Backpacking tent??? Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at putting gear together for a backcountry hunt next year in colorado. Been saying for 5 years that I’m gonna go and the older I get the more I realize that climbing dem der mountains ain’t gonna get easier.

I have the opportunity to buy an Alps mountaineering Lynx 1 tent. It’s about 3.8 pound and is $120 new. This one was never used and I can get it for $40.

I’m not versed on tents but what say you for backpacking in September?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong for $40, although it's not that light for the small sq. footage. Look at a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter.

Comment

Three times the weight of mine but also five times less. You can always shave weight somewhere else but imo shelter is usually one of the top priorities. There are also some hardcore backcountry guys here that have tons of experience, maybe one of them will chime in and steer you in the right path. Personally I would buy it for 40 bucks just to have it. I take several fishing trips a yr where i stay in my one man because its so easy.

Comment

mine is a cabelas brand and it believe it weights about that much and i have hiked many many miles out west. Sure a tad lighter would be better but 3.8 is really not to bad.
        for the money your talking about you should not pass it up

Comment

If you've never gone on a back country hunt, don't let not having the best equipment get in the way. If that is what you can afford, drop the hammer and go. Most guys upgrade equipment as they go along the way. When you are back at home, retelling stories of how you packed your elk off the mountain, nobody is gonna give you hell for having a tent that weighs 4#.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
            If you've never gone on a back country hunt, don't let not having the best equipment get in the way. If that is what you can afford, drop the hammer and go. Most guys upgrade equipment as they go along the way. When you are back at home, retelling stories of how you packed your elk off the mountain, nobody is gonna give you hell for having a tent that weighs 4#.
            I would agree with this, I’ve been up there and weight is weight.fill your pack and limp with it to get in the shape you need to be. Try it and up grade later if you need. Waterproof is definitely the way you need to go, we got rained on for a few days and glad the tent with stood the down pours.

Comment

Start hiking or rucking with a pack heavier than what you intend to carry. That should make it easier. Also remember the air is thinner there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Depending on when you go you can go with a hammock, bivy, etc. Take a couple tarps and a sleeping bag. One for the floor and one to keep elements off you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a good tent. Buddy and I hunted in one similar, but 2 person and 2 vestibules last year. 80 degrees first two days and turned to 3" snow on tent. Rainfly vestibules were awesome to store boots and other small gear out of snow and not in tent. Weight was about 1lb more than that one, but for 2 people. Id almost recommend that so you have extra room to keep gear inside.

1lb honestly wasnt that big of a deal. We hiked in 3.5 miles and camped. If you get an animal your looking at way more weight. More comfortable you are, more time you will spend actually hunting.

Comment

I agree with the posts that say to get what you can afford and then just go. However, if you have time to search a little, I would recommend getting a 2 person tent with a vestibule that is 3.8 lbs or lighter. It is nice to have a little extra space inside your tent to move around and store a few things.

Comment

Ok, so I’m really debating it. Lord knows I’d love the Big Agnes platinum hv 1 coming in at 1 lbs 7 oz with a vestibule. $499 and it could be yours!

No need for me really on a two man tent honestly. A vestibule is plenty for a pack and bow.

And I’m not sure I’d enjoy sleeping in a bivy (coffin). Too claustrophobic! And I really don’t think I’d be happy with a simple tarp and mat on the ground for 7 days.

Comment

For $40 you might as well get it... It might not be exactly what you need for mountain hunting but you can probably get some good use out of it. I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have been wanting to go to Colorado to hunt but stuff just seems to get in the way. This year was going to be the year until Harvey came along and I volunteered to go out there. This year I plan to hunt public land as I always do but I am going to camp out a few times. I will be trying to dial in my camping gear to some extent. As was already mentioned, start rucking now so you can see how the weight feels.

Comment

Buy it!

Comment

For that weight you can rock a Kifaru tut with 3x the floor room and 2x the height.

Price wise that's a really good deal IF you can handle the highly limited space. In the end tags trump gear
                            Last edited by Texans42; 10-16-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              For that weight you can rock a Kifaru tut with 3x the floor room and 2x the height.

Price wise that's a really good deal IF you can handle the highly limited space

I’m m sleeping in it. Not doing jumping jacks. Lol.

Last edited by DapperDan; 10-16-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X