I did it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice congrats.

In 2008 I went bow only and sold all my guns except the ones that had some personal meaning. I don't even own a gun right now I can hunt with unless it's squirrels or maybe rabbits (.22 and .410). So I can relate to selling guns for bows .

Comment

Thanks y'all!! It'll be a 64'' 3pc take down, and we're shooting for 48@29.

Comment

Why so light?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I did it again

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          Why so light?

That's not all that light, unless you are a guy like Buff or Chunky! All of my hunting bows are between 48 and 50, and there are only a handful of critters that I would not feel confident hunting with my bows!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Why so light?

So they don't go as far when I miss. If I had a 60 lb bow I'd never find my arrows.

Comment

Why so light?

1) I personally have killed several critters at that exact draw weight.

2) I know several people who kill stuff within +/- 2# of that draw weight..

3) Very few would call that "so light" unless they were just messing around with the fella.

4) I can't tell if you were just joking around, so I appologize for my very intentional snarkiness if you were.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                  So they don't go as far when I miss. If I had a 60 lb bow I'd never find my arrows.
                  Hadn't thought of that! [emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    1) I personally have killed several critters at that exact draw weight.

2) I know several people who kill stuff within +/- 2# of that draw weight..

3) Very few would call that "so light" unless they were just messing around with the fella.

4) I can't tell if you were just joking around, so I appologize for my very intentional snarkiness if you were.

My bow is 50ish at my DL. As busted up as an am I think that's probably all I can handle. I've been hoping to build stronger. I just figured he's younger and stouter than I so he's got a reason to go that weight and I thought I'd ask why.

Comment

Food for thought.....
                      1. a 60# bow with an arrow at 9gpp and a 48# bow with an arrow at 9gpp will shoot almost exactly the same speed. I say almost exactly because there is always an exact point of proficiency in every design.
                      2. 48 @29 is better than 48@ 28!
                      3. I did the 1-3 because I thought it was cool when
                      Scott did it! Lol!!!!

Comment

My bow is 50ish at my DL. As busted up as an am I think that's probably all I can handle. I've been hoping to build stronger. I just figured he's younger and stouter than I so he's got a reason to go that weight and I thought I'd ask why.

Honestly I picked 48 because it's hard to get them exact. I ordered my Widow 50@29 and it came in 49@29, which is fine. They will get you within 2 lbs without paying extra, if you want it within 1 pound, or exact you have to pay a little extra. So I picked 48 because I know Randy can get it between 46-50, and anywhere in there will be good for what I hunt. I'm sure I could shoot a heavier bow, but I don't know how much I could shoot it and I shoot a lot. Sometimes on my days off I'll shoot until I get tired, rest a few minutes and grab the bow again. I have 2 critters I really want to kill, and that's an elk and a black bear. I'd feel good about hunting either one with a 48 lb bow at my DL with a well tuned arrow and a sharp broadhead, so I just kinda mixed comfort and functionality I guess. Lots of folks think anything less than 50 is light for elk, but there's a thread on Tradgang with kill pics from bows 45 and under, and there's some BIG critters in there!! And the cool thing about takedowns is, with my Widow or this bow Randy is building me either one I could always order heavier limbs if I wanted to shoot something bigger.

Comment

Elk are tough. There are those who will argue that a .223 is enough gun for them. I shot one twice through the chest with a 30.06. Bullets impacted less than 3 inches apart. One got heart and one missed the heart. I dropped him with a third shot to the hip as he was running UP the mountain.

That said I just like my arrow on the ground after it goes through the animal. I want to shoot as heavy as I can accuracy and physically without tearing me up.

I might hunt elk at 50lbs but I wouldn't shoot past twenty yards and expect a pass though.

Comment

Well... I wouldn't have lost 50# walking thousands of miles if I didn't have confidence that you can kill an elk with a 48# bow.

I am not getting into shape to just pack out a rabbit

And third, I like your list Randy

Comment

Hey, round is a shape. [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                                I had some guns that were just collecting dust...so I sold a couple and ordered a new longbow. Randy Madden will be building this one and I should have it around the first of deer season. You know it's bad when you start selling guns to buy bows!!
                                I too have sold off alot of my guns....I much prefer to fling arrows instead of a gun range trip, then the cleaning sessions that follow not to mention the expense of the ammo! Good thing about archery is once you buy the initial investment.... maintaining the sport cost very minimal dollars each year.

Comment

Working...
                                X