No announcement yet.

A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some single bevel heads. I keep them shaving sharp. However I prefer three blade heads. That said if I ever go shoot a bison or elk I'll go with the single bevel because you know I'll hit the shoulder.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

In case you didn't notice - That single bevel broadhead isn't long enough to do that.

Rick
      It wasn’t?! My broadheads are all at least 8” long.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
        It wasn’t?! My broadheads are all at least 8” long.
        Awesome !!!, but that's a spear head at 8".

Rick

Comment

OK, I LOLed at this, because - if you can't understand it in the video, then there's no way to make you understand it, "other than" telling you to go try it.

I went out of my way to try to contribute something to the community, and to dispel any wives tales there may be about single bevel broadheads. I didn't have to, but thought it might be informative, and useful for "some".

Slicing a soft & mushy grape without crushing, or tearing it is very difficult without a "very sharp" blade. Introduce a very thick single bevel blade, and the difficulty is greatly amplified, yet this single bevel did the trick.

Is there anything to be misunderstood there?

There have been several guys see these videos who make their living by producing quality & sharp blades. They were impressed, because, well because they understand it.

YMMV.

Rick
          ]

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to switch to a different broadhead.
          I'm only trying to dispel the "myth" some few believe, that you can't get a single bevel broadhead as sharp as a double bevel.

As far as the condescension thing is concerned, I point it back when it's pointed at me, but only after it's pointed at me.
          Character flaw (maybe), but at this stage of my life I doubt I'll change any.
          That one's free also.

David (Dkincaid), I knew what you were saying. No problemo Bro.

Rick

Comment

Rick I for
            One appreciate all the info you put on here and Facebook. I have learned to look at some things differently because of your posts. Keep the info coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look what I got!

I still don't necessarily believe that they are as sharp as a double... I also don't have to to see other things I like about them. I'm taking these (along with some G5s) with me to Chama in September.

Comment

Single bevels are more acute and therefore sharper by default.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01773C42-5069-4CC1-A682-14E1ED0DBFF8.gif
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	24542533

Comment

A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  Single bevels are more acute and therefore sharper by default.

[ATTACH]911122[/ATTACH]

Hogwash! I have seen a lot of single bevels that were not nearly as sharp as my double bevels! It’s all in how good the guy doing the sharpening is!!!!!

And my German Kinetic double bevel heads are at 19* . I would be willing to bet there are not any single bevels that are steeper than that!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Hogwash! I have seen a lot of single bevels that were not nearly as sharp as my double bevels! It’s all in how good the guy doing the sharpening is!!!!!

And my German Kinetic double bevel heads are at 19* . I would be willing to bet there are not any single bevels that are steeper than that!

Bisch

Actually, you'd have two 19* angles coming together. A single bevel cut to the same criteria would have one 19* angle and one 0* angle. You can call "hogwash" all you want, but geometry is geometry.

Comment

Much to do about nothing much imo. In other words, fluff. Nice to have discussions about but I doubt any more animals succumb to single bevel than double.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a nice 3" cut on my leg from a 2 blade double bevel head.
                        It was sharpened to a razor edge then given 1 pass on each side with a rough stone.
                        I didn't even feel the cut!
                        The head hardly touched me and it sliced through my pants, under armour and me with ease.
                        Pretty hard to beat a double bevel
                        Last edited by cbd10pt; 06-09-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Rick, I appreciate the video. Thanks for posting that.

I will say that you can get both, the single and double bevel heads very sharp. Personally, I shoot some 3 blade and 2 blades. Of the 2 blade heads that I shoot, they are single bevel. I started with the grizzlies (that many people have taken many animals with) and have moved on to "thicker" single bevel heads such as the RMS gear Cutthroughts (not the same design of what you have but still thicker material like what you are showing). I personally love the thick single bevel heads as they do tend to have great penetration/rotation and do show to have the bone splitting action for when things do not go as planned. (This is usually my fault and why the single bevel is my #1 choice.)

In the end, I think it comes down to what you can get sharp. If you can't or do not care to sharpen a single bevel but get a double bevel sharp as a razor, that is your ticket! I can get a 3 blade razor sharp in no time at all. I spend a bit more time on a single bevel as I am not as efficient as others. That is why I shoot both. If I need to, I will sharpen the 3 blade quick in the field if it has been dug out of an animal or dirt and the single bevel at home when i have more time.

I love these threads as people always toss in their 2 cents (or more) but there is always a new side or thought or point of view that I had not considered before.

Comment

Thanks for the video, Rick. I may just try them now if I can get them that sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Actually, you'd have two 19* angles coming together. A single bevel cut to the same criteria would have one 19* angle and one 0* angle. You can call "hogwash" all you want, but geometry is geometry.

That is correct about the 2 angles coming together, but each angle is still what it is.

The hogwash comment was about a single bevels being intrinsically sharper than a double bevel. Any of them are only as sharp as the the guy sharpening can get them. Any of them can be razor sharp so as dull as a butter knife.

Bisch

Comment

I shot single bevel for a period, cutt throat, helix, grizzly, kudos and a few others ( thought they were the shizzle) . And found I had far better penetration on animals with double bevel heads. Tried shooting them threw bones on several occasions ( usually a bet by some one, saying they could do as well with there double bevel) and made some money, just because a lot of the double bevels would brake Before they would brake the bone, fully. And found single bevels did not brake bone any better, then a double bevel that would stay together. The strength of the single bevel is what helps it the most. But we shot the cutt throat and the double bevel VPA thru various bones and they both got through about half of the bones we shot them at. But I pretty much have proven to my self, double bevels seem to penetrate animals better, offering two holes, with the arrow fully exiting the animal. We shot several pigs and the German kenetics I was shooting, would get pass through about every time. The cutt throat, helix would hang up on the fletching at the entrance hole more often then not. Same bow, same arrows, same weight heads. It's not very often I encounter heavy bone unless it's on purpose. ( trying to prove my broad head can). And can also say the kenitcs stayed sharper after pass through then the double bevels. Just my two cents.
                                Last edited by critter69; 06-11-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X