My Son's First Real Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Son's First Real Hunt

My oldest son, Cooper, is 5 now and I decided it was now time to give it a go on a "real" hunt with me. I mean no books, no DVD player and attempt a full length hunt.

Last Sunday morning I woke him up at 5:15 am and asked him if he wanted to go hunting. He's not normally a morning person, but he jumped up and was wide awake. He was dressed and waiting in the kitchen by the time I got ready. This was also his first ever morning hunt.

We made the trek to the blind, me carrying a backpack, bow and him. The grass is a little too tall for him to walk through in the dark. We settled in at 6:15 am, 45 minutes before daylight. I was planning on doing everything just the way I would without him. There would be no box blind or pop-up to conceal the noise or movement. We were about 12' high up in a oak tree platform and not hunting a feeder. He was excited sitting there in the dark, because I told him that was my favorite time of the morning.

The sun started to come up and the critters started moving. I was teaching him what the different sounds we were hearing and that he needed to be still, move slow, and whisper very quietly. We didn't see anything until about 7:30, but he never complained. Our first sighting was about 25 cows. I think he enjoyed that more than me.

Finally at about 8:15 the first and only deer made an appearance. A nice 3.5 year old 8pt skirted by us. Luckily the buck came out right where Cooper could see him. He was so excited, he began to giggle. I gave him the shhh sign and he could barely contain it, but he did. The buck was walking away and I grunted him right back to our tree where he walked right under us. He ended up eating under the tree for about 10 minutes. I quietly explained to Cooper that he was a 3 year old and too young to shoot. He understood and we watched the buck move off.

We ended up sitting until 9:30 am and Cooper never asked to get down or go "potty". I asked him if he was ready to go because I had to go "potty". He said, "Ok Dad. Maybe next time we'll see a 4 year old."

On the walk back to the truck, he was dragging his feet on the gravel road. I showed him how to pick up his feet, ease the heel down and then the toe. He finished the second half of the walk using his new technique.

When we got home, Cooper told Mom all about the hunt. "Mom we saw 840 cows and a big 8pt buck, but Daddy didn't shoot him cause he was only 3."

I'm so proud of him for doing so well. He learned a lot and was able to tell me everything he learned. It was my favorite hunt of the season despite seeing the least amount of deer. I think he is hooked and I'm sure my solo hunting days are quite numbered and I'm not at all disappointed about that. I can't wait for our next hunt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coop Hunt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	25130281

man thats great

Comment

Good memories.

Comment

awesome !! I like that set up. have anymore pics of that?

Comment

That's awesome! Enjoy it because it goes by FAST.

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Supercool!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

That is great

Comment

That is greatness!!!

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Awesome job dad.

Comment

Well done, dad!

Comment

sound slike a good time I cant wait to bring my boys

Comment

That is awesome Jeff!! Can't believe that boy is that big already!! He shore looks like his daddy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X