X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol! I'll take it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Drycreek what variety of clover are you planting? I have never had much luck with red clover as it dies out by March.

I have looked at Burr Medic Clover, but need more info on it.

By the way I can tell by the look on Sarge's face that he aint spoiled and dont want no petting.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        Drycreek what variety of clover are you planting? I have never had much luck with red clover as it dies out by March.

I have looked at Burr Medic Clover, but need more info on it.

By the way I can tell by the look on Sarge's face that he aint spoiled and dont want no petting.
        Sarge is the perfect companion ! No bieoching, no arguments, always ready to go ! All he asks is a piece of bacon in the mornings and a cool bowl of water.

My clover has always been Whitetail Institute. It's expensive, but you get five years or more out of it, so if you pro-rate, it's really not. Besides that, it's the least of what I spend on this stuff. Fertilize every other year in good ground and it's good to go. I've even got a small patch that must have planted off my shredder that has been there seven years now with zero fertilizer and it keeps coming back every year. I use very little of the buck-on-bag seeds, but this is one I'll stick with. I mow it 2/3 times a year and spray once each spring with Clethodim to kill grasses. It's good stuff !

I should add that it grows best in heavy soils, something that isn't well drained. Sand on top of a hill is not what it likes ! WI sells a seed called Extreme that works well in sandy soil and my deer like it too.
        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I just posted the 10 foot grain drill for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
            I just posted the 10 foot grain drill for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
            I'll take a look.

Comment

Clover looks great drycreek
              Got a chance to go tour place today and look at our Plots. We planted these over the years but did not reseed and I am impressed with whitetail institute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-11-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Big Bone, that WINA clover is some good stuff ! If I were planting as much as you have, I might try to duplicate it in cheaper seed, but you can't argue the results ! A good clover stand can't be outrun by browsing. That little narrow strip above has had as many as eight deer eating in it day after day when it was in its prime, which was a few years ago. I used to have several videos, but lost them when my iPad crashed.

Comment

I put out 750 lb. of milorganite on my peas in Trinity Co. Friday. Got some more germination after the rain we had. Looks better now, we need some warm, humid nights to make these peas pop !
                  Attached Files

Comment

These are the peas I planted on my Good Springs lease on April 25th, pictured in post #64. They are off and running !
                    Attached Files

Comment

Above is where my buddy's son hunts, this is where I hunt. Both plots will be in wheat/winter peas this fall.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                        Clover looks great drycreek
                        Got a chance to go tour place today and look at our Plots. We planted these over the years but did not reseed and I am impressed with whitetail institute.

[ATTACH]856039[/ATTACH]

These look awesome. did you use any nitrogen or mow or what? look dang near perfect

Comment

We burn the fields once a year
                          Soil ph in the fields are around 6.7 so that's great. Clover came back great this year without reseeding but mowed twice and it worked out perfect. Crazy how some years work out perfect and then next year I could have all the same setup but not workout at all

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                            We burn the fields once a year
                            Soil ph in the fields are around 6.7 so that's great. Clover came back great this year without reseeding but mowed twice and it worked out perfect. Crazy how some years work out perfect and then next year I could have all the same setup but not workout at all

True ! That clover plot that looks so good in post #52 (I think) looked like dog crap last summer, but as long as you mow it after it blooms and keep the grass killed out early spring, it's just like the Energizer Bunny !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              True ! That clover plot that looks so good in post #52 (I think) looked like dog crap last summer, but as long as you mow it after it blooms and keep the grass killed out early spring, it's just like the Energizer Bunny !

Yea it's hard to believe that mowing benefits as much as it does. My mind is always on chemicals or reseeding. Great thread guys. Ready to see some soybean growth over the next few weeks

Comment

When do you now clover (when does it bloom?)

Comment

Working...
                                X