No announcement yet.

Places to fly fish in Texas/Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly fishing guide service for Central Texas based in Austin, Texas. Guided fishing trips on the Guadalupe River, San Marcos River and the Colorado River as well as other Texas Hill Country rivers.

Comment

Any water that has fish in it is good for fly fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I see them catching a lot of striped bass below the dam on flys at red river.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
          Broken bow?? What did you catch them on?
          We used ultra lite gear and salmon eggs & berkly power bait. Fished off the little island across from the paddle boat rental in the park

Comment

bump!! Anybody done any good lately at Beavers Bend? Hopefully wet a line Friday morning somewhere up there but never fished the river outside of winter!

Comment

Anywhere along the upper Guadalupe is good for fly fishing. If he has a canoe and a partner he can float numerous stretches and do very well with poppers and spiders (bream killers). The lower Guad can fish well if you go when the masses are not there. The Llano river near Junction can fish well also for river bass, bream etc. The Brazos below Possum Kingdom dam and below Whitney dam will fish well if they are letting water out. The Pedernales is supposed to be a good place to fish as well although I've only been on that river once or twice.

In Oklahoma you can float and fish the Glover River (3.5 hours from DFW). Beautiful, scenic and super remote. Be sure and have at least two canoes and know your map and area before you launch.

We just got back from floating the Upper Mountain Fork river that runs into Broken Bow (4.5 hours from DFW). We tore the river bass and goggle-eyed perch (rock bass) up on poppers and spiders. Our canoeing group floats that river every year and it always fishes good.

There are also numerous floatable rivers in Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas that fish well, especially with fly rods. The mighty Mulberry River near Ft. Smith in Arkansas is great for catching goggle-eyes (rock bass) on #4 poppers. It is generally a class II-III river so bring your A game for paddling. Beautiful country up there for sure.

Tight lines!
              Attached Files

Comment

Blue River. Tishamingo area, I was told was great fly fishing in Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Blue River. Tishamingo area, I was told was great fly fishing in Oklahoma
                  This is a great place. Its also a lot closer then Broken Bow.

Comment

Caught a few so far!! Little man is kinda spoiled. Said trout fishing is a lot slower than crappie fishing! Next trip the Triton is coming and we will terrorize the slabs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell him to get some poppers and go after perch. It is a blast.

Comment

Blue River but trout only from November-March, water gets too warm. They do put in some really nice fish. Fly fishing would mainly be from wading out onto rocks/rapids, we wear waders and and fish from them but don't fly fish. Lot's of fly fisherman go north of hwy 7 to catch and release area.....

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Pretty biased to Beaver's Bend/ Lower Mountain Fork River in OK myself
                          I have seen some big trout come out of that river.

Comment

any piece of water/creek/stream/river/lake/pond/tank that has any kind of fish in it.

there are a heck of a lot of different fish that will drag trout backerds till they drown in Texas waters. Match yer fly and approach/tech to the fish and have at em. Bass, brim, crappie, catfish, carp, gar, and a LOT of light saltwater fish.

Comment

On Forest Ln. and 75 in Dallas. Creek that runs on the west side of the hospital!! Lots of large pockets in there, some very big Bass!

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                                Grass carp out of Braes Bayou in Houston can be pretty sporting, gotta bring your A game for these unlikely ditch missiles.
                                Hooking one of them is like tying your line to the hitch on a Corvette and then having the driver floor it!!! Used to catch them in Lake Placid prior to the '98 flood.

The Guadalupe below Canyon Dam has trout in it too--if he's looking for trout. I prefer largemouths on the flyrod myself, and you can fish for them all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X