No announcement yet.

Question on "trailer Inspection" and Farm Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes, I've been through this before with one of our shop trailers that was brand spanking new.

I called the sheriff's dept and raised about 37 different kinds of hell........and got nowhere. Finaly I asked "where do I get a *%&$!@$ trailer inspected?", and they said any Tx state inspection place can do it. So I drag the thing down to the oil change/carwash/inspection joint and tell them I want this trailer inspected, after which I received the blankest of stares...... Skippy the grease monkey goes inside and talks to his boss, comes back out and say's "uh, like dude, we don't do that here...." I said, "Skippy, that sign says Texas Inspection here, and somebody here is gonna inspect this *!@$#@%* trailer.....". Well then I get the manager out and make him get the book out and sure enough he found the proper info and we got'er inspected!

If they really want to get picky........they can write you a ticket for not having brakes on a trailer rated at 4500# or more...

I never herd this eather. I have a big horse trailer its not inspected. I have a 16 ft trailer hell it might be 20 ft. If I had a tractor on it would be over the limmit too.
    Doesn't matter what you've got on the trailer, the rules are based on it's GVWR (what it's RATED to haul).

Comment

Honest truth is, the guy was being overly picky. Probably having a bad day you ended being his target.

Comment

Dale, your right but I have brakes and they were hooked up so he could not get me on that. Frankly he was curtious, but was looking for revenue for Washington county. Better watch out if you are going through Brenham or specifically Burton Texas on Hwy 290. I think this guys is earning his pay.

RD

Comment

If its based off GVWR is he going to pull the registraion on the trailer to check it? I know one of my tandem axle trailers is rated at 4000# on its registraion paper but in actuality I think its 7000#.

Comment

That sucks man... I don't think I have hooked up to a trailer with a tag let alone an inspection. Working for my dads shop, I have given trailers inspections before and it was lights, tread, and reflectors. slap the sticker in front left. I have always heard if it has farm tags you should haul a bail of hay on it everywhere like a spare tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
              If its based off GVWR is he going to pull the registraion on the trailer to check it? I know one of my tandem axle trailers is rated at 4000# on its registraion paper but in actuality I think its 7000#.
              Jaspro, That's what he did he pulled the registration up on his computer I guess so yeah that is what he did but he was also looking at the rating sticker on the trailer too.

Oh, and he made me cross the safety chains or he said he would give me a citation for that too.

I finally found a place that does the inspections and he said I would need a brake away connector that activates the brakes with the battery to pass it More money and hassles.....

The thing is they could bust so many people for this...I don't think it is enforced or known about until they want to hassle you about something...

Oh, and this is supposed to be done YEARLY !!!

Oh Great, another $14 per year and a bunch of pain hauling it all over.
              Last edited by ranchdog; 09-22-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I ran into the same problem when I tried to register a shopmade trailer for ISD I work for. Before I could get tags it had to be inspected. No one would inspect it, so I took it to the DPS and had an officer look it over. I also had to receive a number which had to be stamped on the trailer. The funny thing is, I didn't receiver a sticker or stamp of any kind. He said, "Yep, it's a trailer and meets the requirements.". He then signed the form and that was it.

Comment

A guy from work gets pulled over usually 3 times by DPS every time he heads south on a family trip. They do everything short of cavity searches. He has learned to carry all his paper work like registration, inspection...

Just wait until everyone is dragging their ATV on their trailers, then DPS is going to want to see registration for them due to thief being so high.

Comment

I built my 20' trailer and wanted to do the right thing and register it. I went to the county office and they had never registered a home made trailer over 4000#, ever. It required a registration form, a weight form, DPS inspection for quality work and form, a serial number stamped in and DPS verification and form, a front and side picture and form, and a regular inspection and form, all sent in to DPS. That was the last trailer over 4000# cap. that I've built.

Comment

Here is an update on what I have found out so far.

Basically if the "Gross Weight" (weight of trailer + carrying capacity) is greater than 4500 lbs you need the inspection certficate, Unless you have Farm Tags and then you are exempt. This is not just for commercial vehicles its for our plain old trailers that are rated over 4500 lbs. This is not heavily enforced but can be and it is a $145 ticket. I think some places they are cracking down on this. Maybe your area they won't.

Here is the link to where it is defined.

Below is a link to where to find a place to inspect trailers. For example if you put in your zip code in the section for "NON-Emisson Station Locator" you will see a list in your area. Then look in the column TL which stands for "Trailer Certificate" Then you may go there and they will inspect it. I used a zip of 77449 and you will see that GOLBOWS GARAGE INC not only does trailers but CW/CT (CW/CT = Commercial Windshield/Trailer certificate) so they are most likely more knowledgeable about trailers. I called and they know what I am asking about.

Here's what's inspected by vehicle type.
                      Items of Inspection

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
                      2. Tires
                      3. Wheel Assembly
                      4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
                      5. Tail Lamps (2)
                      6. Stop Lamps (2)
                      7. License Plate Lamp (1)
                      8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
                      9. Turn Signal Lamps
                      10. Clearance Lamps
                      11. Side Marker Lamps
                      12. Side Reflectors
                      13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
                      (Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
                      14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

Good Luck, I hope this helps someone avoid the ticket I got due to ignorance. .....Ranchdog

Comment

Wow, I had no idea I needed my 16 foot trailer inspected. I guess I better look into it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

To the Top before bow season starts.

Comment

Wow didn't relize you got a ticket. This one Burton cop is horrble. I work right here off 290 and and I see him pulling people over constantly. I have seen him sit Family's in the grass for an hour just to search there car then put them back on the road.

Comment

also need to consider how much your truck and trailer is rated for combined... if its of 21k or 24k (can't remember) you may need a CDL.

Comment

So if my trailer is rated for over 4500lbs. I have to have trailer brakes.....I bought it brand new without them.........***.........

Comment

Working...
                                X