No announcement yet.

What I Shot vs. What I Got (taxidermy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mount doesn't look as bad as his pic as it sat in my office for a month or more. There is something wonky with the camera angle (wide angle lens) as the nose is not that wide. Here is another pic of it (it's on the left).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-25 13.08.50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	24551435

With that said, the horns are just not right. The rest of the mount doesn't look as bad as it does in his pic. I'm glad they're stepping up. Respectable shop that I hope will make it right.

Comment

I’m truely sorry but that’s awful taxi work. Hope he makes it right

Comment

Yeah that’s a better pic. Get the horns adjusted and it will be good.

Comment

First let me say I don't do taxidermy for a living but I do love to hunt goats and do my own mounts and I hope i can explain the differences between lets say mounting a WT and antelope. First is the manikins. Most deer species are pretty uniform in their skull dimensions so little if any modifications need to be made. goats on the other hand are not so uniform and who ever does the work may need to alter the form to get the distance between the eyes correct.(that is why you have the narrow face) Now we come to the horns which aren't horns at all but hair. There are 3 components here that a taxidermist has to deal with. Once you remove the outer sheath there will be i'll call it the inner core which is where the growth for next years horn will come from. That has to be removed and under that will be the actual bone that supports everything. Once that inner core has been removed if you were to put the outer sheath back on it will flop around like you where wearing shoes that were way to big for your feet and that makes it next to impossible to know how things should look without a picture. This is just my opinion but Antelope are more difficult to do than deer at least for me. they don't fall into standard dimensions like deer do and their hair is hollow that curls in all sorts of different directions. So take lots of picture from different angles, give them to whoever is doing the work and don't assume that because they do great deer mounts that they can do great antelope mounts . Look for some one who does a lot of them no matter what you are having done and is good at it. Antelope are beautiful animals and make what I think a very impressive mount. I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Is taxi work worth it anymore?
            No. Euro is all I’ll ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              The mount doesn't look as bad as his pic as it sat in my office for a month or more. There is something wonky with the camera angle (wide angle lens) as the nose is not that wide. Here is another pic of it (it's on the left).

With that said, the horns are just not right. The rest of the mount doesn't look as bad as it does in his pic. I'm glad they're stepping up. Respectable shop that I hope will make it right.
              The mount definitely looks better in that better photo. Horns are still off, but hopefully that'll be an easy fix.

Comment

How is he going to remove the black paint without damaging the cape?

Comment

I only shoot small, cull animals, so I never have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                    Did texastaxi do that?

Looks kind of like the Aoudad mount he did for me...

OK, now I know you might be a little mad about the dikfer, but don't be posting stuff like that ... I did not mount that, and that's not even funny. The ugly lion that you posted for Jeremy, was kinda funny.

I WAS actually going to start on your deer this weekend.

WAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                      The whole thing looks different, cape, horns and all. Maybe there was a tag mix up at the shop?
                      The nose section looks more like a caribou.

And it looks like someone may have cut the skull plate instead of mounting it intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        OK, now I know you might be a little mad about the dikfer, but don't be posting stuff like that ... I did not mount that, and that's not even funny. The ugly lion that you posted for Jeremy, was kinda funny.

I WAS actually going to start on your deer this weekend.

WAS!

Lol...your going about this all wrong! That is just the tip of the iceberg! That deer is about the only thing that will slow me down [emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                          Left side is twisted back. Both horns are in a more narrow and less open stance.
                          I don't see anything that is the same, except the species. Would be asking a LOT of ?s !!
                          Last edited by tdwinklr; 08-31-2018, 06:32 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                            I will have mine mounted in Wyoming then.
                            Thanks for the heads up.
                            Good idea.
                            That is not anywhere near right. Antelope horns can only go back on the cores one way. That is not your antelope.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                              Did texastaxi do that?

Looks kind of like the Aoudad mount he did for me...

He looks so sad...

Comment

As far as the horns go, those are the correct horns. No doubt. When putting the horns back onto the skull cap on antelope there is some wiggle room. He either wiggled too much or possibly used a skull cap off another pronghorn. It's also possible that the skull cap was broken and not put back together correctly. As far as the cape, I thought I saw some of the same scars on the face, but didn't really look that close.

Comment

Working...
                                X