Sonora TX 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
    I know of some on the river North of Junction.
    Yeah, there are several in and around Junction. My lease doesn't have a cabin, and I don't have a camper. I'd like to find a place closer to my lease than driving in to Junction or Sonora. I'm almost exactly halfway between the two towns.

It takes a looooong time to hunt all day in the summer time. Adding in the drive back and forth to town makes it an hour longer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
      Think I may head out on Sunday evening to get a few days of relaxing in at the ranch. Not sure how much hunting will be done, but hopefully at least one or two stalks.

Google maps has always shown a route that takes you through some county roads/ranch roads to get to bond road from I10 rather than going to Sonora and then back down. Anyone familiar with county road 312 or ranch road 3130?

There used to be a loop from station B road which is 313 but a ranch owner locked the gate. Then 312 had a road that would cut through but it got locked up also. Pretty much only way is if you work for an oil or gas company is the only way to cut through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Edward54 View Post
        There used to be a loop from station B road which is 313 but a ranch owner locked the gate. Then 312 had a road that would cut through but it got locked up also. Pretty much only way is if you work for an oil or gas company is the only way to cut through

Thanks, not to familiar with the ranch roads and didn't want to start driving across someones property Im not suppose to be on. Was mainly gonna take it for the scenic route this trip.

Comment

Anyone starting to see good velvet bucks on cam in the area? I got this one coming everyday. Been watching him grow for the past 2 months now. His brow tines are looking to be something special, hoping the rest of his horns turn out well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Saw two near Camp Wood like that this weekend, lots of other small guys. Thought the axis would be out and about but not so much. We got 2 pigs and an axis doe on the ground though.

Comment

It's going to be a hot one, but I'm taking Monday off, and I'm going to head out to the ranch Sunday & Monday for some feeder filling, camera checking, and hopefully some killing. Anyone else thinking about making a trip this holiday weekend?

Comment

Planner and I will be at our place on Saturday. Just making a one-day feed run though.

Comment

Thought about heading up there tomorrow but my buddies invited me last mintue to a blast (hog hunt) and cast at their property so going to that instead. Be sure you guys watch for rattlers and drink lots of water! Gonna be a hot one.

Comment

Just got back from the ranch. Hit it perfect timing with the front that came through. barely hit 90 degrees and was around 68 in the early mornings. Put a lot of stalking in and had a few good encounters with the bow. Ended up pulling out the rifle the last hunt and took a doe. Had a really cool encounter with a trophy axis as well on one of the stalks. Will give a short story about it.

Got out my truck right before sunrise and started walking. Not more than 75 yards from the truck i come across a group of axis and there is one of the largest bucks I've seen in this group. I get about 30 yards from them, basically they are on one side of some mesquites and im on the other. As I'm standing there a spike steps out and looks my way. He starts barking and I thought Im done with. The big buck was looking my way now. After a minute or so the big buck moves out of sight and the spike starts to walk off as well. I thought they were going away, but all of the sudden the big buck rounds the other corner of mesquite heading straight at me. He stops at 25 yards and for few minutes he is just staring my way barking here and there. Then he let out a roar. This all happen so fast that my arrow was still in the quiver. The big axis then cuts perpendicular to me and starts going through the mesquite so i quickly knock an arrow and draw. Unfortunately he stepped out only enough to look my way and then bolted. Was like a seen from elk hunting videos. I ended up seeing him again the next morning at the same spot. This time they were walking my way when i spotted them. I got set up in some brush and knocked an arrow. However, I had just got done with a number two about 30 yards before spotting them and when they got around 50 yards they looked towards my number two tree and took off. Until next time.
                    Attached Files

Comment

WTN and I hit the ranch today to fill some feeders. Stopped at Rafter W on the way to get some corn/protein. They said they will be closed Monday but be open Tuesday to have two consecutive days off... just a heads up for anyone planning to stop in the next couple days. The area got a little rain today, but nothing significant while we were there. Overall, the pastures looked to be in good shape. We've seen it greener but given its July and have had some hot days recently it looked pretty good. Deer seem to be hitting the protein - the feeders filled a couple weeks ago were empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Anybody know of any rental cabins between Junction and Sonora? I know the Simons have Copperas Creek Cabins. Any others?
                        There was cabins for rent at one time in the old gas station a crossed the street from Simon Bro. I don't think its the Copperas Creek Cabins.

Comment

Just got back from the ranch. Pastures look good for now but drying out pretty quick will need some rain next 15-20 days or it's going to get bad. Time to fill all the corn feeders and top off the protein to help them out. I saw a lot of good axis bucks and the WT are looking good this year.

Comment

Curious about the weight of axis in this area of Texas as well as protein vs. no protein. What has been the average weight for your bucks? What is the heaviest buck you've shot? Protein? No Protein? This guy was one of largest shot weighing in at 275 and 36" with no protein at least on our ranch. Have had some others shot in the 250's, but besides those most bucks shot are not fully mature and have been around 190-215.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like we have been getting some good rain this week. My rain app shows close to 3" of rain from yesterday through today. My camera sent me a picture this morning that showed my feeder area holding quite a bit of water which I have never seen it do.

Gonna be heading up next weekend to top off protein feeders but prob be to hot to do anything else.

Comment

Yall seeing any elk through there? My buddy says they have a good sized free-range herd of elk out there. Come whitetail archery season the bulls are bugling

Comment

Working...
                                X