Be careful with kids and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful with kids and pools

You folks with kids or grandkids and a pool nearby be alert. As my wife says, “What sound does a drowning child make? Silence.”

I know of 2 child pool drownings, and those kids were older. Be alert and God bless your families.

The 19-month-old daughter of Olympic skier Bode Miller, Emmy, died Sunday in a hospital after a pool accident Saturday night. Miller confirmed the death in a statement on Instagram: "We are beyond devastated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw that , super sad stuff .

Comment

I’ve seen how fast it can happen even with others in the pool at the same time. Thank god I know cpr and I don’t think the kid was under too long but long enough to have blue lips and loss all his color. There was no alcohol involved at all so this was not some big party where everyone was doing there own thing not caring much. It was a child’s party and parents were everywhere around the pool.

Comment

Very sad situation.

My new pool will be filled soon. Safety fence is being installed Monday.

Comment

Sad. We've sent our daughter to survival swim lessons the last couple years, she's 2.5. Really amazing what they've taught her.

Comment

Teach your kids to side stroke

Comment

It can happen so quickly and is definitely silent. I saw it with my own daughter. Never heard her hit the water even though I was only 10 feet away. Fortunately I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and was able to get her as she struggled, face down in our pool. She was about a year old at the time.
              Last edited by rjtkdplus; 06-12-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Not just pools but any body of water, I had boy fall off my parents pier several years ago and if I hadn't been there to grab his arm and lift him out of the water it could had been bad. It was deep where he went in and my dad had it brushed pretty good for crappie.

Comment

I worked as a lifeguard for many years. It can and will happen so fast. Pulled more then a few out of the water. Thank god none of them died. I am also a WSI and have taught many very young kids how to swim. If you have kids IMHO its one of the most important things you can do to save your child's life. Teach them to swim before they can walk!

Comment

had a scare a couple weeks ago at a kids swim party. bunch of kinder through 2nd age kids who were pretty good swimmers in the pool and our 3.5yr old snuck in without her life jacket. fortunately I noticed right about the time she got to where she couldn't touch and snatched her. didn't go under, but coughed up water.... had her checked out and was ok.

she had been in swim lessons for a while until last fall. was almost swimming at the time, but had lost it all over ~9mo. she started back up last week.

as said before, it can happen quickly, quietly, and with people around.

Comment

I built the fence around my pool before I ever moved in the house. We were painting inside and replacing the upstairs carpet before we moved. I did the pool fence while the painters and floor people did the inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	24542697

We were at a friend's son's 13th birthday party and out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement by the pool. The birthday boy's younger brother (3 yr old) had slipped away from the singing of happy birthday and was jumping in off the rocks in the deep end. Everyone's back was to the pool at that time. I was standing in the back and just happen to see something out the corner of my eye. I saw him start to jump and took off running and cleared a few chairs next to the pool to go in the other side of the pool from him about 5 sec after he hit the water. I was able to grab the kid and get him out of the water in less than 10 sec from when he jumped. I don't know what scared the kid more, him going under the water with no float on or the wave that my big *** made when I jumped over the chair and into the water.

I will say this, a 6'3" 300# guy running full speed in flip flops, jumping over a chair, and basically belly flopping into a pool at a 13yr old birthday party while everyone is singing happy birthday will definitely get a lot of attention. I couldn't believe how fast it happened and that no one else saw it except me. There were easily 25 kids at this party and probably around 40 adults. That experience is one of the reasons why I put the fence up around my pool so quickly before moving in.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                        I built the fence around my pool before I ever moved in the house. We were painting inside and replacing the upstairs carpet before we moved. I did the pool fence while the painters and floor people did the inside.

[ATTACH]911431[/ATTACH]

We were at a friend's son's 13th birthday party and out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement by the pool. The birthday boy's younger brother (3 yr old) had slipped away from the singing of happy birthday and was jumping in off the rocks in the deep end. Everyone's back was to the pool at that time. I was standing in the back and just happen to see something out the corner of my eye. I saw him start to jump and took off running and cleared a few chairs next to the pool to go in the other side of the pool from him about 5 sec after he hit the water. I was able to grab the kid and get him out of the water in less than 10 sec from when he jumped. I don't know what scared the kid more, him going under the water with no float on or the wave that my big *** made when I jumped over the chair and into the water.

I will say this, a 6'3" 300# guy running full speed in flip flops, jumping over a chair, and basically belly flopping into a pool at a 13yr old birthday party while everyone is singing happy birthday will definitely get a lot of attention. I couldn't believe how fast it happened and that no one else saw it except me. There were easily 25 kids at this party and probably around 40 adults. That experience is one of the reasons why I put the fence up around my pool so quickly before moving in.
                        It’s scary. We’ve got a bunch of family in town right now for graduation and saw it first hand the other day. One of my nieces is four and has been in swimming lessons for over a year now and is a little fish. Will run and jump in the deep end likes it nothing and knows how to swim under water and get herself out. One of my cousins little ones isn’t quite as good and thought she would follow my niece. In she went and started sinking line a paper weight. Luckily I had just got back in the pool and was right by her when she did it and was able to grab an arm about two feet under water. She never knew what happened!

Comment

It happens way to often.

Comment

I'm a home inspector and pool inspector. Here are some thoughts.
                            If your house is a part of the fence barrier. Every door and window going out to the pool needs to have an alarm sound. Not your house alarm...
                            If you have a door in your garage going out to your yard with a pool, you have to have a dead bolt on the top part of your door.
                            Any wood or etc fence cannot have an opening for little Johnny to crawl through to get to neighbors pool.
                            State of Texas from my understanding if you own a pool you better know the safety concerns of the surrounding pool area. No negligence for not knowing. Like every pool should have a visible throwing device like a donut or pole with a hook that is visible. Not thrown behind the fence with the pool equipment.
                            It's all about keeping little Johnny safe.
                            One more thing...
                            Holiday Inn pool or some kinda motel pool size.
                            6 people in the hot tub is equivalent to over 250 people in the pool. Next time you are breathing the steam in the hot remember how many germs your breathing in🤔

Comment

Scary stuff. I've got 4 little ones... We're going to put one in later this year and I already told my wife no safety cover = no pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X