No announcement yet.

Never killed a big deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1-Have to be hunting where big deer exist. If your hunting where big deer live and can never kill one....you need to rethink what your doing.

Comment

This will be my 35th hunting season. Biggest to date is a 133" 10pt I got with my bow in 2012 in San Saba.

Comment

When I first started up hunting in the 90s, I was on a lease in Jim Hogg county. Saw some big deer and passed on some that were probably 150ish. I didn't want to get kicked off the place for shooting immature deer cuz I was too green. I can't afford the place now and just hunt public mostly for meat.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I have killed mature deer, big deer and big mature deer...just their head gear is lacking, so to speak.
          Sounds like mine. I'm finally on a lease that can can get some trophy racks. Been watching a three grow up for the last 3 years and giving them all the protein they want. Hope one comes this year! Last year at 4 1/2 they were hard to hold back on but luckily the ones that need culling came out first. By the time I saw the them all I had left we're doe tags.

Comment

Mature bucks under hunting pressure are an entirely different animal. They have had a few years to learn the game, and know how to be practically invisible to hunters using common tactics. Rarely will they visit feeders, especially in daylight hours, and usually when they do it's to check for does downwind. The best feeders to hunt are the ones Mother Nature provides...oaks dropping acorns. They have to eat, so put in long hours on the stand where they feed. You can also improve your odds by learning to read the tracks of certain bucks, and focusing your time hunting scrapes with those tracks. If you are hunting just morning and evening they learn your pattern quickly. Try hunting the middle of the day and you will be surprised by the deer you see. Don't get into a routine of hunting the same stand all the time...switch to different areas depending on wind and deer movement. Don't limit your stand locations to permanent ones...sometimes just a chair or stool in the brush will put you in the right position for a shot. Be as scent free as possible...wear knee high rubber boots and don't brush up against vegetation. Your best chance at a mature buck is the first time you hunt a stand...after that the odds go down as he catches on to your game plan. Scout for them during the off season so you will know their travel corridors when it's time to hunt. A mature pressured deer with a bow is one of the sports greatest challenges, but when you are successful you can truly be proud of your accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
              Just under 300. To the West is is DD Whitetails and Outfitters massive high fenced operation. And east is town. If anything is moving north or south they pretty much have to cross our place. No wheat. we have cotton on the west pasture and hay on the east. Mesquite through the strip in the middle and almost always water.
              Where do you enter the property and also do y'all camp on this property?

Comment

Working...
              X