NASA Discovers Bigger, Older Cousin to Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
    I guess this can't just be a cool scientific discovery without bringing politics into it. Sigh. Oh well
    X2

It is crazy to think how vast the universe is. I read in a different artilce in order to get there we would need to learn how to travel at the speed of light as it is a few thousand light years away. Also it being bigger then Earth it would be more trouble some to walk on the planet due to the increased gravity it would have. Very interesting that for sure.

Side note I was watching a video the other day of some of NASA's missions that failed and wow it was incredible how much of a non Safety environment they lived in even though they were trying to go into space and the unknown and stuff. I saw video of one of the space launches when the mission control innitiated the space shuttle to basically go full throttle and due to a failure in an O-Ring the shuttle blew up trying to exit our atmosphere. Another video when the space shuttle took off and debris caused a wing to be damaged and NASA didnt order them to fix it in space and they said they should be ok upon returning to earth. The werer coming back down and burt into flames becasue the NASA main guys didnt want to fix it the correct way. If I can find the video I will share it.

Comment

[quote=flywise;10297122]
      Originally posted by sethcros View Post
      Agreed. What they are finding is really cool, and one day we will find life out there...or it will find us[/QUOTE]

I'm 100% convinced they already have and that there is proof all over the world
      That explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by fireman0684 View Post
        I'll volunteer to try it out if it's covered in these. It'll be tough, but I would do my best to make it
        ... wait would they all be synced up???... you gotta go into hiding one week a month...

anybody ever seen the futurama episode with the land of the Amazons?

Debemos descansar. El espíritu está dispuesto, pero la carne está esponjosa y magullada.

DEATH BY SNU SNU!

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          I have a feeling that within the next 100 years we'll confirm other life.

Too bad I won't be around to see it.
          Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
          There may be life, but advanced enough to have built a "space worthy" vessel and travel into the great beyond to look for life.....I don't know.

We have truly made some mind boggling leaps on this planet, not so sure it could EVER be duplicated. We take what we have done here for granted, the light bulb alone is an absolute marvel.....and we were just getting started.
          Never happen. You guys just keep on with the fairy tales, hopes, and dreams. In 100 years people just like you will be saying the same thing....As long as there are humans people will be swearing there's other life that we will find one day.

100 years is a tiny blip in the timeline. Like so small it's stupid. So if there were life capable to find us the odds they come by in this tiny blip is nearly zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Nado View Post
            It is crazy to think how vast the universe is.
            Heck, just look how much space there is between planets in our own solar system.

You might spend some time scrolling through this.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
              Money down the drain ...
              Originally posted by Man View Post
              Wow!really?
              Aside from us spending tons of money for new technology yes, it's a 100% waste of money.

What else can we possibly gain?

Comment

I'm going to buy the www.KeplerBowHunter.com domain....just in case

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                  Heck, just look how much space there is between planets in our own solar system.

You might spend some time scrolling through this.
                  lol that was pretty cool

Comment

I wonder what makes them believe it's 1.5 billion years older?

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                      *puts on geek hat*

Because the star it orbits (Kepler-452) is a G2V type star, which is the same type as our sun. 452 though is 20 percent brighter, 3.7 percent more massive and has a 11 percent larger diameter. Comparing that, and more data against what we know about our own sun, leads "them" to that conclusion.

Comment

*puts on geek hat*

Because the star it orbits (Kepler-452) is a G2V type star, which is the same type as our sun. 452 though is 20 percent brighter, 3.7 percent more massive and has a 11 percent larger diameter. Comparing that, and more data against what we know about our own sun, leads "them" to that conclusion.
                        I knew there was a reason I liked you lol

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                          *puts on geek hat*

And is probably as good a guess as carbon dating...you know that rock is 10 mil years old...rerun test.. No it's 300 mil years old...rerun text.. yep we got it this time it's 15k years old.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            And is probably as good a guess as carbon dating...you know that rock is 10 mil years old...rerun test.. No it's 300 mil years old...rerun text.. yep we got it this time it's 15k years old.
                            You're right, lets just look at a book to determine how old everything is. No point in trying to figure this stuff out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                              You're right, lets just look at a book to determine how old everything is. No point in trying to figure this stuff out.
                              You just can't bother with it, man. You just have to smile and nod

Comment

The fastest manmade object utilizing the slingshot effect managed to achieve .00012 the speed of light (87,000mph).
                                Math was never my strong suit but that's a tiny fraction of the speed that, if we could begin to approach, would still take us 1,400 years to get there.

Mind boggling to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X