Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradition or Want?

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me..

Same here... I just don’t have the need to fill every tag like I used to. I usually pass any leftover lease allotment I don’t fill onto the other members’ kids or guests at the lease. I get more enjoyment out of them killing my allotted does than I do. I guess after years of whacking does on my Dad’s MLD place to get their numbers kinda ruined that for me and I got my fill. I get my fixes on my “trophy” or maybe a good mature skim [emoji38]if no trophy is available.....and then of course dove, turkey and more recently, pigs.
    Last edited by Smart; 11-06-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I go crazy if I don’t get into the wild every now and then!

I definitely have tons of traditions centered around hunting, but thats not why I do it. I do feel the “need” to hunt, but I don’t necessarily have to kill something to enjoy it (although it’s obviously more exciting when you are successful).

With each passing year, I love wild game meat more and more. I love processing, cooking, and eating it a lot.

That being said, some Sunday mornings when it’s a bit warm, and I have a long drive ahead of me before starting my week, I will skip shooting a doe, because it’s too much work or a hassle given the circumstances.

Comment

I could have tagged out the first day I hunted, but I have yet to kill a deer. I have passed deer bigger than 90% of the deer taken on my lease. I dont hunt to kill or for food. I hunt because I love being outdoors, improving habitat and watching deer. When a deer bigger than my last one or one that is fully mature and at least 6 years old walks out I will take him. If conditions are right and I have time I will take a doe or two and give the meat to people who dont have a whole lot in the way of money.

Comment

I am in the group of "I want to kill something but I don't have a place to hunt this year minus my backyard for pigs." I think I enjoy processing my own game as much as I do killing.

Comment

I just like to hunt, it relaxes me and it takes a pretty good one to get me to shoot it. I’ll shoot a doe or two for meat, not because I need it but like the way it taste.

Comment

I get most enjoyment out of spending time with my buddies/family out in the woods.

Comment

I have to agree I enjoy the hunt, seeing my boy experience things in the outdoors for the first time that does it for me. I could've killed a pile of deer now but i catch myself holding out for that "one" now more. I enjoy my time around camp with all my buddies almost as much as shooting one. Just relaxing being out there in the woods for me

Comment

Originally posted by cram369 View Post
                  Have always enjoyed spending time in the woods, and enjoy roaming the woods and scouting about as much as hunting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I hate running out of tags. I had to make myself take a break. I only have one tag left after a month of Archery season. I love hunting them, shooting them, eating them. I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me. I crave the thrill of the hunt.
                  Yep that's me. I don't "need" the meat, as I think very few these days hunt because of that. I do process my own after the thrill of the planning, hunting, and killing is done. I enjoy that part of it too. The whole thing from beginning to end is enjoyable and rewarding to me. It's more than a hobby, it's part of who I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    The older I get the less I have to kill deer just to kill as a whole....does culls skims, mgmt deer etc.... Now put a good old mature buck that tickles my fancy or any of the three dove types in front of me, and I revert back to 20 years old stat!
                    Same. I do want to expand into more western hunting however. Sitting in a deer stand I like to watch the deer but will not shoot unless it’s a bruiser. Just not mad at em anymore.

Comment

My wife says that I am more of a "deer watcher" than a "deer hunter". LOL! I am in the camp that feels at peace in the woods. I go hard at work and home and truly enjoy the opportunity to sit in a tree with no other distractions, no cell phone ringing, nobody needing anything from me, just me and the woods. Nothing beats that morning hunt as the sun slowly starts to crest the horizon and the woods begins to wake up. It is a spiritual experience for me. Having deer show up is just icing on the cake.

Comment

Everyone is in a different hunter stage. Nothing wrong with that. Accept it and don't get butt hurt over it.

Shooter Stage
                        Limiting-Out Stage
                        Trophy Stage
                        Method Stage
                        Sportsman Stage

Comment

There was a time when I hunted for sport and for the challenge. I'd eat what I shot, but it would take forever because my other half wouldn't allow me to process it inside the house, or cook it. She's gone now, so I get most of my meat from deer I've killed. I eat mostly venison. Now, mine is primarily axis, but that is what is for supper in some fashion nearly every night.

So now, while I love to get in the woods, I kill deer to eat. I am going to be due some meat here in the next month or so, and one will go down for food. She'll have spots and will eat quite well. They are amazing in taco soup by the way!

Comment

I need to hunt; I'd probably die inside if I couldn't spend the time outdoors hunting that I do. I certainly don't need to kill everytime, or even most of the time. But I need to be out there and have just a chance at some notching some tags. I also have a lot respect for those guys who try for 5-10-20 years before getting their first kill, or only get 1 kill a year even. I probably would have reverted to being a gatherer at that point.

Comment

For myself, I am only going to kill something if it's going on my wall. I don't particularly like eating it so don't ever kill anything just for the freezer. I didn't kill a deer last year and was fine with it.

Now my boys, they want to shoot everything, and they like eating it. I gave my youngest son the green light to shoot a doe last Sunday and after he slid into the shooter seat he said "Dad, look how much I'm shaking.". Luckily for the doe, she slipped off into the woods before he could get a shot, but buck fever had already hit and he never even put the scope on her.

Comment

Working...
                              X