Climbing sticks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing sticks?

Do you like the individual sticks or the ladder style? Are the high dollar ones like Lone Wolf or Muddy Aerolites worth it or are the cheaper ones all you need? I'm not worried about weight or portability. I plan to put them up and leave them up.

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
    Do you like the individual sticks or the ladder style? Are the high dollar ones like Lone Wolf or Muddy Aerolites worth it or are the cheaper ones all you need? I'm not worried about weight or portability. I plan to put them up and leave them up.
    I have and use them all. Both Muddy, Gorilla, and Lone Wolf climbing steps, Ameristep climbing stick ladder, as well as custom welded ladders. It really depends on the situation. Since you aren't concerned about portability, I would rule out the climbing sticks and steps IF your your tree shape will allow a ladder or stick ladder to get you where you want to be. Good luck and be sure to use a safety harness and Hunter's saftey system Lifeline no matter what method you decide!

Comment

watching. Im buying my first hangon and was wondering this exact thing

Comment

For permanent stands by the cheap ones. The high end ones are worth every cent of you are walking a stand in or boating in .5 mile....... 3 miles+.

I just use climbing spikes now so I don't worry with them on most trees. Some I won't spike

Comment

I love Lone Wolf products, and have owned several sets of their sticks and they are awesome. But I wouldn't spend the money on them if you plan to leave them out all season.

Comment

I like these. They are 25' and it gives you a little extra height to get into your hang-on stand. They are reasonable in cost. I have 4 sets of these and I have been pleased with them.

Comment

I like the individual sticks better because they work better on trees with some curves. More flexibility on where you place them.

Do not buy the HAWK ones. They're lightweight but that's the only thing I like. The strap is too high up on them so when you grab the bottom step it ends up coming off the tree a few inches and makes it hard to pull yourself up. Plus after a month or so they get really loud when you step on them.

Definitely buy some with two steps at a time though. Much safer, especially in the dark, and you don't want to have to stand on one leg whole you're hanging your stand.
              Last edited by NoFence; 07-17-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

For permanent use I'd just buy the screw ins and be done. They can be had for $1 a piece off season at walmart and put exactly where you need them, straight tree, slant, wherever..

Don't get me wrong, I like the sticks for portability but for a permanent setup, it doesn't get easier than long time tried and true.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                  For permanent use I'd just buy the screw ins and be done. They can be had for $1 a piece off season at walmart and put exactly where you need them, straight tree, slant, wherever..

Don't get me wrong, I like the sticks for portability but for a permanent setup, it doesn't get easier than long time tried and true.

Hunting timber land so not allowed to put screws into trees. Shoulda mentioned that at first.

Comment

I like the Rapid Rail ladder sections. It doesn't matter how the tree is shaped (straight or crooked), and when you climb down, you can take the last one or two sections with you so no one can get to your stand. Can't do that with climbing sticks.

Comment

Leave up all the time, no question go with cheap ladder sticks

For public land draw hunts or other temporary uses the lighter sticks are hard to beat

Comment

I have used both, but I like the individual sticks for year-round use because I like to remove the bottom couple of sticks to keep my stand more hidden and also keep people from climbing up into it. I also use individual sticks for my permanent practice stand I have hanging on a pine tree in my back yard because I can remove the last set and it keeps my kids and their friends from ever trying to climb into my stand. My kids know better, but I don't expect their friends to.

Comment

Gamewinner 20ft sticks from academy is what I use. They are cheap and pretty well made for leaving them out all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                            I like the Rapid Rail ladder sections. It doesn't matter how the tree is shaped (straight or crooked), and when you climb down, you can take the last one or two sections with you so no one can get to your stand. Can't do that with climbing sticks.

This.

Comment

I've also come to appreciate the ladders/sticks/steps that allow me to put both feet on any given step rather than the ones that alternate between left and right. This is especially beneficial when hanging the stand, and even when getting into and out of the stand. It's nice to have both feet at the same level during any of those tasks.

Comment

Working...
                              X