No announcement yet.

What is wrong with this bucks feet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very old buck, you can also see the callouses over his knees on his front legs. I would guess 10+. Do you have any picts of him standing with his head up?

Comment

Old buck! I shot one like that a few years ago that wound up aging at 10.5.

Comment

he has very weak pasterns. I have seen it in goats. in goats it is a poor genetic trait that is bred out over time if someone is paying attention to their herd. I would be leaning to bad genetics 1st, old age second.

Comment

He's a sick deer. Blood is pulled away from the feet of deer when they are under stress from an illness.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
            Very old buck, you can also see the callouses over his knees on his front legs. I would guess 10+. Do you have any picts of him standing with his head up?

I look when I get back to the camp house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
              Callouses on the knees doesn't always mean "old age". We shot a buck last week that had callouses the size of half dollars on both front knees and he was only 5.5

Callouses depend on the terrain they live in and where they bed down.

Comment

Deer are amazing animals for sure. I can't say what caused his condition but I did see a pic a while back of a buck that had lost both of his rear hoofs at the ankle and was walking on pure exposed bone. Don't know how that one survived but it was clear he was a tough one.

Comment

Bet his tracks after a little rain would confuse some folks

Comment

I think EHD causes hooves to do that.

Comment

Being an animal chiropractor, I have seen this in everything from dogs, mostly German Shepherds, to cattle and goats. Although I haven't treated a deer for it, in other animals, when injury isn't involved, it is a genetic issue more times that not. In this case, given the distribution to all 4 limbs, I would lean toward genetics and age. Cull

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                        he has very weak pasterns. I have seen it in goats. in goats it is a poor genetic trait that is bred out over time if someone is paying attention to their herd. I would be leaning to bad genetics 1st, old age second.
                        This...down pasterns.
                        Happens in horses and dogs too. I have never seen it in deer.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                          I think EHD causes hooves to do that.
                          With EHD you typically only see thin fractures or small cracks in the hooves themselves, not usually this kind entire foot posture deformity...

Comment

wow! Need to shoot him

Comment

I agree that he looks to be an older deer. Some old timers say you can age a deer by the number of wrinkles on his ears and he does have quite a few. Is this in an AR county? If so, will he make 13 inches?

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                                That's 2 dudes in a deer costume pulling a prank on you.
                                😂😂😂 exactly what I was thinking

Comment

Working...
                                X