DIY Cerakote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Cerakote

anyone tried it? if so did you use the air dry or the bake on stuff? looking to maybe give it a whirl and wanted some opinions from people that have used it.

No one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I looked into it a while ago. People use old house ovens for small work. The main thing that stopped me from pursuing it as a hobby was the meticulous surface prep. That's all everyone was talking about, you have to get it right for the coating to stick. Air dry or oven cure it didn't matter, gotta get it super clean. A blast cabinet was relatively cheap, but the compressor to run it properly was what shut me down. I could pay for every gun I ever wanted to be cerakoted by a professional, before I came out on top for that compressor. I still think it would be fun to tinker with, but I need something else to justify buying a huge air compressor.

Comment

I have the tools to do it, and I've done Duracoat before, but when I was ready to try Cerakote, I found that paying Roman Arms Gun Company in San Antonio was cheaper and less hassle than buying all the individual colors to do it myself. Even on my one color job, it was more reasonable (time and money both considered) for me to pay them than to buy the paint and do it myself. They do great work.
          All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
            I have the tools to do it, and I've done Duracoat before, but when I was ready to try Cerakote, I found that paying Roman Arms Gun Company in San Antonio was cheaper and less hassle than buying all the individual colors to do it myself. Even on my one color job, it was more reasonable (time and money both considered) for me to pay them than to buy the paint and do it myself. They do great work.
            All the best,
            Glenn

What kind of turn around time did they have? I'm in San Antonio as well

Comment

I do Cerakote, both the air dry {C Series) and the oven cure (H Series). It' s great stuff but you have to make sure the cleaning/prepping is done according to NICS.
              Not trying to deter you but.......

Things you will need are a blasting cabinet with #120 aluminum oxide, a few various sizes of degreasing tanks, plenty of Acetone, a good compressor with air dryers on your drops, a spray booth with a vent, a oven(s), a respirator and last but not least is a mini spray gun with micro regulators. Sata and Iwata are what I use. As you can see you can easily spend a couple thousand to do things right

Once you have all of that the actual coating is relatively cheap. Attention to detail is key.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                What kind of turn around time did they have? I'm in San Antonio as well

I dropped it off on Thursday and he texted me the following Wednesday that it was ready. So 6 day turnaround, as there were jobs ahead of mine. He's also got a friend a few doors down that does custom engraving, so if you need / want any of that done as well, they can easily hook that up too. Very nice couple that run the shop.
                All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

I do it on the side its fairly easy just takes time and prep work and an oven that you can easily build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X