New lease and rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casey View Post
    I am a "lease boss". I pay the same as others, though. After what I have gone through the last couple of weeks dealing with a ranch manager (not owner), I'm sure I could convince many of you that a guy that puts up with that **** for the sake of his entire group should get something out of the deal. What a pain in the backside. I found the lease, deal with the agreement, payment, etc so I get to make the final call on a lot of things. However, the group is cherry picked by me, mostly all know each other well, and I discuss important stuff with all of them. I'm happy to pay and would never expect to get my lease at no cost because I'm in control of it.

We have community blinds but the owner of the blind gets priority, always. No deer are reserved for anyone. If it's in front of you and you're hunting...get after it. I don't want to pay a sizable amount to stare at the same spot for an entire season. Community blinds are nice as long as you can control your group and all are working together. We are bow only.

College aged kids (call it 23 and under, not on their own yet) and spouses are part of the paying spot. However, kids cannot take down another blind and must hunt with a parent. Spouses can split up. Each spot hunts off one license worth of tags.

This has worked pretty well, so far. Our biggest issue has been the new ranch manager. It's been upsetting what we've gone through.
    Just curious on how you and other lease bosses treat wounded animals that aren't recovered? Do they come off the allotment of deer they are allowed? If not, seems like that could become an issue for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
      Just curious on how you and other lease bosses treat wounded animals that aren't recovered? Do they come off the allotment of deer they are allowed? If not, seems like that could become an issue for some people.
      If you don't recover it in a fashion that would require a tag by law, you don't tag. We are bow only, I don't think anyone will ever tag out, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
        If you cut a hair on our place or there is a drop of blood then it's your deer if it's not recovered. You are allowed to continue to hunt that deer if you think he is still alive. This is only for bucks ( we only get 1 trophy ). Does no big deal go shoot another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          If you cut a hair on our place or there is a drop of blood then it's your deer if it's not recovered. You are allowed to continue to hunt that deer if you think he is still alive. This is only for bucks ( we only get 1 trophy ). Does no big deal go shoot another one.
          Yep you wound a trophy and games up for trophies unless you find the same one on ours to shoot again.

We all have our "own" blinds that others don't hunt without permission but we also keep 4 community stands/feeders running for change of scenery if you want it. Works out good always having your setup to yourself but also be able to hunt other stands to change it up.

Comment

Looks like to me the 6 hunters hunting off 2 paid spots then there would only be 10 tags to dole out. If all 8 hunters go out and shoot a deer, then only two tags left. Looks like those guys wouldn't be around too much.

Comment

Man. A bunch of y’all sound like you take all the fun out of having/going to the deer lease. Part of why people charge so much now is having to deal with all of this.

If you want to try, give it a year and get off if you don’t like it. I joined a lease in Encino last year, paid the money without asking too many questions, didn’t end up liking the place/rules, so I got off. No whining about it. Pretty simple process I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                I am a "lease boss". I pay the same as others, though. After what I have gone through the last couple of weeks dealing with a ranch manager (not owner), I'm sure I could convince many of you that a guy that puts up with that **** for the sake of his entire group should get something out of the deal. What a pain in the backside. I found the lease, deal with the agreement, payment, etc so I get to make the final call on a lot of things. However, the group is cherry picked by me, mostly all know each other well, and I discuss important stuff with all of them. I'm happy to pay and would never expect to get my lease at no cost because I'm in control of it.

We have community blinds but the owner of the blind gets priority, always. No deer are reserved for anyone. If it's in front of you and you're hunting...get after it. I don't want to pay a sizable amount to stare at the same spot for an entire season. Community blinds are nice as long as you can control your group and all are working together. We are bow only.

College aged kids (call it 23 and under, not on their own yet) and spouses are part of the paying spot. However, kids cannot take down another blind and must hunt with a parent. Spouses can split up. Each spot hunts off one license worth of tags.

This has worked pretty well, so far. Our biggest issue has been the new ranch manager. It's been upsetting what we've gone through.
                Sounds like you run a pretty good lease. Probably have a pretty good group of guys on the lease. Sorry that you have a not too pleasant ranch manager to deal with. Hopefully it won't ruin your lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  Bryon B - your college aged kids would fall more under a "guest" category to me. It really just depends on how a group (or landowner/ramrod) wants to do it. There is no right or wrong way.
                  You are correct. I could see it that way as well.

Comment

Our basics:
                    A guest is OK, and can be allowed to shoot members management tag (not trophy tag). This rule takes care of immediate family issues - sure bring your 22yo son to kill your management deer.
                    Your trophy tag is your tag. You either pull the trigger or don’t...

I head up the place - pay the same $$$$ as everyone else - usually more.

Collect money ahead of time for the feed bill. I think our guys would rather write one or two checks for the same known amount, than be hit up with an unknown feed assessment.

Community blinds - we set them all up and rancher fills the feeders.

Keep the accounting public! I send around a statement of expenses both times I request the lease fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would hate to have to compete every weekend for your spot. Would feel to stressful for me not knowing where you will be hunting. Especially if you have put the work in on one spot.

Comment

Price sounds cheap. There is a reason for openings on this deer lease. I respect the lease boss for at least telling you he's not paying. But 8 people is not that many people to manage if you have a good lease.

Comment

Run and don’t look back. Lease boss is a con artist.

Comment

This is why I left my lease.. it was just too much drama. A couple of the guys got theirs for free,, ,then the board voted in a members 19 year old son as a board member so he could get his for free.

Comment

That's not my kinda lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X