No announcement yet.

Kids and access to firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i grew up walking around the ranch shooting grass hoppers with my red ryder. have owned many guns. I have a son and my guns are not kept in a safe. they are behind every door in every room. That being said their not all loaded. The loaded ones are out of reach. Accidents happen and my son wont be a statistic.

Comment

I have never locked my guns away. Each weapon is loaded and ready to charge a round in the chamber and go to work. My pistols all loaded with a round in the chamber. My kids have always been around weapons and each is fairly good with both pistols and rifles. May npt rub some of y'all the right way, but it's been fine in my house for many years this way
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
        People more desire the things they do not or can not have.

Why hide and lock up the guns and ammo instead of teaching your children how to be responsible with them? You were allowed them but I'm pretty sure you were taught how to handle them properly, and the destructive power they contain. Why deny your children the same opportunity?

Kids haven't changed, what they are taught in terms of responsibility has.
        Tried to stay away from all these posts but I could not agree more with this statement. My two boys love being outside. That being said they both have old iphones they can play on when on long trips. They asked me the other day if they could get facebook. Phones were immediately taken away and haven't given them back yet. We watched the news together the other morning and my youngest looked at me with the most sincere face and asked me " Why do people think guns kill people?" I was at a loss for words. He is 8 BTW

Comment

Get rid of the curiosity.
          This is the right plan. I let my toddler kids, tiny little 3 year old kids, handle my guns when they were not stored safely away. By the time they were 7, 8, I'd ask if they wanted to see them and they'd say no. The curiosity was gone. They knew what they were, they had used many of them or watched me use them, and were no longer fascinated by them.

I couldn't grind the grins off their faces when they were little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675 800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	24530704

Comment

I think each kid is different.. My son is 18 and was raised with them and he has been hunting and fishing with me since he was in diapers. BUT.. even at 18 I have to keep them under lock and key, because he will drag them out, take them out without asking, take mine out, load them and forget they are loaded, drive around with them in his car, get a bb pistol and drive around acting like an idiot showing it off, etc.

I've been burned too many times with my son, and they will never be out or unlocked due to his impulsiveness. Literally the last straw was just in October he found the key I had hidden and took out my AR and shot up all of of my expensive hunting ammo for it.. I told him.. the next step I take is I will sell his shotgun and both of his rifles.. and he will never have firearm while he lives in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              This is the right plan. I let my toddler kids, tiny little 3 year old kids, handle my guns when they were not stored safely away. By the time they were 7, 8, I'd ask if they wanted to see them and they'd say no. The curiosity was gone. They knew what they were, they had used many of them or watched me use them, and were no longer fascinated by them.

I couldn't grind the grins off their faces when they were little.

[ATTACH]897156[/ATTACH]
              my dad was a LEO so was I and so are my two brother this is the way my dad introduced us to guns, then showed us the safe operation/handling loading and unloading of revolvers and semi-autos. the most important lesson we learned was the destructive power of even a .22 ,curiosity is what gets kids hurt and the violent movies where guys get shot then gets back up with a wound dressing on and back at work in a sling...

Comment

Oh yeah my kids are for sure going to be exposed to firearms in a positive way and early. My dad taught me to reload when I was about 8. He bought gun powder by the 20 pound keg. Could you imagine what some kids would do with that? Like others have said once they start bringing friends over is hard to maintain security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My family hunted from the time I can remember. Like mentioned above, I'm from a lil rural town where we'd have gun racks in our trucks in the school parking lots with guns in them. My son started hunting this year, and my girl will in a few years. I have enough weapons and ammo in my home to fight off a zombie ISIS invasion. Having said that, all my guns are locked up and only my wife and I know how to get in. My son may never know how to get to my guns. He'll have his own some day, he has the hunting addiction for sure.

Comment

I grew up being able to access guns and ammo anytime I wanted. I have three daughters 11, 7 and 3. The older two have been taught gun safety laws and I take them on shooting sessions. All my guns are locked up. I have a shotgun in a shotlock and a pistol in a button access locker. Everything else is in a safe. None are accessible. I'm not always home. I don't know who maybe having a play date or sleep over and I don't want half the adults I know to pick up one of my firearms.

Comment

Same as others have said, I was born and raised around them.

That being said, I never had access to the safe until I was 16. By that age, my dad was comfortable with me going out to the gun range with friends and their parents or us going hunting before/after school and probably mainly he was tired of having to go get my guns for me when I wanted to go hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        People more desire the things they do not or can not have.

Why hide and lock up the guns and ammo instead of teaching your children how to be responsible with them? You were allowed them but I'm pretty sure you were taught how to handle them properly, and the destructive power they contain. Why deny your children the same opportunity?

Kids haven't changed, what they are taught in terms of responsibility has.
                        We can teach our kids the same way we were taught, but to assume another kid that comes into your house is responsible with them is just being ignorant. We were taught the right way to handle them, to respect guns and that they can harm you the minute you don’t respect them. We were taught that. Never assume someone else has . If you have kids and they have friends come over you should lock them away in a safe.

Comment

I raised mine like I was raised. Guns were never locked up. They were treated like any other tool. My kids knew what they were and what they were for.

-john

Comment

Teach them but still keep them locked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First recorded murder was with a rock
                              Cain killed Able

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                                First recorded murder was with a rock
                                Cain killed Able
                                Look up Sima de los Huesos. Scientist found what they believe is the first (perhaps oldest is a better term) know murder victim. Approx 430,000 years ago. Probably with a rock also.

On a more serious note. I plan to raise my daughter like I was raised with regards to fire arms. We do have a couple in the house that are loaded as a precaution against break ins but the rest are locked in the safe. I too was brought up with a shotgun and rifle in the gun rack of my truck at high school as we usually went hunting after. Different times though......

Richard.

Comment

Working...
                                X