2017 Houston Astros season thread, "Earn it"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
    Actually, our offer if you take in to account the NY State income tax, was pretty similar. And Beltran strung Houston along as their big offseason acquisition so that we missed out on other quality free agents because he wouldn't commit. He played the middle man so bad that we missed out on any other off season acquisitions. McLane was committed to getting him and winning a World Series. If Beltran would have signed, we would have gotten other players here as well.

He listened to Scott Boras too much. How did his years in NY work out?

Also, he left after the 2004 season. He wanted a ring, well guess what, who was in the World Series in 2005??? Could we have won in 2005 with him? We would have had a lot better chance.

Astros offered 7 years and $105mm. He signed for $119mm. Says the sticking point was a no trade clause. Whatever. He leveraged the Astros for as much as he could, then left. And still hasn't won a ring. He got greedy
    The no trade clause is a big deal to the players. It gives them total control of their destiny. Uncle Drayton wouldnt relent and lost out on a great player. I think the 14MM was more important to him than winning a WS. The Astros got played because they let themselves get played. No one to blame but themselves.

You do know that Boras is Altuve's agent right? How do you think that is going to end for the Astros?

Comment

The official website of the Houston Astros with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

Prospect Martes could make Majors push
      Prospect Martes could make Majors push
      Top Prospects: Martes, HOU 0:32
      2017 MLB.com Top Prospects: Francis Martes can work at 93-96 mph and reach 98 with his fastball
      By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com | @brianmctaggart | February 7th, 2017 + 6 COMMENTS
      With Spring Training fast approaching, MLB.com will take a look at a different aspect of this year's Astros squad each day this week. Today's topic: Who might surprise?

HOUSTON -- Barring injuries, the Astros' 25-man roster will be tough to crack leaving Spring Training. The lineup is deep, and some of their key contributors figure to be reserve players like Evan Gattis, Jake Marisnick and Marwin Gonzalez.
      The bullpen returns intact from last year, and the starting rotation enters camp with six starting pitchers -- Dallas Keuchel, Collin McHugh, Lance McCullers, Mike Fiers, Charlie Morton and Joe Musgrove -- and five slots. So who is best-positioned to surprise this spring?
      • Who might surprise for each club in 2017?
      It's a stretch to see hard-throwing Francis Martes making the club out of camp, but a solid showing in front of the Major League staff could position him to make his big league debut at some point this season -- at 21 years old.
      • Spring Training: Info | Tickets | Schedule | Gear
      Martes, the Astros' No. 1 prospect and No. 20 overall by MLBPipeline.com, spent all of 2016 in the rotation at Double-A Corpus Christi. He struck out 131 and walked 47 batters in 125 1/3 innings, going 9-6 with a 3.30 ERA as the youngest pitcher (20 years old) in the Texas League.
      "I think he's intriguing because of how well he's performed as he's raced through the Minor Leagues," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. "He's young for the levels he's played at, he's been intriguing with his skillsets and had a nice showing in the [Arizona] Fall League.
      • Astros Top 30 prospects
      "He's answered every challenge at a young age. Never say never. When you have the luxury to be able to develop him at the pace he's helping dictate, he's a guy I'll have my eyes on up close and personal... [to] see how he responds being in his first big league camp and around older players."
      Martes was throwing in the upper 80s when he was signed by the Marlins out of the Dominican Republic in 2012, and the Astros plucked him away from Miami midway through the '14 season in the trade that sent Jarred Cosart to the Marlins. He now sits in the mid-90s and touches 98, with a good curveball.
      Barring injuries, Martes is likely to begin the season at Triple-A Fresno, putting him in position to make his debut this year. The Astros haven't been shy about pushing top prospects in the past couple of years, with McCullers and Michael Feliz making their debuts in 2015 despite not throwing a pitch a Triple-A. Prospect David Paulino made his debut in '16 after only three games at Triple-A, and Chris Devenski had worked in only one game above Triple-A.
      The Astros, of course, have been in the market for another starting pitcher all offseason, which could delay Martes' timeline. Houston has been reluctant to move third baseman Alex Bregman and top position-player prospect Kyle Tucker (OF) along with Martes. If the Astros are bent on keeping Martes, that's a sign they believe he could be big league ready sooner rather than later.
      Astros pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Feb. 14, with the full squad scheduled to report Feb. 18.
      Brian McTaggart has covered the Astros since 2004, and for MLB.com since 2009. Follow @brianmctaggart on Twitter and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckTrail View Post
        Yulieski gurriel?Wonder what ya think. In my opinion he's going to do great things
        Still on the fence on with him. I could see .270 for him but i could see him hitting <.250 too. He just needs to have good abs from the 9 holes and play good defense.

Go Stros!!!

Comment

Remember the year the Rangers had the best record in baseball? I forget what happened in the playoffs.....

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            The no trade clause is a big deal to the players. It gives them total control of their destiny. Uncle Drayton wouldnt relent and lost out on a great player. I think the 14MM was more important to him than winning a WS. The Astros got played because they let themselves get played. No one to blame but themselves.

You do know that Boras is Altuve's agent right? How do you think that is going to end for the Astros?
            Unless Altuve tells Boras he wants to stay in Houston, I really doubt that the Stros can pay him what the market will dictate. As young as he is, he is already on a HOF career path (assuming sustained current production)

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Saved..
              According to sports illustrated...

Comment

Marwin is signed to a one year deal and an additional club option year. I believe that leaves McHugh as the only player unsigned.

Comment

Gonna be a fun year in H Town!

Comment

I'm fired up!! Let's Get It!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      Systemnt loves him some of that old Cuban.
                      if he plays like he used to he will be a star but then again transition might play a roll

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                        Remember the year the Rangers had the best record in baseball? I forget what happened in the playoffs.....

keyword

Comment

80-82

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            80-82
                            You must have been drinking.....this isnt the Rangers thread. Maybe the Mods can move it over for you.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              You must have been drinking.....this isnt the Rangers thread. Maybe the Mods can move it over for you.

Comment

I just don't see the Stros pitching holding up. Still pretty weak in the bull pen and haven't found a closer that u know of. Need one of those sleepers that NY seems to find constantly.

Comment

Working...
                                X