Stained concrete problems. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
    Dusty, did you have similar problems? What process did they take to make sure it was fixed?
    No, not similar. They put on the stain, covered the floor and continued building. I wanted to show my parents the color and pulled back some of the covering. No stain - anywhere. So I called the builder and a week or so later the stainer came out. They said they would fix it. They stained it again. It disappeared. They stained it again. It disappeared. Then, they scraped the floor a tiny bit (1-2 cm??), and started over from scratch. That time it took. It is the polished concrete with low shine. (The color looks like worn leather.) I really like it because all I have to do is sweep and mop. No floor sealers or added top coating.

I would think your concrete stainer should be able to address this issue. If you don't mind me asking, is it Exquisite Concrete strainers?

Comment

Do you have the name of who did the stain work?

Comment

I would think that's not much different than ripping up carpet and doing a stained floor from that.

Comment

Is it an acid stain or a dye? This will make a difference on what your options are.

Comment

I have no clue about this but could you use a track blaster and remove a small top layer of concrete and start over?

Comment

It is acid stain.

It was not exquisite stainers. Honestly i dont feel the stainer is reliable for any of this. His final outcome very much depends on the care and planning if the concrete prior to him.

Comment

My brothers house burned several years ago (thanks ford) he had stained floors. When they rebuilt the home they ground off a layer of concrete and stained again. It turned out great. If they can get fire damage out they can get that off to start over

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                  It is acid stain.

It was not exquisite stainers. Honestly i dont feel the stainer is reliable for any of this. His final outcome very much depends on the care and planning if the concrete prior to him.
                  Sorry you are experiencing this. If the concrete wasn't covered after the staining, that is on the builder for not having it done. His subs are only going to take precautions if the he does first. He may not have priced that part into the job and therefore decided not to do it when the time came. As far as the concrete itself, the local companies that supply around BCS don't give two hoots about the finish on the concrete so they make no special accommodations and it's a crap shoot. They will not dye concrete at the plant either as has been done in some markets (not sure if this is still being done).

I hear of more and more builders in the BCS market not dealing with stained concrete anymore due to these kinds of problems. Many attitudes now are if the client wants it they go elsewhere or deal with the contractor directly. Of course the health of the building co. determines which attitude they have concerning stained concrete. I hope your builder is strong enough to weather this storm to your satisfaction.

I'm really not sure what can be done at this point to fix this problem other than floor covering.

Comment

It is acid stain.

Comment

I'm building mine right now. We are staining all our floors. We have them covered with plastic from the spray foam guys. I'm self contracting and have been all over every contractor to protect the floors. So far the only people I had to jump on was the concrete guy. The power troweled the slab real well but still had some areas to point at. I went out the day it was pored and saw bucket rings and all kinds of trowel marks. They came in quick and got it all cleaned up. I still had a few chunks knocked out of the common areas though from framers dropping hammers which I can't do anything about other than call them character marks I guess. You definitely have an argument with your builder though that they are absolutely responsible for. My neighbor had a similar issue with his people putting tape down before the stain was done and it had adhesive strips all over their floors that wouldn't take stain. My only thought I had was what could they have possibly used during your building that would have made those big spots all over your concrete? What acid would have been needed? I would think the stain guy would have prepped the slab and cleaned it pretty well prior to staining. Maybe I'm wrong but that's something that should have helped out atleast to minimize what you have going wrong with yours. It's definitely a job to prep it. Someone for sure didn't get the memo on the stain being done otherwise.

Comment

builder should make it right. If they sand and polish and redo the stain, i bet it looks a ton better.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                          Oh my, that doesn't look good at all. We did stained concrete in our new house a couple years ago. The slab was poured and then slab masked off right away as soon as the house was dried in. Contractor said that any paint spill, chemical, dirt, foot prints etc... would show if they didn't keep the floor covered during construction. Staining was done after the interior painting and it turned out pretty good.

I don't know what your options are. I know it is difficult to go back and "fix" stain problems after the staining has taken place. Conventional flooring may be your only option. Not sure what you can do about getting the contractor to take responsibility and paying for the staining that has already been performed?

this is where your contractor screwed up... its not the subs fault, they are used to going to sites and being messy, its not there job to keep the floor protected. Your builder should have had the slab protected from day 1 with ramboard or the likes

Comment

even sanding wont make a huge difference... those chemicals seep into the porous cement and will not take the stain like the surrounding slab. I know bc I had a similar issue with my floors and although alot less than yours I learned to live with the few imperfections that just wont or cant be fixed no matter what they tried.

id start looking at tile options

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                              this is where your contractor screwed up... its not the subs fault, they are used to going to sites and being messy, its not there job to keep the floor protected. Your builder should have had the slab protected from day 1 with ramboard or the likes
                              I would have to agree with this, Contractor dropped the ball....

Comment

when we had our house built I let the builder know that I would be staining the floors myself. He came in right after the framing went up a layed 4x8 sheets down to protect the floor. He also mentioned that the concrete guy would add a additive to the concrete to help it accept the acid stain better. After I removed the protective cover I swept it many times then washed the concrete with water and brush then used a wet vac tic suck up the water. I let it dry for a couple of days then vacuumed one more time the I applied the acid stain. After it dried I swept off the dry residue and noticed it did not stain as dark as I wanted. I guess the first coat etched the concrete enough that the second coat of stain work perfect. After almost 5 years I am thinking about putting down mesquite flooring over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X