conversation" that we had. What started as a rant/vent session, slowly changed into a conversation where I would talk to God just the same as I talk to anyone else.

Maybe this doesn't make sense, but I hope it does. Praying for peace and strength for you and your wife
          We did a bible study in our arena group at my cowboy church. It was called the circle maker. A book and video to accompany it. Check it out. It's cheap. It changed the way we all pray and made things easier in that aspect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
            No I didn't disappear and I have read everything posted. I have gone to a church last Sunday for the first time in over 10 years. I am seeking out counciling through a Christian based agency. And I prayed for guidance for the first time in I don't know how long.

Sounds like you are on the right track. God bless you.

Comment

Checking in on you

Just letting you know people are still thinking about and praying for you. Hope your listening to God's guidance. Ephesians 5:25 reads Husbands, love your wives as Christ himself loves the Church.
              I'm on my second marriage and was divorced after 16 years of marriage because I wasn't living a Christ centered life. The good news is, even if your marriage is to late to save, Our God is full of Grace and will give you a another chance. I rededicated my life to God after my divorce and once God saw this, he brought me an Angel, and I married her.
              Last edited by Rack Ranch; 07-24-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

The Anchor Holds / Ray Boltz

Note: Not accepting any comments concerning Ray Boltz's life style. This video was posted long before that revelation was made known in Sept 2008. Please jus...

I have journeyed through the long dark night
                Out on the open sea, by faith alone
                Sight unknown; and yet His eyes were watching me
                The anchor holds
                Though the ship is battered
                The anchor holds
                Though the sails are torn
                I have fallen on my knees as I face the raging seas
                The anchor holds in spite of the storm
                I've had visions, I've had dreams
                I've even held them in my hand
                But I never knew they would slip right through
                Like they were only grains of sand
                The anchor holds
                Though the ship is battered
                The anchor holds
                I have been young but I'm older now
                And there has been beauty these eyes have seen
                But it was in the night, through the storms of my life
                Oh, that's where God proved His love for me
                The anchor holds
                Though the ship's been battered
                The anchor holds

Comment

IMO You need to get yourself in a Bible believing church and surround yourself with a loving church family . Then just expect a change to come because it will ...

Comment

I certainly am not anyone you want to model you life after but me and my wife went through a rough patch mainly because of me harboring discontent about some things. Every single time I would start to have a negative feeling about her I would ask god to please take that feeling away and replace it with love and understanding.

I still do it but theres not nearly as many negative thoughts anymore, so in turn I am a happier person overall, she feeds off that positive energy and we both lift each other up because of it. Praying does not have to be head bowed everyone in silence. Talk to god like hes right there beside you, because he is. In the truck, on the couch, in your deer blind. Everywhere.

Comment

You don't have to find God he is already with you, hard part is learning to listen to God. Start reading a daily devotional, maybe find a weekly bible study. You said you felt peace with your friend then these things can help too. Find a Church, it is great to have Church family that you can lean on and find comfort in. She will see the change in you because you will change and become a better man. Prayers up my friend.

Comment

Praying for you Hugh!

Comment

I'm not sure I am qualified to give advice yet, but I can tell you how I found God. I remember like it was yesterday and was as real as my hand in front of me.

I was in a big time slump, or at least I thought I was between high school and college. I had family troubles that pushed me out of the house (voluntarily) and I ran around lost ,confused and alone for a few years. I contemplated just ending it all. Ended up in the back pasture of the ranch (my favorite place) in the back of my pickup truck, staring up at the stars when it happened. It felt like someone had just...wrapped me up in some sort of good-feely, warm blanket sorta thing and I felt like, someone was telling me 'its ok, you are loved".

I don't know how to explain it, but those feelings of Safety-off and depression all just went away and I felt so at ease that I busted out in tears of thankfulness. It was my rock bottom and He picked me up. Everything that I was going through just seemed so minuscule, so juvenile, so selfish and I gained clarity in what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be. I realized that I couldn't control others, but I could control myself and my actions. I poured out he whiskey, put away my stuff and went back to camp in happy tears.

I'll never forget the feeling the next morning when I woke up, it was like I was re-born and was able to separate emotions from my decisions, big picture thinking. I went to school and shortly after, I met my now-wife who was brought up in the church. I still believe God sent me my own personal angel to keep me in line.

I chat with the big-guy everyday, all day, and even though life throws some real fun trouble my way, we just brush it off and move forward. When in doubt, just give it ALL to Him to make the call. Jesus, take the wheel kind of stuff.

That's my story, and I don't care what anyone says. God is real!!
                          Last edited by Chuy; 07-24-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Prayers up for you today

Comment

Re:

"how do you find God?"
                              All you have to do is ask for forgiveness of your sins and ask God to be the lord of your life.

How did you keep the faith so to speak?
                              Find a church that teaches straight from the Bible and start attending. A great website to read more is gotquestions.org

Try to make amends with your wife, but your relationship is more important with God then anyone. I know that's tough to hear, but if you work on your relationship with God, all of your other relationships will be better. If she sees you working on your walk with Christ, she might just see you're a changed man.

I'm praying for you!

Comment

Hugh,
                                You are a blessed man to have as many people praying for you as are evidenced by the responses in this thread.
                                Similarly, you are blessed to have such godly advice being offered.
                                However, while many great suggestions are offered about Christian marriage counseling, books, Bible studies, Bible believing churches, etc., I don't perceive from your comments that you have yet reached the point of placing your full faith in Christ.
                                I would think that much of that other stuff may be premature if you haven't yielded the throne of your life to the True King.
                                Much of 'religion' is based on behavior modification, rather than life transformation. And behavior modification is shallow, temporary, and subject to change.
                                However, the life transformation Jesus offers is eternal and enables you to become a new man (even though, like me, you will tend to drag the old you around on a regular basis).
                                Seek out the man you dealt with (or a pastor) to help you walk the path towards Christ.

Comment

Working...
                                X