New house new projects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New house new projects.

Bought a house in Christoval last year and we have a few different projects going on, like to share our progress.

First up is have a elevated garden going in.
    Got a good deal on railroad ties at $4 a piece.
    Going to have to line them with plastic because we’re pretty close to the lateral lines.
    I have a pretty cool idea for a garden fence, I’ll post updates soon as they come along.

child labor is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife planted her garden

Building a small pond so I could use the top soil for our yard.

Comment

Nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Like that ride in the driveway. Can we get some pics please?

Comment

I have always heard not to use rail road ties for garden beds due to the chemicals in the wood. I have no idea if this is really true just thought I would pass along the info in case you would like to check in to it. They do look nice though!

Edit: i was curious so I just googled it. I realize a lot of what you read on the internet is bs but it’s recommended not to handle retired railroad ties without long sleeves and gloves. Lots of scary side effects. Might be worth researching further before you do any more work with them.
          Last edited by mattjproc; 03-26-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
            I have always heard not to use rail road ties for garden beds due to the chemicals in the wood. I have no idea if this is really true just thought I would pass along the info in case you would like to check in to it. They do look nice though!

Edit: i was curious so I just googled it. I realize a lot of what you read on the internet is bs but it’s recommended not to handle retired railroad ties without long sleeves and gloves. Lots of scary side effects. Might be worth researching further before you do any more work with them.
            Yeah you bring up a good point that I over looked! I’ll definitely be doing some research on the subject. Thanks for Thinking of it.
            I’m going to end up lining them with plastic so that will help a bunch. Also, these ties are pretty old and rotten.

” … in 2008 the Environmental Protection Agency completed a reassessment … Testing determined that:
            1. plant-based creosote has increasingly been used for this purpose since the early 1980’s.
            2. that its primary source of potential health risk is to the workers in the wood-treatment plants working with fresh mix but that even that risk is minimized by safe handling,
            3. that creosote can be harmful to plants if it comes into direct contact with them … but plants will not absorb the substance into their root tissue.
            4. … and creosote will generally not migrate far enough through the soil to reach plants that are a short distance away
            5. and … you’re unlikely to have more than short-term direct contact with creosote, and because plants don’t absorb creosote through their roots, you won’t be exposed to it by eating vegetables grown near treated timbers.”
            Last edited by boh347; 03-26-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Building the pads for my 24x24 shop
              And the 30x40 out back.

Comment

My wife was busy planting trees!

Comment

Really cool timeline video. How did you do it?

Comment

Making some progress on the fence around the garden!

Comment

Originally posted by d1rich1 View Post
                      Really cool timeline video. How did you do it?

Took some still shots from our security camera and ran them through a gif maker[emoji12]

Comment

Deer are going to love that garden!

Comment

Nice work. I like the fence.

Comment

Got the kids out working lol

Comment

Sitting here on a heating pad right now and that pic of the Quikkrete bags on the pallet almost made my back spasm!!!

Lots of satisfaction to be had working on one's own place for sure. And, on the matter of the possible toxicity of the ties----don't just check it out check out who is posting it. I distrust nearly everything I read on the web, and for sure if it is out of the left coast area.

Comment

Working...
                              X