No announcement yet.

Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't beat the experience Africa offers you.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
      I get it with the cost being better all in all but there is just something to be said about the eating part as well.

I'm sure the experience is the real joy people get out of it.
      That would be it for me. I’ve always been fascinated by Africa. I’ve seen every Africa themed movie ever made, (even the comedies), and the only outdoor shows I watch anymore are African hunts. I’ve been able to afford to go for years, my wife has encouraged me to go, and she wants to go as a non-hunter, but I just can’t stomach that trip. So......I’ll just read about hunts on here and Bowsite and wish I weren’t such a hard-head about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        Having recently gotten back from Hunting South Africa I've been following all the SA threads that I can. Seems like every now and then it is mentioned that, "why go all the way there when you can hunt those here? I don't have to buy that expense plane ticket neither". Well, for one, you simply can't recreate the experience and atmosphere. Second, I did a quick google search for African Exotic hunting in Texas to find a few places that offer African species to hunt here in Texas. This is what I found. I have rounded up on the Africa fees because I can't remember exactly what the show package was for Limcroma safaris at TTHA shows. I remember it was under $4K, but I used 4 because it still makes my point. I tried to include all fees incurred when hunting overseas, but as you can see, even if I missed a few fees it still doesn't change the story. I also couldn't find every animal to compare, but again, doesn't change the story. Warthogs don't seem to be offered here in Texas, at least not at the first 3 ranches I came across. I know if you really did your research and shop you may be able to do better on pricing, but I think this highlights the reality.
        [ATTACH]969738[/ATTACH]

I'm not saying you shouldn't hunt these here, simply that Africa, even including the flight, is NOT more expensive than Texas. To each his/her own. I just wanted to provide real info on both. For those that say you could never afford it, maybe you actually can.

I'll be interested to here other people's thoughts on this. Where did I make mistakes? What else did I miss?

Wouldn't they be about par with each other by the tine the taxidermy is done with the USA getting the advantage because you can eat them?
        I'm sure the experience is worthwhile for most but personally I've never desired to go

Comment

Not being eaten by a lion. $Priceless.

Comment

Africa is a great value.

Comment

I don't like not being able to keep the meat either. That being said, is killing a Kudu, Wildebeest, or Zebra on a high fenced ranch outside of Dallas really a trophy?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                I don't like not being able to keep the meat either. That being said, is killing a Kudu, Wildebeest, or Zebra on a high fenced ranch outside of Dallas really a trophy?
                Probably the same as killing it on a HF in Africa.....maybe

Comment

Looks like in the Texas examples you are paying @ $10,000 to keep the meat ?

Comment

I have done lots of DIY elk, mule, and WT hunts in the states with plenty of success for very little money. That being said, now in my 40's I prefer to hunt out of a nice lodge with a good staff that takes care of things. To hunt this way in the states is ridiculously high priced compared to hunting SA. I still do both but prefer to hunt SA, Zim, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      Probably the same as killing it on a HF in Africa.....maybe
                      Maybe, but a 400 acre ranch here vs a 20,000 acre ranch there

Comment

Africa animals has never intrigued me either here or there. I would like to go to Africa one of these days, if I'm working in that part of the world.
                        I do have a question on the dipping and crating is that per animal or for all 4?

Comment

rladner, great comparison. ever since I went on my first safari in 2008, I always said you could hunt Africa cheaper for trophy quality animals way cheaper than any trophy hunt in the states or Canada.

About fences, those animals over there are hunted 24/7 by humans or carnivores and if they want out of a fence they will get out period! Besides there are a lot of places that are free range. They are as jittery and wary in a fence as they are outside a fence.

If you have never hunted Africa, it is hard to explain what it is like! Even if you are just over there for a cull hunt or a trophy hunt, there is no where in the world that you can see the sheer numbers of animals or the number of different species.

Comment

Wouldn't they be about par with each other by the tine the taxidermy is done with the USA getting the advantage because you can eat them?
                            I'm sure the experience is worthwhile for most but personally I've never desired to go
                            This. Taxidermy is expensive.

Comment

At one time, I wanted to go, paid money for a deposit, had my animals picked out. What it came down to for me, is I’d rather spend 12-15k on something else. I think it’s a fair value for what you get bit it’s not cheap or affordable by any stretch of the imagination. And on it being a hard hunt, guys going over there shooting 8-12 animals in 7 days it can’t be too tough hunting.
                              Last edited by panhandlehunter; 08-26-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                                This. Taxidermy is expensive.
                                What does the taxidermy have to do with it? That’s gonna cost the same no matter where it’s killed.

Comment

Working...
                                X