Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking to buy a .308 for hunting purposes. What do y’all recommend and what experience do y’all have with the .308 you shoot. Also needing a scope so any recommendations on that would be great. Add pictures if you have them.
    Thanks

Rem 700 and a box of 165 Corelokt.

Comment

Have a savage 111 trophy hunter with nikon 3-9×40 bdc on it. Shoots great. Not heavy to carry. Ammo readily available anywhere. Dropped several deer and hogs. All been drt. Can get that set up for 450 to 500 depending on where y get it. Kotter good brands in same caliber. Just like savage myself.

Comment

budget?

Comment

I got my first last year in a DPMS AR platform. Love itt. Threw a deadman TI on the stick and play all day.

Comment

My budget...well I don’t want to cheap out on a set-up but I don’t want to break the bank either. I was looking at a Winchester model 70 featherweight with a Nikon 4-16x42. That set-up will run me around $1300. I’m iffy about the wooden stock in bad weather but I don’t really like the look and feel of a synthetic stock.

Comment

Tikka, have 2 of them and they are both great shooting guns.

Comment

The mod 70 featherweight you mentioned is definitely a worthy rifle but if you're looking for other options and are worried about the "weather" check out the Remington 700 CDL in a stainless barrel.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Remington LTR with a 20" fluted bull barrel in .308 that I absolutely love. It's my main deer hunting rifle and has been since my wife gifted it to me as our wedding present 12 years ago.

It's this:

https://youtu.be/gr0P7Y4WPK4

Comment

I own several model 70s so I’m partial to them. I wouldn’t let wood scare you off, it’s plenty durable. If you’re out in the rain getting it wet, just wipe the water off before you put it in the cabinet. Same way you’d care for a plastic stock. But if that’s a concern you can’t get over, then check out the model 70 extreme weather

Comment

Get any good bolt action rifle for about $450 to $550 or if you want to go AR-10 you can buy one from PSA for $600 to 700.
                      308 WIN may be one of the best all around caliber's for anything that walks in Texas or the mountain west.

Comment

My wife shoots 2 of them (They became her Favorite caliber)

Tikka lite synthetic GREAT GUN
                        Kimber Hunter synthetic and it is Light just bought it a cpl months ago (She loves it)
                        Both can touch holes with Fed Premium or Hornady in 165gr BTSP

Comment

I'm going to say Tikka as well. Synthetic stock.
                          OR....
                          Look into Bergara. Have never shot one, just a thought.

Scope; Lots of choices. I like the BDC reticles so that I don't have to make any dial adjustments anywhere within hunting distance. I especially like a scope with a bdc reticle that also has an app on my phone that compares all sorts of data (zeroed distance, bullet, temp, elevation, etc). I have a Nikon Prostaff BDC on a .223, and a Swaro Z3 on a 6.5 cm, each have an app.

Comment

Deer hunting or pig hunting at night? AR or bolt action?

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                              I have a Remington LTR with a 20" fluted bull barrel in .308 that I absolutely love. It's my main deer hunting rifle and has been since my wife gifted it to me as our wedding present 12 years ago.

It's this:

https://youtu.be/gr0P7Y4WPK4
                              I have the same one I bought used 15 years ago and it still shoots lights out with cheap corlokt ammo. I also shortend mine to a smidge over 16" and threaded for a can.
                              Last edited by Gunnyart; 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X