Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
    Saw one other nilgia right before the one I missed. Hoping it circles back. I’m back against some real thick brush with tall grass and that bull almost come out on top of me. Probably walked 5-10 yards right behind me. Was hopeing the would walk along it on the trails. I wouldn’t think a animal that big could fit through some of it. Lol
    What section are you are we are off 10 and we saw some bulls too

Comment

Hunting off of 30

Comment

Well I suck. Just missed a big bull. Busted me drawing but stopped about 50 yrds. I had to lean way out and shot right under him.
        Dang. Keep at it brother

Comment

Well I suck. Just missed a big bull. Busted me drawing but stopped about 50 yrds. I had to lean way out and shot right under him.
          Don't feel bad. I hunted out there four days and all four days the animals made me before I could even draw. At least you got a shot at one. He will be back next year. Keep slinging them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Found this yesterday on the narrow side of cr 10
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the updates! Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

Yanta61, I saw a bunch of tracks on the 30 road south end while scouting. Keep up the posts.

Comment

Talked to some guys yesterday. He said he stuck a bull at 10 yards but couldn’t find it. He said they saw a bull walking the road the first day and just went in a set up. Finally saw a group of pigs. There was a solid white one that I wanted but could never get a shot on it.

Comment

This is some tough hunting but I love it. Ive seen a ton of javelinas and hogs. I’ve also heard, but haven’t seen any turkeys. I’ve had some massive bucks within 40 yards but it’s just too thick to get a clear shot. I’ve also seen a ton of Nilgai but again, they stay just far enough in the brush to where I can’t get a shot. I’m set up just off of an interior road and right at 7am I had 6 Nilgai come crashing through the brush at 40 yards but they never came out onto the road. I’m staying hopeful that I can get something down today. Good luck to everyone else that is out here this morning!

Comment

Can you take off your hunter orange while sitting? Was reading that nilgai can see yellow, orange and red. Thinking this is how they busted me so fast.

Comment

Can you take off your hunter orange while sitting? Was reading that nilgai can see yellow, orange and red. Thinking this is how they busted me so fast.

I was wearing all my orange when I shot mine, 50 yards and didn’t know what I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I take mine off when I get to the spot that I’m hunting.

Comment

I am pretty sure you can take orange off if you are stationary

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
                              I take mine off when I get to the spot that I’m hunting.
                              This

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
                                This is some tough hunting but I love it. Ive seen a ton of javelinas and hogs. I’ve also heard, but haven’t seen any turkeys. I’ve had some massive bucks within 40 yards but it’s just too thick to get a clear shot. I’ve also seen a ton of Nilgai but again, they stay just far enough in the brush to where I can’t get a shot. I’m set up just off of an interior road and right at 7am I had 6 Nilgai come crashing through the brush at 40 yards but they never came out onto the road. I’m staying hopeful that I can get something down today. Good luck to everyone else that is out here this morning!
                                Get in the brush with them! First time i hunted there i also had a similiar setup. For the most part they wont travel in the open. Once i got in the thick stuff with them, i saw more and got more shot opportunities. Find trails in the thick areas and sit just off those trails. We never saw any animals on the road and weve hunted there 4 times now. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X