Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why we can’t have nice things at our lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    And then there are others who shake their head at the thought of a bunch of “sportsman” who boil down the thought of the reintroduction of a native mammal to their own selfish concerns revolving usually around deer feeders. Yeah, it might cause you some pain and the need to reconfigure, but stop and think how cool it would be to see a bear in your deer woods? And before someone suggests personal safety concerns, I will suggest researching that concern and you will find you have far greater odds of being killed by a drunk driver on the way to your lease versus being attacked by a 200 lb Louisiana Honey Bear. And then there is that future possibility of getting to hunt them, right here in Texas....
    Hold my beer Anvilhead. I would like NOTHING more than to see all high fences torn down and all species that still exist in some form to be reintroduced into the wild. Fan away haters! Im an outdoorsman and a conservationist before I am a hunter. They are obviously not mutually exclusive. How incredibly amazing would it be to see all of these animals again when hiking, hunting or fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
      What if you don't put corn in feeders till hibernation periods?

Lol with our weather? They only semi hibernate anyway. Best is don’t put our feed.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        Hold my beer Anvilhead. I would like NOTHING more than to see all high fences torn down and all species that still exist in some form to be reintroduced into the wild. Fan away haters! Im an outdoorsman and a conservationist before I am a hunter. They are obviously not mutually exclusive. How incredibly amazing would it be to see all of these animals again when hiking, hunting or fishing?

https://quizlet.com/41116299/triple-...s-flash-cards/
        They cannot be compatible. Look at how the reintroduction of wolves have devastated elk and mule deer populations. That may have worked when we had a 100 million total population but with as many hunters as we have now the prey species need to be managed for us or hunting will get significantly reduced. Look at the way just land to hunt in all the states has gone. Public hunting in states like Colorado is a shadow of how good it was just twenty years ago.
        I'm a realist and I know severely limiting predators is needed to keep a healthy game population.
        I also know bears, when they get comfortable around humans, will destroy you house to get to food as well.
        Bears are like giant raccoons. Destructive and always hungry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post

https://quizlet.com/41116299/triple-...s-flash-cards/
          I am actually surprised at your stance. However, it appears that we stand in the minority on the bear issue (let’s leave high fences out of this thread). Folks who came into East Texas post civil war raped it for all it was worth... timber, bears, Turkey, Alligators and of course the almighty whitetail deer. It took until the 1970s for the deer to start to make a come back, and yet we are happy with that?

Man, I deer hunt, but it’s not like I condem all other living creatures because they may or may not interfere with my deer hunting (or to many their deer feeding hobby). For all you East Texas hunters who cry about your deer feeder, shame on you.... you know to well that harvesting a good buck under a feeder in East Texas is anomaly (that means rare occasion).

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            They cannot be compatible. Look at how the reintroduction of wolves have devastated elk and mule deer populations. That may have worked when we had a 100 million total population but with as many hunters as we have now the prey species need to be managed for us or hunting will get significantly reduced. Look at the way just land to hunt in all the states has gone. Public hunting in states like Colorado is a shadow of how good it was just twenty years ago.
            I'm a realist and I know severely limiting predators is needed to keep a healthy game population.
            I also know bears, when they get comfortable around humans, will destroy you house to get to food as well.
            Bears are like giant raccoons. Destructive and always hungry.

Bear expert.... please post on here an article or news source that details out a black bear destroying a house.

Comment

Bear expert.... please post on here an article or news source that details out a black bear destroying a house.
              Here you go... complete with video... 30K in damages...

Over 30000.00 Dollars worth of damage was done to our cabin by black bears.Here is a video with some of the damage that took place.

Comment

If you care to do a google search for Bear Destroys..., you get at least 10 pages, even if you narrow the search to videos only...

So yea, nature boy you go ahead and wish for a huntable population of bears in Texas...

Comment

Police and wildlife officials responded to a Connecticut home where a bear had made its way into the kitchen and raided the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    If you care to do a google search for Bear Destroys..., you get at least 10 pages, even if you narrow the search to videos only...

So yea, nature boy you go ahead and wish for a huntable population of bears in Texas...
                    That’s what they get for leaving honey in their trailer. Lol. Just as soon as I hit send I knew you would come through with a reply. This nature boy will keep wishing and maybe one day someone who does want to hunt a bear in Texas will have a chance.

Comment

Growing up with them up in the Adirondacks I've had plenty of experience with them tearing down pig pens, raiding smoke shacks and trapping cabins. But it was really wilderness there. They get comfortable around people quick. That's why they are easy to kill over bait. They can see and smell you. They just don't care you're there.

Comment

Yea, well I hope you never get your wish... You see that map someone posted of Texas with bear sightings/breeding counties, well one of the red counties is Val Verde county... I've got "experience" there with 'em and believe me, you don't have a clue what you're wishin' for. Feeders, as you so sarcastically referred to are just a tiny, tiny part of what those suckers will destroy. So you go on ahead and wish... wish in one hand and take a dump in the other and see which one fills up the quickest...

Comment

^ okay Slick, I don’t have a clue and since your Val Verde datapoint “experience” apparently has derailed what otherwise is a wonderful life, no bears for Texas.

Is there anything else on your list of destructive creatures we should set our sights on?

Comment

This guy gets it (or some of it at least). If you live in fear of a black bear attack it might be time to pick-up something like golf or softball and stay out of the woods. Some of you guys followed my AT hike, I ran across bears in every state except Maine. And typically only saw their behinds. Sure they can be destructive, but the reality is the fear factor is just that.
                            No one yet has insinuated they are scared of them, that I have seen. I wouldn't mind being able so see a bear from time to time, and I can build a feeder they can't break. What would **** me off is not being able to leave food in the camper, or a trash can outside without them tearing it up.

Comment

That's why you bear proof things in the back country. Hang food in bags from bear lines etc. They are nice to see now and then but Disney has skewed people's impression of them.

Comment

They’re really not a big deal. There are quite a few around here, and not only do I rarely SEE them, I’ve heard next to nothing about them really messing anything up.

Yea, they might knock your corn feeder over (if you use one). Yea, they might get into something if you leave food out in the open air (who does that!?). Best I can tell, their impact on deer is next to nothing. They’re a natural part of the ecosystem in many areas and that should be important to any true outdoorsman.

That being said, I wouldn’t worry too much about them ever running rampant in East Texas again. Too many people and I don’t think they’d eat very good on skinny pine trees and well pads.

Comment

Working...
                                X