Public Land Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Hunters

Are any of you guys starting( or fixing) to scout and get a line on some of the bucks your gonna hunt or are most of you waiting for cool weather? I have been hitting it pretty hard. I found that scouting on a day that's trying to storm, breezy and sprinkling on and off is pretty awesome. Let's hear from some of you hard core hunters. What have you been finding, any sheds, buck tracks, last years rubs and scrapes? I have seen several instances of bachelor groups going across the logging roads with a couple of serious contenders in the groups. A buddy found a complete set of sheds a couple of weeks ago, of a 14 inch 9 pointer. The big bucks I was hunting last year have made themselves scarce. I know some routes they rutted through last year, but where they came from or went is not obvious(big country). It's amazing how they come out of the woodwork during the rut, just to disappear afterwards. Their antlers will be filling out here shortly. We put a couple of cameras, so hopefully we will getting some pics soon.

Chime in Guy's and Gal's, with what's happening in your neck of the woods.

Been scouting some Public land...found a couple of spots of interest.

Comment

Cool Calvin, hope you get on a big buck.

Comment

All of the public land that I hunt is either under water or has been over the past month. The buck in my avatar was killed about a mile from the truck and made for a lot of work by myself to get him out. The year I killed him there were several shooters that I had got on trail cams but I haven't been back in that area since. Maybe I'll make it back down there this fall.

Comment

Its been a few years since I killed a good one. I saw one last season that I would like to get, but, I think someone beat me to it. Looking at some new places and feel very positive about it. Found a place that every bush and sapling in that small area was tore up and had several scrapes, lots of tracks. Probably gonna open up right there and spend a good portion of the rut there...only problem is, I only found 1 shed.

Comment

excessive water has prevented me from doing any scouting or shed hunting in the area I have hunted on public (draw) land.

Comment

I'm planning to give Oklahoma public land a try this season. I haven't had a chance to get up there to scout yet.

Comment

Starting to run the cameras again. Got a few bucks, but the cam was in video mode. Not sure of posting video on the tbh. But one buck was a ten point we have been getting, this being his 3rd year. He must be about 7 years old and has not changed a bit. Problem is that his tine length just isn't there. But that being said, if he makes a mistake this year he is going down!

Comment

THERE ARE NO DEER ON ANY PUBLIC LANDS..So move along..

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                    THERE ARE NO DEER ON ANY PUBLIC LANDS..So move along..

Comment

Haven't gotten out there yet... A lot o the COE land is still pretty wet so I'll wait til it dries out a lil more

Comment

Been out a few times up here and got a cam up a couple of weeks ago, I'll be back out Friday morning to check it and probably move it to another spot that the wind tends to favor in late September

Comment

I am moving my cams around the edges of the clearcuts, old logging roads, and creek crossings. Slowly go through the various hunting spots I know and a few new areas. Hope to have a shooters lined out(theoretically) in a couple of months. Good luck everyone.
                          Last edited by buckmastertexas; 07-01-2015, 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Got a medium 8 point on the clear cut cam, I am thinking about 14 inch spread. Also got a 12 inch basket 6 and a young buck looking to be a yearling 4 point. I think I will let the cam set there for another week, hoping a bigger buck will walk the edge of the clear cut, but I think I got the main players in that spot. The rest of the cams got does and one struck out totally.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Been under water. Not much for me to scout, they'll run the big sloughs.

Comment

Working...
                              X