Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mathews 2013 bows are out on their site!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like the Creed and the Chill are both crosses between a Monster and a HeliM. The Creed is closer to a HeliM, and the Chill is closer to a Monster.

Comment

I'm a Mathews guy, I'm not really impressed with the new bows. Not sure I understand the value proposition.
      I'm happy to keep shooting my M7.

Comment

I think that Creed will more than likely be a heck of a bow. I'm curious to try it out and see what the draw cycle is like. I bet its smooth like butter since they kind of lost some speed. I really like the waffle design on the mathews bows. Looks mean.

Comment

Like a lot of folks on here, I've been considering getting a new Mathews - by selling off my old SwitchbackXT and possibly my Reezen. I shoot my DXT almost exclusively and was hoping for, basically, some hugely upgraded DXT. On the face of the specs, I was let down. BUT... I felt the same about the HeliM until I shot it last month at a friend's shop. Looking at the numbers I couldn't see the improvement in the draw cycle and the 'hard wall" at the back of the draw - it was a significant improvement (to the DXT) that had to be EXPERIENCED. I almost pulled the trigger that day but I had to get back to the ranch and didn't have time; plus, I knew the new line was coming out and decided to wait and see what they came up with.

I'm going to make the 3 hour drive to shoot the Creed and the HeliM tomorrow - to see what I think and how they shoot FOR ME.

I know this concept is lost of the "speed freaks" that require a bigger and bigger "fix" every year, but speed isn't everything. I've got a bunch of buddies in Utah and Idaho that are consistently killing mule deer at 100+ yards with DXTs. It's really about the total package and how it suits your shooting style - not just one feature, like speed. A pass-through is a pass-through is a pass-through. Whether I blow through a deer at 285fps or at 340fps, if I hit the right spot the deer is going down. The only REAL advantage (that I can see) to speed is that the faster the bow, the more you can be 'off' in your estimation of the distance to an animal. I own a rangefinder.

The feature that most interests me is the stop on the cam of the HeliM and the Creed which makes them easier to shoot accurately - especially in a hunting situation. If you shoot a DXT you know you can pull back and make that string creep. If you do, you will not hit the same spot; and it's sure easy to do on a cold morning after 3 hours in a tree with layers and a heavy jacket on.

From what I hear, the Creed is even smoother to draw than the HeliM. That, by itself isn't a 'deal-maker' but added to the draw stop, it definitely makes me want to shoot it.

I wish they could mask a bow so that I could shoot several unknown bows and make the choice based entirely on feel and performance, without ANY preconceptions that we ALL carry into the bow shop, based on our research and what we've heard.

I think that technology is, basically, maxed-out and that expecting something that's "revolutionary" is unrealistic - until some new materials are invented/utilized. I look at it like rifles - the improvements in the actual rifle building technology are very small, if any. The real improvements are coming from the ammunitions manufacturers and, to a lesser degree, the scope companies. We have a tendency, IMO, to look to the bow companies for all these massive improvements but I don't hear much about any "revolutionary" improvements from the arrow or broadhead manufacturers - they simply re-tweak what we've been shooting for years. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
            Like a lot of folks on here, I've been considering getting a new Mathews - by selling off my old SwitchbackXT and possibly my Reezen. I shoot my DXT almost exclusively and was hoping for, basically, some hugely upgraded DXT. On the face of the specs, I was let down. BUT... I felt the same about the HeliM until I shot it last month at a friend's shop. Looking at the numbers I couldn't see the improvement in the draw cycle and the 'hard wall" at the back of the draw - it was a significant improvement (to the DXT) that had to be EXPERIENCED. I almost pulled the trigger that day but I had to get back to the ranch and didn't have time; plus, I knew the new line was coming out and decided to wait and see what they came up with.

I'm going to make the 3 hour drive to shoot the Creed and the HeliM tomorrow - to see what I think and how they shoot FOR ME.

I know this concept is lost of the "speed freaks" that require a bigger and bigger "fix" every year, but speed isn't everything. I've got a bunch of buddies in Utah and Idaho that are consistently killing mule deer at 100+ yards with DXTs. It's really about the total package and how it suits your shooting style - not just one feature, like speed. A pass-through is a pass-through is a pass-through. Whether I blow through a deer at 285fps or at 340fps, if I hit the right spot the deer is going down. The only REAL advantage (that I can see) to speed is that the faster the bow, the more you can be 'off' in your estimation of the distance to an animal. I own a rangefinder.

The feature that most interests me is the stop on the cam of the HeliM and the Creed which makes them easier to shoot accurately - especially in a hunting situation. If you shoot a DXT you know you can pull back and make that string creep. If you do, you will not hit the same spot; and it's sure easy to do on a cold morning after 3 hours in a tree with layers and a heavy jacket on.

From what I hear, the Creed is even smoother to draw than the HeliM. That, by itself isn't a 'deal-maker' but added to the draw stop, it definitely makes me want to shoot it.

