Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

friends how many of yall have daughters sons wives grandmas or grandpas that cannot pull the state mandated 40 lbs?? I and my little 11 yr old daughter jasmine are affected by this while hog hunting last year she could have shot a 130 class buck during archery season but since her bow was not 40 lbs or legal I asked her not to attempt to shoot the nice buck. it broke my heart til tell my little girl she couldnt shoot the buck. i know for a fact she would have blown right through the buck resilting in a quick humane end. My merits or this i have seen my daughter shoot through big hogs with her parker 34 lb bow with a good sharp broadhead. Im tired of my daughter being left behind only to watch me shoot a big buck. How many of yall does this affect??? im sure alot of you. As a hunting guide i have personally guided at least 10 youth to there first hogs all using modern comound bows with draw weifht in the 25-35 lb range ive seen several woman in the 36 lb range blow through 260 lb boars. A 250lb hog is a whole different animal then a a 100lb texas deer. that is no more than 8 inches wide. i believe what im asking us to do is not unresanonable im open for discussion

so where do you want them to draw the line? 36#

Comment

Personally I'd like to see it based on kinetic energy opposed to draw weight.

Comment

What Cotton said.

Draw weight doesn't mean a thing to the animal getting hit. It is the Kinetic energy.

Comment

I agree Cotton but checking KE in the field would be tough for a game warden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudshack View Post
            What Cotton said.

Draw weight doesn't mean a thing to the animal getting hit. It is the Kinetic energy.

Ditto on what both said.

Comment

Cull....if he can check draw weight, read the labels on the arrow, messure the shaft and know the BH weight, he can get pretty darn close with a calculator.

Comment

debat

That is open for discussion, i also believe knetic energy isimportant a good sharp broadhead does wonders. ive been doing some experiments try this take a good sharp muzzy magnus swuckey etc put the head on a hogs shoulder and press you wil;l be amzed at how easily it penetrates. modern bows are incredibly efficent like i said alot of you have sons and daughters who cannot pull 40 lbs by the time most kids are able to pull 40 lbs they are hooked on cell phones video games etc. we have to get our youth our woman and our elderly involved in this great sport, im sure most of you would agree. i dont worry about my daughters as they are hunting next to me my oldest @ 15 can now pull 40 i dont want to have to wait 2 mores to see kasmine drill a deer now any other child who loves to bowhunt once again thanks for discussing this matter

Comment

Personally I'd like to see it based on kinetic energy opposed to draw weight.
                  EXACTLY COTTON!

I would put money that the Elite Ice @ 29lbs would create enough KE to down a deer!

Comment

Have KE calculated and certified with a sticker on the bow.

Comment

thanks

thanks guys i can tell yall are serious bowhunters and understand the kinetic energy prinicple i know what my daughters parker buckshot bow will do!!!!! and ive hears tories of the ice maybe jasmines next bow

Comment

Mudshack,
                        He/she would also need an arrow scale. Not all arrows have the gpi on them.

Comment

Easy fix.

Just have the wives/kids shoot a crossbow.

Comment

I agree Cotton but checking KE in the field would be tough for a game warden.
                            He/she would also need an arrow scale. Not all arrows have the gpi on them.
                            Have KE calculated and certified with a sticker on the bow.
                            Easy fix.

Just have the wives/kids shoot a crossbow.
                            Thanks for saying it someone needed to.

All of these things are why KE wont work. it will have to be a weight requirement. People will not know how to measure this. I dont and dont care.
                            It will have to be moved to a 35# weight ro something similar. If you are pulling 80% letoff on 40# you are only holding 8#'s.

Comment

Or they could carry a calibrated target, set at a calibrated distance, and have the "said hunter" shoot the target.

This would prove more than just the capability of the bow.

If mythbusters can create a gel that is equivilant to a human body, I am sure someone can create a target block for GW's to keep in their trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X