No announcement yet.

Houseboating on Lake Amistad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it and loved it. Crystal clear water and no one on the lake.

Comment

We did this when I was a teenager in the late 90's. Had an awesome time. There were some headaches for the adults but I didn't worry

Comment

A group of us did this every year for the last several years and the guys I joined had been doing it for 15 plus years before I got in on it. It has it's goods and bads.
        Goods; you are on the water away from every thing. The stars at night are amazing. You can drop a line from the deck and fish anytime you want. Or go for a swim just for the heck of it. If there is an area you know you want to fish you can get pretty close to that area and reduce your drive time to get there. Really is just a very cool and enjoyable experience.

Bads; VERY expensive!!!! I want to say we were paying somewhere around $3k per boat in the off season for 5 days on the water. ( we had 8 guys per boat, 2 boats) paying for the boat is one thing, then you have to pay there $9 per gallon fuel price to fill it back up. And no it doesn't get good fuel economy. It can be a huge pain in the arse to get it tied off. We had a certain cove we went to every year and would pull up to the bank and tie off as tight as we could to get it. If the wind ever got up we would always have to re tighten every thing down again. If you have an issue or forget something in the truck or need something from the store, it is always a long boat ride back to the dock. Cell service can be sketchy at times and pending on where you go and your phone can ping off the Mexico towers and your service provider will charge you for international service. Lastly they are boats that are rented out. If there could be something other than sinking go wrong we had it. Motor issues, generator issues potable water issues, black water issues you name it, over the years we had it. We finally stopped using the boats just because of the cost. But we do still go down there and just rent one of the trailer houses up on the hill. They are pretty nice as well but I really miss being able to go on the boats. Have fun in what ever you decide to do!!

Comment

Unfortunately they don't rent any boats at Amistad anymore.

Comment

Unfortunately they don't rent any boats at Amistad anymore.
            That's my understanding too...no more houseboat rentals on the lake. I enjoyed it when we did it with 3 other couples but I didn't enjoy the fact that they hadn't emptied the sewage tank and we filled it up the first night or that one AC unit wouldn't work after the first night or that the hot tub just wouldn't work.

But it was fun lol.

Comment

Working...
            X