I wish they could mask a bow so that I could shoot several unknown bows and make the choice based entirely on feel and performance, without ANY preconceptions that we ALL carry into the bow shop, based on our research and what we've heard.

I think that technology is, basically, maxed-out and that expecting something that's "revolutionary" is unrealistic - until some new materials are invented/utilized. I look at it like rifles - the improvements in the actual rifle building technology are very small, if any. The real improvements are coming from the ammunitions manufacturers and, to a lesser degree, the scope companies. We have a tendency, IMO, to look to the bow companies for all these massive improvements but I don't hear much about any "revolutionary" improvements from the arrow or broadhead manufacturers - they simply re-tweak what we've been shooting for years. Just sayin.
            Very well put!! I couldn't agree more

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Kade View Post
              About 5ish. I'm curious like everyone else
              Maybe we'll see each other down there. I plan on shooting my z7x next to all three (if they get all 3 in) and comparing all of them to it for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                I'm pretty sure that P&Y rule of 30"refers to the distance between the end of the 2 cams or the cam/idler, NOT ATA. I wouldn't think Mathews would distribute a bow that would violate P&Y criteria.
                P&Y I'm pretty sure requires let off to be 65% or lower.. And on the creed and I'm sure some of the other ones they don't even offer it if you look at the specs.. I may be wrong about the 65 and under but don't think so..

Comment

Speed is fine but accuracy is final.. Not really all caught up in the super sonic speeds, I have killed deer and other with a 180 fps recurve and a 150 fps long bow. They all died just as well as the 335 fps crossbow i shoot , and the 285 fps PSE bow I shoot, and all were just as dead as the deer I have shot with all the mathews bows I have owned and still own.

Get a bow that you want and like, use a good heavy arrow and broad head and put it behind the shoulder. The heavy arrow will push the broad head completely through the animal and it will then be nothing but work.. Speed does not matter its penetration. and broad head performance. Now if you can push a 700 grain arrow at 350 fps you are talking about a real killer bow.. And if anyone can make the bow that will do this I want to invest please..

Comment

I shot the Chill and the Creed both last night. I did not chrono either. I dont know about forgiveness I was shooting at 7 yards with no sights. They both were quiet. Both felt good in my hand. IMO the Creed was a little smoother draw. But there was something about the Chill I liked better the look in black with blue and those massive cams. I think it is the same cams on the 2013 Mission Ballistic. He had the ZXT but I did not shoot it. I curently shoot a Z7X and I believe its the same bow with lighter roller arm. All 3 very nice quality bows. Great Job Mathews.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtremeHunter80 View Post
                      Maybe we'll see each other down there. I plan on shooting my z7x next to all three (if they get all 3 in) and comparing all of them to it for awhile.
                      Ok what are you driving? I'll be in a black Nissan Frontier. Let's put em through the chrono there.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                        P&Y I'm pretty sure requires let off to be 65% or lower.. And on the creed and I'm sure some of the other ones they don't even offer it if you look at the specs.. I may be wrong about the 65 and under but don't think so..
                        I think they put an asterisk next to your name if the let off is greater than 65%.
                        its pretty hard to get a new bow these days that doesn't have 75 +% let off

Comment

Just got back from shooting both the Creed, and the Chill . This is my report...

Creed... 28-70 w apex sight 450 grain FMJ hunting shafts ..chrono'd at 306

The bow was indeed beyond super smooth to draw , no problem slowly drawing to anchor without moving the sight from the target ... 1 1/2 group at 20 , with someone else's sight dialed in. Pritty quiet , balls on accurate and fast ! The bow looks much better in person . Very good looks in fact !

Monster Chill
                          same arrows chrono'd 310 The bow itself is good looking and smaller than the original monstor. The cams are huge ...i mean HUGE ! it was not nearly as smooth as the creed , and a little more awkward to keep at full draw than the heli and the creed. The chill shoots very nice all and all but for hunting i am def. gonna go with the creed over both the heli and chill. I really did notice a difference in drawing the Creed over my current DXT ! I think the Chill is an excellent little grind blind bow , which will be devasting to Longbeard Toms this coming spring. All and all i give them both a big thumbs up and 2 thumbs up on the Creed ! The split limbs are a bonus feature in my opionion just because of the look it portrays. Nice job Matthews
                          Last edited by RACK; 11-06-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RACK MASTER View Post
                            Creed... 28-70 w apex sight 450 grain FMJ hunting shafts ..chrono'd at 306
                            Maybe as someone else has said Mathews built these bows to hold closer to their IBO than previous years. Second time I have heard numbers around these with heavier arrows and shorter draw's.

Comment

the creed and chill are $999 TYD on archerytalk

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
                                Maybe as someone else has said Mathews built these bows to hold closer to their IBO than previous years. Second time I have heard numbers around these with heavier arrows and shorter draw's.
                                Maybe so.. I wasn't consdidering them after seeing the specs but if they keep shooting 350+ with a 7"BH I may have to run up and shoot them.
                                Last edited by bphillips; 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X