No announcement yet.

Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish my town had more hills. 50# isn’t much of a challenge in our flat town.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
      I wish my town had more hills. 50# isn’t much of a challenge in our flat town.
      Well...

I wish we had more hills too so 50# would be MORE challenging... especially on shorter 1 hour rucks. But I would offer up that just walking around with 50# supported by your back/chest/hips for a long distance (12+ miles) is quite a challenge, even when the terrain is pretty flat.

Oh and 50# never really seems all the easy the first time you put it on Pretty much because in order to pack heavy weight comfortably, your body really needs to develop that core strength for weight stabilization. Even walking on flat ground, your hip flexors are going to scream after a while.

But I still agree... 50# on flat ground doesn't seem that challenging... now... after several months of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Well...

I wish we had more hills too so 50# would be MORE challenging... especially on shorter 1 hour rucks. But I would offer up that just walking around with 50# supported by your back/chest/hips for a long distance (12+ miles) is quite a challenge, even when the terrain is pretty flat.

Oh and 50# never really seems all the easy the first time you put it on Pretty much because in order to pack heavy weight comfortably, your body really needs to develop that core strength for weight stabilization. Even walking on flat ground, your hip flexors are going to scream after a while.

But I still agree... 50# on flat ground doesn't seem that challenging... now... after several months of doing it.

Yeah I know I’m carrying it a little wrong because my shoulders start to feel it first, but I just wish that I could get my heart rate up and keep it there with more incline instead of the time tradeoff of a longer ruck.

Comment

Yeah I know I’m carrying it a little wrong because my shoulders start to feel it first, but I just wish that I could get my heart rate up and keep it there with more incline instead of the time tradeoff of a longer ruck.
          Ah, okay... I get what you are saying. Yeah, it would be nice to get a higher cardio benefit from rucking and inclines would help with that. I've always viewed it more as a strength/endurance type of workout... slow and strong. I've only ever got a good cardio workout when I used to ride a bike (can't run) and I've kept putting off trying to improve that aspect of my fitness again (sustained high intensity.)

I have an overpass with a walk way near work that I plan on hitting in the spring during lunch to get some elevation work.... will be pretty boring... but focused. Also have a few good buildings with 8 flights of stairs to mix in.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Ah, okay... I get what you are saying. Yeah, it would be nice to get a higher cardio benefit from rucking and inclines would help with that. I've always viewed it more as a strength/endurance type of workout... slow and strong. I've only ever got a good cardio workout when I used to ride a bike (can't run) and I've kept putting off trying to improve that aspect of my fitness again (sustained high intensity.)

I have an overpass with a walk way near work that I plan on hitting in the spring during lunch to get some elevation work.... will be pretty boring... but focused. Also have a few good buildings with 8 flights of stairs to mix in.

I thought you might have miss took that earlier.

Core strength is definitely a strength of mine which is why I want the cardio. I hate running, don’t have a bike and with 4 kids I barely have the time to ruck and I usually don’t go unless my wife bribes me

Comment

Wife asked if I wanted to go for a stroll after dinner... so another 3.6 miles in with the 65er and I have 20 miles for the new year. Hope my calves forgive me in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

This is probably going to come off as a smart arse answer, but I don't mean it that way.

Just walk at a faster pace.

Seriously. If you have some kind of tracking device that can show you your pace while walking, use that to create a baseline. Meaning, go for a normal ruck under load and see what you get. Say it shows you're moving at 20:00 min/mile. Next time, bump that up to 19:00 min/mile and see how that feels. And then keep going from there. You don't have to run, but walking at a faster pace, and maintaining that pace over distance will make a difference in your cardio.

Just my 2 pesos.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                  This is probably going to come off as a smart arse answer, but I don't mean it that way.

Just walk at a faster pace.

Seriously. If you have some kind of tracking device that can show you your pace while walking, use that to create a baseline. Meaning, go for a normal ruck under load and see what you get. Say it shows you're moving at 20:00 min/mile. Next time, bump that up to 19:00 min/mile and see how that feels. And then keep going from there. You don't have to run, but walking at a faster pace, and maintaining that pace over distance will make a difference in your cardio.

Just my 2 pesos.

I walk as fast as I can without breaking into a jog Not sure on the pace, but I have short legs so it’s not super fast, but it’s as fast as I can go lol

Comment

I walk as fast as I can without breaking into a jog Not sure on the pace, but I have short legs so it’s not super fast, but it’s as fast as I can go lol
                    I've not used it (I have a Garmin GPS I use for my tracking), but a quick Google spit out "iSmoothRun" as a highly rated app ($5 and looks only for iPhone). I took a quick look and you can use it to set up a "virtual training partner" which means you input a certain pace you want to move at and when you hit start it will constantly let you know if you're over/under your pace.

Comment

What do you guys think of this pack for a beginner? It's in the budget and I can pick it up today.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                        Are there any good areas to ruck around Tomball/Cypress/Montgomery area? I would like to start doing weekend rucks, I miss living in Arizona where I could go do hike all the time!
                        I use some mountain bike trails off of cypresswood. They are cypress creek mountain bike trails ( You can park between Grant and Jones road on Cypresswood ). Have some good up and down elevation built in and I live right there. Can get about an 8 mile loop without repeating too.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                          My favorite workout to do by a long shot is throwing 60# on my back and just walking. Turn on a podcast and I can go for days. It comes in handy when you want to hunt and pack out your deer without dragging anywhere.

[ATTACH]882201[/ATTACH]
                          Is that an EXO pack? If so which one and how do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                            Is that an EXO pack? If so which one and how do you like it?
                            Yes it’s an Exo. It is the k2 3500. I am very pleased with the overall capacity and performance. I use it at least 3 times a week with about 60# in it for backpack cardio and I have never had an issue with discomfort. It is easy to load up and the load stays in place with minimal tweaking while you walk. The frame articulates very well which keeps my hips from hurting.

As far as hunting, I can fit enough clothes in it to go to deer camp for up to 5 days if I don’t put any cooking stuff in it. I have yet to take it to Colorado, but I’d feel comfortable backpacking in for at least three days with it if I had the right gear. As you can see in the pic, it has changed the way I look at hauling out deer.

The people at Exo are also some of the nicest folks I’ve talked to. They sent out a Christmas card and another sticker last week, and I can always get a hold of the owners when I have questions or even suggestions. They are not a large company, but the quality is definitely there.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                              Yes it’s an Exo. It is the k2 3500. I am very pleased with the overall capacity and performance. I use it at least 3 times a week with about 60# in it for backpack cardio and I have never had an issue with discomfort. It is easy to load up and the load stays in place with minimal tweaking while you walk. The frame articulates very well which keeps my hips from hurting.

As far as hunting, I can fit enough clothes in it to go to deer camp for up to 5 days if I don’t put any cooking stuff in it. I have yet to take it to Colorado, but I’d feel comfortable backpacking in for at least three days with it if I had the right gear. As you can see in the pic, it has changed the way I look at hauling out deer.

The people at Exo are also some of the nicest folks I’ve talked to. They sent out a Christmas card and another sticker last week, and I can always get a hold of the owners when I have questions or even suggestions. They are not a large company, but the quality is definitely there.

Thanks for the info! I have been trying to decide between an Exo or the Mystery Ranch Metcalf or marshall. I have found a few of those on sale lately.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                                What do you guys think of this pack for a beginner? It's in the budget and I can pick it up today.

https://www.gtdist.com/red-rock-assault-pack-1.html

You’re really gonna want a waist strap and I don’t see this bag having one

Comment

Working...
                                X