Mason Mountain WMA North Pasture Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason Mountain WMA North Pasture Question

I got drawn for Mason Mountain WMA North Pasture For Simitar Oryex this October. Anybody have any advice on hunting there? I have made reservation to stay at the WMA.

Isn't it a guided trip?

Would imagine they have guidelines to follow.

Have fun and would love to have the opportunity at a oryx one day

Comment

I will have to look closer at the type of hunt it is. I thought it was a hunt by assigned compartment. Looking to see if any TBHer have any information on choosing a compartment. The past two years I have been fortunate. Last year we got drawn for a doe and spike hunt. I got very lucky on the last morning and killed a great bonus Aoudad ram. I will pick him up from the taxidermist tomorrow. Hoping I can cross an Oryex off my bucket list. Thank for the well wishes. And good hunting.

Comment

I think these hunts are not guided. The 10.00 draw hunts are the guided hunts. The staff there will give you advice on where and what to look for. I got drawn for a archery deer hunt there a few years ago and all the different animals I saw made it worth the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Encore View Post
          I think these hunts are not guided. The 10.00 draw hunts are the guided hunts. The staff there will give you advice on where and what to look for. I got drawn for a archery deer hunt there a few years ago and all the different animals I saw made it worth the trip.
          Ah. I thought it was one of the 10$ hunts.

Comment

Thanks for the help on clarity Encore.
            It was one of the $3 hunts and it is for an animal with 30" or shorter horns. The other option is if one horn is deformed or broken. It should be a good hunt. I think there were only eight permits available and our application had four names on it. They say baiting is allowed. I need to call the WMA to ask if Alffa hay is allowed. Anybody use anything else?

Comment

Thanks for the help on clarity Encore.
              It was one of the $3 hunts and it is for an animal with 30" or shorter horns. The other option is if one horn is deformed or broken. It should be a good hunt. I think there were only eight permits available and our application had four names on it. They say baiting is allowed. I need to call the WMA to ask if Alffa hay is allowed. Anybody use anything else?
              Last edited by T-roy66; 08-18-2017, 06:20 AM. Reason: Posted it twice. Trying to delete second post

Comment

Originally posted by Encore View Post
                I was down there on a Javi hunt in February and I agree with you. I saw Gemsbock and a lot of Sable (but no Javelina). The last day I was there, I drove up the mountain in the north pasture. Saw a Schimitar Horned Oryx on the mountain on the east side. Seeing all those different animals made it worth me for the trip.

Comment

You are going to have a great time on the WMA, and seeing all of the varied African species is a bonus. Make sure you have a good camera along. Mark Mitchell is the WMA Manager and is a wonderful guy to talk to. I lucked out last year and drew the 3-day guided hunt in January. I didn't see a lot of javelina or deer, but there were tons of Scimitar and Gemsbok. I did see several that would be legal on your permit, and a yearling 30" Oryx would be the best eating meat you ever tasted!!! The offices, facilities, and bunk rooms are plush. There is a nice skinning area and they had a walk-in cooler.

We were able to look over a lot of animals the first two days and I got a nice 40" bull the last morning.

Send me a note if you have any specific questions.

Comment

Congrats, should be an awesome hunt. I killed one on NM back in '08, some of the best meat I have ever had too.

Comment

Was drawn for archery deer there last year, october. Was assigend the north turkey pasture. Ofcourse, we watched the scimitar oryx eat our bait for 4 days. They seem to be plentiful there. My wife and I walked away with 1 doe. But was the best hunt i've had in years. Mark, Jeff, and Spencer were super great guys, and the facility was awesome.

Comment

Troy, PM returned. Think I got it sent correctly.

Comment

Blank
                          I got your PM thanks for your help. I will share pictures after the hunt.

Comment

We had a hard time finding animals that fit the criteria. Everything we saw was of trophy caliber until the second to last day. There were three of us and all of us killed an animal. It's a great hunt. Pm me if you have any questions.

Comment

I'm getting excited. Oryx hunt is a couple of weeks away. I'm getting so pumped.

Comment

Working...
                              X