No announcement yet.

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started last August. Group I go with are a bunch of Colorado Billy Goats. Meaning they can run up and down the hills (literally) as I am left in the dust dying.

I trimmed off 30 lbs doing the Juice Plus plan.
    I started carrying a 30 lbs pack back in March and up to 80 lbs. I have different routes I travel from 2-7 miles a day.

Strength, core work outs. I work hard 5 days a week and rest on the weekend.

Finally last stage is to reduce oxygen intake while working out one month before we hit the mountains.

Another fun exercise is to do 50, 75, 100 yard dash and shoot your bow at 50-80 yards.
    Do the same thing carrying your day pack.

Comment

Good thread!! I'm going elk hunting in 2018, and working toward it now. I had gotten down to about 170 when I was running a lot, but I'm back up to 185-190 now and at 6'4'' that's about where I'll stay. I'm a lot stronger now and still have pretty good endurance. I just finished the first week of P90X, and do a lot of walking (wearing my pack) in addition to that. Next summer I'll focus mainly on legs and cardio but still try to keep my weight about where it is. If I can eat that much and still eat clean!!

Comment

Cardio alone just doesn't do it. You must incorporate uphill running/bleachers and weight lifting. I like interval training.....lift for 5 minutes and then sprints for 2 minutes .

Comment

I have lost 35 pounds with Diet Weight Train and Cardio. I weight train 5 days a week and cardio/hiit circuit training 6 days a week. My diet is on point and I try and follow my macro plan to a T.

LWR2

Comment

I need to jump in this too... good ideas above. Wish I could train at higher elevation though!

Comment

Going to Wyoming & Colorado on back to back trips in October.
              My goal is "legs & lungs" conditioning training.
              Been running & using the elliptical from 20-30 mins a session & then pushing weights in high rep sets
              Good luck guys & stay motivated!

Comment

Don't get me wrong legs and lungs are important good to be able to climb but something that gets overlooked is getting your feet used to going downhill with weight. You will be in pain if your feet aren't ready. I've been easing into my workouts. 6'2" and down from 210 to 190 since March. Cut out junk sugars and just cleaned the diet a little bit. Plenty of legs and cardio in there as well. I have no mountain hunt this year but getting a jump start on Aug '18 sheep hunt

Made it out this morning with my boots and pack and hit Guadalupe Peak. Easy money going up but my feet got sore coming down on the last mile so they need to toughen up more still. Good news is my boots only had 3 miles of flatland on them before the hike and I had no blisters or bad pain
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180237.573884.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	24497677

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180254.556639.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24497678

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180310.818103.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	24497679

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180327.259241.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	24497680

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180346.785984.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	24497681
                Last edited by bphillips; 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                  2hrs of stair master every day on level 8 with a 30lb pack and a 15lb dumbbell in each hand with a 3m dust mask on your face.

It works.
                  I'm tired just thinking about that!!!!

Idaho elk hunt in September. Need to get it in gear!

Comment

My first elk hunt in Montana comin up in sept
                    Gonna start with this workout
                    run 1/4 mile with weighted vest
                    50 40 lb kettle bell swings
                    50 burpees (hate those)
                    25 20 lb one arm kettle bell swings
                    3 shots with bow at 50 yards
                    do that four times - each set u get closer by ten yards for bow shots (simulate heart rate when time comes for shot)
                    then go on 2 mile hike with weights in ruck sack (simulate pack in)
                    i'll tweak it as I go
                    also working on strength training to increase draw weight
                    theres a good youtube video on that by Cameron Haynes it actually fixed a shoulder injury I had for two yrs!
                    good luck boys!
                    also got to do some squats get some work on them chicken legs of mine!
                    Last edited by gunboy; 05-30-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

I'm back after it steady again. There's a few of us hitting Cameron park here in Waco with weighted packs on Wednesday's and fridays at lunch if anyone wants to join. We've been pretty consistent as long as everyone can squeeze away for a break from work. Huaco bowmen archery club is close to shoot after the hike if there's time as well. Any and all are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gunboy View Post
                        My first elk hunt in Montana comin up in sept
                        Gonna start with this workout
                        run 1/4 mile with weighted vest
                        50 40 lb kettle bell swings
                        50 burpees (hate those)
                        25 20 lb one arm kettle bell swings
                        3 shots with bow at 50 yards
                        do that four times - each set u get closer by ten yards for bow shots (simulate heart rate when time comes for shot)
                        then go on 2 mile hike with weights in ruck sack (simulate pack in)
                        i'll tweak it as I go
                        also working on strength training to increase draw weight
                        theres a good youtube video on that by Cameron Haynes it actually fixed a shoulder injury I had for two yrs!
                        good luck boys!
                        also got to do some squats get some work on them chicken legs of mine!

Be careful with your knees when running with the weighted vest.

Comment

In addition to running 5 miles 3 days a week I would power walk with 10# weights for 5 miles two days a week. It really strengthened my core and upper body.

Comment

JT I'm about as lean as they come, and I wouldn't bet on me in the mountains.
                            I weigh approx 125# and 5'7" Mostly stay in decent shape throughout the year, but I can tell I do not have the wind I used to. Maybe this thread can keep my rear inspired to get back into a real regiment again. Nothing heavy, (LOL frame prohibited ) but serious push to recover what once was there.

Comment

This in an interesting thread....growing up hunting muleys and elk in the high country, I never understood why getting into "mountain hunter" shape was so important! It doesnt take hiking 10 miles into the wilderness to kill an elk or deer! More importantly, do some homework, study maps, and get some scouting in! I do understand that there are some areas that require a bit more work due to pressure, but it seems some go to the extreme!! I give some serious credit to those who hike in 5+ miles solo, kill an animal, and pack it out....all by themselves!! I just feel like there is an easier way! Good luck to all those who prepare for the worst though! I wish nothing but the best (easiest)!!

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                                This in an interesting thread....growing up hunting muleys and elk in the high country, I never understood why getting into "mountain hunter" shape was so important! It doesnt take hiking 10 miles into the wilderness to kill an elk or deer! More importantly, do some homework, study maps, and get some scouting in! I do understand that there are some areas that require a bit more work due to pressure, but it seems some go to the extreme!! I give some serious credit to those who hike in 5+ miles solo, kill an animal, and pack it out....all by themselves!! I just feel like there is an easier way! Good luck to all those who prepare for the worst though! I wish nothing but the best (easiest)!!
                                If it wasn't for Alaska sheep I probably wouldn't put a lot of effort in to it. MOST elk and deer country isnt too bad. You can make it harder than it has to be pretty easy though

Comment

Working...
                                X