Mounting a Cedar Mantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting a Cedar Mantle

What’s the best way to mount a cedar mantle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And what is the best oil to use on the mantle once I get it cleaned up?

Comment

Get a piece of flat stock that will fit in the existing void. Weld three to four pieces of square tubing onto the flat strap extending 2/3 of the way into cedar. Drill/plunge into back of cedar to accommodate.

Comment

If the brick is secure, mount two stacked 2x4's to the brick that are not as wide as the mantle. Then mortice (create a cavity) out the back side of the mantle to slide over the 2x4's. Use a trim screw to fasten it to the 2x4's from the top. I've done this a lot!

Comment

Im not at home right now, so cant do pics. Remend me later if i forget to respond, and ill get some pics if how my cedar mantle is mounted.

Bisch

Comment

Mine was mesquite and I drilled 3 holes through the brick, epoxied 1/2 rebar in the holes, drilled holes in back of mantle so it would slide onto the rebar and glued that.

Comment

Envirotex for the sealant.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Mine was mesquite and I drilled 3 holes through the brick, epoxied 1/2 rebar in the holes, drilled holes in back of mantle so it would slide onto the rebar and glued that.

This, I epoxied into my studs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This except we doubled up 2x4s when we built and drilled through them.

Comment

I'm leaning toward this... My original plan was to get longer lags and slip a piece of conduit over it, so I could use the same lead anchors. I might remove the anchors and epoxy rebar in the holes.

Comment

I did something similar. I have a steel wall behind the rock face. I simply welded four 3/4” pieces of round stock to the wall for the mantle to slip over. Care should be taken to get all them at the same distance, plumb/level with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        I did something similar. I have a steel wall behind the rock face. I simply welded four 3/4” pieces of round stock to the wall for the mantle to slip over. Care should be taken to get all them at the same distance, plumb/level with each other.

I thought about doing it this way as well, but rebar would be less time consuming.

Comment

Rip a 2x4 in half on a 45, put one half on the wall and one half on the mantle where they'll lock together.

Comment

Few more coats of oil and it will be ready.

PSA! Don’t leave rags soaked in boiled linseed oil laying around.

We got lucky and found them before we burned down the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That turned out great! Glad you got to the rags as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X