No announcement yet.

Beer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was given an 8 pack of Guinness 8 pack sampler and so far its good stuff. Haven't tried the cream ale yet but everything else is good stuff.

Comment

Just tried me a New Belgium Abbey Ale. It was good stuff. Not to mention I also got a bomber of the Goose Island Matilda. What a treat...

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
        [ATTACH]676492[/ATTACH]
        The celebration ale is stellar.

One thing to pay attention to when purchasing IPAs is the date on the bottle. You really don't wan an IPA over 60 days old.

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post

One thing to pay attention to when purchasing IPAs is the date on the bottle. You really don't wan an IPA over 60 days old.

Did not know that about the 60 day thing. Good info.

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post

Other than not wanting beer over 60 days old period, what specifically about makes an IPA less desireable after 60 days?

Hops is a natural preservative and the higher hop amounts in an IPA should preserve it longer than ales with less hops.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              Other than not wanting beer over 60 days old period, what specifically about makes an IPA less desireable after 60 days?

Hops is a natural preservative and the higher hop amounts in an IPA should preserve it longer than ales with less hops.
              The hop profile fades quickly in a lot if IPA'S. Example, fresh Firestone Walker Double Jack, <4 wks old, is a citrus bomb. The older it gets the more mute to nonexistent the citrus flavors become. Beers you can age are barleywines, some stouts, lambics, sours and barrel aged beers. The only DIPA worth aging is DFH 120 minute. I also forgot to add Trappists ales age very well. One of the best beers I've ever had was an 8 year old Westvleteren yellow cap.
              Last edited by icetrauma; 12-08-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                The hop profile fades quickly in a lot if IPA'S. Example, fresh Firestone Walker Double Jack, <4 wks old, is a citrus bomb. The older it gets the more mute to nonexistent the citrus flavors become. Beers you can age are barleywines, some stouts, lambics, sours and barrel aged beers. The only DIPA worth aging is DFH 120 minute. I also forgot to add Trappists ales age very well. One of the best beers I've ever had was an 8 year old Westvleteren yellow cap.
                All beers will mellow with age, though 60 days isn't a ton of age. The style shouldn't matter much, but beers that are naturally fermented in the bottle, and/or high gravity will take to aging better.

Comment

Bayern Brewing Co. Missoula,Montana

Comment

All beers will mellow with age, though 60 days isn't a ton of age. The style shouldn't matter much, but beers that are naturally fermented in the bottle, and/or high gravity will take to aging better.
                    60 is not a lot of time but the flavors provided by hops fade at a faster rate then lower hopped beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
                      I'm usually a miller lite guy, this stuff ain't bad at all.

What's your favorite micro brew?
                      Lobo Negro was pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by natvet View Post
                        512's Pecan Porter is my favorite.
                        This ^^^^ One of my favorite as well!! Real Ale Coffee Porter is also really good.

Comment

Preservation isn't the point, it's the intended hop profile. IPAs are simply meant to drink fresh. I have aged a DIPA before, and it tasted more like a barley wine after a year. It was a DFH 90 minute, FYI.

Comment

Actually, the hop profiles of IPA were originally intended for preservation.

If you want that citrus flavor from the later hop adds to come back you can wait (it will reassert itself later in the life of the ale) or drink it warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by D-rex28 View Post
                              Saint Arnolds anything
                              period.
                              For sure. Lawnmower, pale ale, Elissa. I like the Christmas Brew. Octoberfest is awesome.

Comment

Actually, the hop profiles of IPA were originally intended for preservation.

If you want that citrus flavor from the later hop adds to come back you can wait (it will reassert itself later in the life of the ale) or drink it warmer.

Yes they were intended to preserve through shipping but the American affinity for hops is different from the original intent of the English version.
                                Last edited by icetrauma; 12-08-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X